Atomic CLR or 2x QSC K12

bigfoamfinger

Inspired
I have been using 2x K12’s (v1). I keep one at the rehearsal space and one at home. I really like these speakers BUT my waitlist came up for a CLR NEO and they offered me $200 off because of the long wait. I would have to sell both K12’s to cover it.

So, is a single CLR really that much better than having 2 K12’s? Can the CLR double as a PA speaker?

I have been using 2x K12’s (v1). I keep one at the rehearsal space and one at home. I really like these speakers BUT my waitlist came up for a CLR NEO and they offered me $200 off because of the long wait. I would have to sell both K12’s to cover it.

So, is a single CLR really that much better than having 2 K12’s? Can the CLR double as a PA speaker?
I found the K12 really clear and loud, but had a harshness in the upper mids and I couldn't deal with it. Would love to try the CLRs just because of all the hype, but the horror stories of not being able to get them serviced should anything go wrong scare me off.

I found the K12 really clear and loud, but had a harshness in the upper mids and I couldn't deal with it. Would love to try the CLRs just because of all the hype, but the horror stories of not being able to get them serviced should anything go wrong scare me off.
I haven’t heard these stories. Why the service issues?

I haven’t heard these stories. Why the service issues?
i think atomic has dropped the ball in general. they were claiming the service/repair (absurd) delays were due to parts shortage but cmon, 1 year or more to fix a clr or an amplifire? i dont buy it. their speakers are great and their modelers too especially for the price you could get some fantastic sounds out of them but they are non existent as far as support goes both in software with updates and fixes and in repairing broken products. imo they're one step away from shutting down at this point.
btw havent tried them personally but many people say the redsound speakers are as good as the clrs

I have 2 CLRs in the Neo version and love them.

They fill a 20 x 15 living room on occasion quite well without breaking a sweat.

Depending upon the room and desired dB SPL, I could use them as PA in a pub gig with a good limiter to protect them, since live gigs tend to have unforeseen mayhem like a singer dropping their mic or an audience sing along having a wannabe screamo vocalist join in.

I had a K12 for probably 10+ years, never failed me, got great tones out of it. I had the opportunity to get a CLR and then another (never had an issue with either of them), and they are just different. Sound better? I'd say more accurate, not really hyped anywhere. Using high and low cuts can usually take care of the low end hype. If it ain't broke? Could always just get one and try it, I'm sure you could turn it very quickly if you didn't like it.

I have 2 Atomic CLRs. Been fighting IR's and FRFRs for years and always went the route of using traditional guitar cabinets with my AXE FX or Kemper. Tried numerous other high end FRFR's and never gelled. Had a mint CLR come up for a great price locally and so I took a chance on it and I am so glad I did. Now all of my traditional guitar cabinets are sold and now I live in the FRFR/IR world and simply have the best tone I have ever had in 40+ years of playing.

i think atomic has dropped the ball in general. they were claiming the service/repair (absurd) delays were due to parts shortage but cmon, 1 year or more to fix a clr or an amplifire? i dont buy it. their speakers are great and their modelers too especially for the price you could get some fantastic sounds out of them but they are non existent as far as support goes both in software with updates and fixes and in repairing broken products. imo they're one step away from shutting down at this point.
btw havent tried them personally but many people say the redsound speakers are as good as the clrs
As far as I can tell, Atomic has always been incredibly inconsistent in support. It's the same story in every thread about Atomic service (on this forum and others) going back 10+ years.

I’ve had 2 CLR Neos for years and love them. One power amp went out last month, contacted Tom via email and he replaced it and it’s good as new. He did say he had trouble sourcing parts in the past. If the Redsound MF10s weren’t so costly in the US I would try those out as well as I’ve heard great things

2 x CLR Neo here too. I dealt with the ghosting issues Atomic had on service as well, but had some conversations with Tom and decided to support the “renaissance“ of Atomic by getting my CLR repaired and adding a second. No doubt they are great speakers, arguably the best out there. If Tom takes care of business, he’ll have all the business he can handle. Admittedly a big if, considering the history, but I put my money on him sticking with it.

Were I to change, I’d try the EV PXM-12MP @Greg Ferguson mentions above. It’s received solid reviews from some knowledgeable users and service has been good.

I’m happy with the CLRs, and generally only need one for gigging so I’ve built in a backup. QSC makes some killer speaker systems, but I’ve not tried them with my FAS gear.

Back
Top Bottom