attn: all JTV Variax owners:

Cool .... I just got a JTV-59 (Korean) 2 days ago and just updated it to FW1.9 last night ..... I'm pretty impressed with the guitar as a normal guitar (I like a chunky neck) .... the modelling end of things well it's a bit better than the older gubbins in the Variax 700 I had .... but some models are total crap and using non standard tuning on some demonstrates noticable latency. As a swiss army tool to put together a quick demo it's great though

man I just wish those did palm muting better... uggh. would solve a lot of my guitar changes at gigs.

Yep,Line 6 is well aware of this yet every video produced by them purposely avoids this issue.IMO this makes the guitar completely unusable.My jtv69 is a paper weight collecting dust.If palm muting is not important to you and If anyone is interested in buying a rarely played jtv69,PM me Ill give you a great price.

Yep,Line 6 is well aware of this yet every video produced by them purposely avoids this issue.IMO this makes the guitar completely unusable.My jtv69 is a paper weight collecting dust.If palm muting is not important to you and If anyone is interested in buying a rarely played jtv69,PM me Ill give you a great price.

I haven't checked it out yet and I haven't picked up any of my other guitars since receiving my Parker but the text in their download implies they are at least trying to address the issue. To what success I guess is up to the individual player.

Free v1.9 Update for James Tyler Variax

This free release offers enhanced palm muting for all guitars and introduces five new high-gain models exclusively for JTV-89.

I haven't checked it out yet and I haven't picked up any of my other guitars since receiving my Parker but the text in their download implies they are at least trying to address the issue. To what success I guess is up to the individual player.

Free v1.9 Update for James Tyler Variax

This free release offers enhanced palm muting for all guitars and introduces five new high-gain models exclusively for JTV-89.

They've been addressing this issue since the variax 500 was introduced 10 years ago.There are many variax players out there that are disgusted with this issue.Line6 knows this, yet still do nothing about it.The last firmware 1.9 was supposed to address the palm muting issue was a failure.And this new 2.0 update is a failure also.

They've been addressing this issue since the variax 500 was introduced 10 years ago.There are many variax players out there that are disgusted with this issue.Line6 knows this, yet still do nothing about it.The last firmware 1.9 was supposed to address the palm muting issue was a failure.And this new 2.0 update is a failure also.

As I said, I haven't touched my Variax for quite awhile. Long before fw 1.9 for sure. I don't really care about the palm muting issue either. I just thought It odd that you said they avoid the topic yet when I went to their page today they actually say they addressed it. Obviously not to your content. Bummer.

Ok, I just have to ask. Sorry. So if palm muting is so important to you and you were also aware that Line6 had been "failing" in the area for over 10 years then why on earth did you buy one? :roll

As I said, I haven't touched my Variax for quite awhile. Long before fw 1.9 for sure. I don't really care about the palm muting issue either. I just thought It odd that you said they avoid the topic yet when I went to their page today they actually say they addressed it. Obviously not to your content. Bummer.

Ok, I just have to ask. Sorry. So if palm muting is so important to you and you were also aware that Line6 had been "failing" in the area for over 10 years then why on earth did you buy one? :roll

When you really believe in something you are convinced its superior.This being the second gen of the variax I and many others had hoped the PMI would have been solved.So naturally I bought a variax.You say you dont care about the PM,so obviously you are not that type of player.Fine,but many of us are.PM is essential to my technique and is absolutely required for the type of music I play.High gain(never enough) peel your face off metal.Line6 can say whatever they want but the truth is in the playing.For some its great just the way it is,but for myself its not acceptable,and probably never will be.

When you really believe in something you are convinced its superior.This being the second gen of the variax I and many others had hoped the PMI would have been solved.So naturally I bought a variax.You say you dont care about the PM,so obviously you are not that type of player.Fine,but many of us are.PM is essential to my technique and is absolutely required for the type of music I play.High gain(never enough) peel your face off metal.Line6 can say whatever they want but the truth is in the playing.For some its great just the way it is,but for myself its not acceptable,and probably never will be.

You are correct in that I am not that type of a player. I guess I was just wondering why you bought it knowing the issues with regards to your playing style. You bought on faith and were let down so now I understand. Hopefully one day they will come thru for ya.

I bought and returned a JTV-89
There was just something not right that went away when I tossed the Les Paul back on.
It would have been OK if I used the Magnetic Pick Ups, but I would rather just use my Dark Fire Les Paul in that case...
Not sure if the HD update makes it any better... But for me it was unusable.

Imagine Fractal building a guitar that does modeling like this. I look at Line 6 stuff and still think "toys". I know the gear is focused on a wider range of consumer and all that, but still...compared to the Axe....it's a toy IMHO. I want a guitar like this but haven't pulled the trigger mainly due to Line 6 history...always wanting people to cough up money to pay for the fixes that were their short comings.. Free updates like this are cool though. Maybe Cliff is affecting the market with his incessant drive for perfection ? If someone does come up with a guitar that covers the bases as much as Fractal does, what a great time we live in !

I like the update - the acoustics are changed. I don't care what anyone says; they are different. My Tone Match that I was using was perfect; after the update it sounded like crap. Listening raw to the acoustics, you can hear it is different now than the last "HD" update. Reshot my tone match, boom. Right back where I needed to be. Far different curve; that's another way I KNOW the acoustics have changed from v1.xx to v2.00.

The entire modeling thing from them is much better here; and the star of the show are the better tunings. There is a more immediate feel to the modeling than before - you still have the sense of 'separation' from the modeling, but it is better now. I am impressed - seriously - with what they did to Workbench; I *hated* that app, this new "HD" version is very cool.

IMHO.

Scott, do you have custom tunings stored in your JTV ? If yes, were they still there after the update ?

I like the update - the acoustics are changed. I don't care what anyone says; they are different. My Tone Match that I was using was perfect; after the update it sounded like crap. Listening raw to the acoustics, you can hear it is different now than the last "HD" update. Reshot my tone match, boom. Right back where I needed to be. Far different curve; that's another way I KNOW the acoustics have changed from v1.xx to v2.00.

The entire modeling thing from them is much better here; and the star of the show are the better tunings. There is a more immediate feel to the modeling than before - you still have the sense of 'separation' from the modeling, but it is better now. I am impressed - seriously - with what they did to Workbench; I *hated* that app, this new "HD" version is very cool.

IMHO.

Could it be because you have a prototype?

I've been really interested in one of these for a while. Specifically for the ability to swap tunings and for acoustic emulation.
I'd love to hear some examples of the variax HD coupled with the axe 2.

The new workbench is much more usable, switching models and tunings can happen very quickly. I liked the tones I messed around with a bit, although I didn't fully explore the new firmware. This guitar would never be my primary, because I have others that I prefer more for their feel and specific tones, but it's a pretty solid solution for what it's trying to accomplish and it's a great songwriting and gigging tool. Line 6 doesn't always make crap. I also have a Relay G50 wireless which is a solid unit.

Back
Top Bottom