Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell

without the last missing part of this FRFR rig I'm feeling a bit of a tit .....

I am sure I am missing the bad part of that...

I'm hopeful the Matrix or CLR will be available soon, been hearing about them too long to not be hearing them!

I hope these become available soon, I cannot for the life of me get this unit to sound good thru a power amp (ART SLA2 or Mesa 50/50)
out to into my Recto 2X12. It sounds cardboardy and fizzy, anything but like a real amp.
And it sounds so good thru my KRK 8's.
I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these either Atomic or Matrix. :)

I hope these become available soon, I cannot for the life of me get this unit to sound good thru a power amp (ART SLA2 or Mesa 50/50)
out to into my Recto 2X12. It sounds cardboardy and fizzy, anything but like a real amp.
And it sounds so good thru my KRK 8's.
I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these either Atomic or Matrix. :)

Power amp sims are turned off, right?

No thru the Art, Power amp sims are on
I was under the impression that thru a neutral power amp the preferred method is Power amp =on
cabs=off, which is what I'm doing (well I'm routing thru and FX loop block which basically does that for me.

Cab sims are turned off? :)

As for the power amp sims, try both off and on, and see which way sounds best.

Cab sims are turned off? :)

As for the power amp sims, try both off and on, and see which way sounds best.
yes cab sims are off, and my Recto Cab is a great sounding cab (with a real amp)
I'm very disappointed

Last edited:
Your is the first post I've seen where someone had trouble getting a good tone through amp & cab. Can you post a clip (I'm not sure what "cardboardy" is, and "fizzy" can mean a lot of things)?

Specs a deal breaker? How come?

Back when the Reactor series came out and FR solutions were becoming more recognized there were people that wanted to see technical specs before they would consider buying. I know this can be trivial at best but given that Mr. Mitchell put his head in the design, for the number driven folks out there would there be something for them to look at?

Mr Jay might be an outstanding designer, no question. But there are a lot more outstanding designers not playing guitar, enjoying the axe or are active on guitar forums. So if Atomic decides not to publish the specs I can understand that some would choose another solution were specs are provided. Matrix is in this perspect a good alternative.
All the high end manufactures (tannoy etc.) provide you every spec and even more if ask for it. So you have a point.

I guess we still have to wait and see. I can't really believe Atomic are not going to publish a spec when they ship, I am ssuming thats a mis-understanding. There are good reasons for not publishing spec before you actually know what you are building, and I guess you might want to hold the spec back until the product launch .. make a big splash and all that. I'm pretty confident Atomic will be publishing a spec with the units they ship.

If the "late may" rumour is actually true, then Atomic certainly do know the spec, as the boat from Guandong to New York takes around 6 weeks, and they will need a week to clear the port, shipping agents, get them out of the container, checked and packed ready to go. I guess there is still some uncertainty on "yield" ... you typically expect to bin 30 to 50% of this sort of product from China, so the actual amuont of sellable ones is probably unknown to Atomic at this point ... all they will know is whats in the container.

So they would need to land in NYC in the next 2 weeks to hit the "late may, early june" date, so the container must have left about a month ago. With that in mind, the spec must have been pretty much fixed a while back.

With Matrix apparently doing another show soon with their wedges, I guess they too are close to having production quantities available ... I guess since they make them in England and ship by UPS, their lead times are lower.

Its begiining to look like they will hit the streets at roughly the same time ... :) now that is exciting.

I think we can safely guess at the Matrix specs as the driver is now well known, and I'm assuming that their "GM100" module has been designed to fully exploit its capabilities.

The spec on the "Celestion" one should also be pretty clear, as spec for that Celestion co-axial is available. I couldn't see an amp module on that picture of the smaller wedge, so maybe that one will be unpowered? or maybe the GM50 module? What ever happened to that "floor mounted" module there was a picture of on another Matrix thread? That migh tbe a good match with the Matrix "Celestion" wedge??

Whatever, exciting times ...

Last edited:
Interesting that you 'know' so much, focus on China and pitch Matrix so hard with so much knowledge of Matrix on an Atomic thread. LOL . Reads like spam or marketing less than conversation. They pay you for that or something? LOL.

Last edited:
Your is the first post I've seen where someone had trouble getting a good tone through amp & cab. Can you post a clip (I'm not sure what "cardboardy" is, and "fizzy" can mean a lot of things)?

All right what is up with this unit????
I unplugged the ARt and plugged my MESA 50/50 back into it. No difference, so I decided to turn the cab sims off (instead of just leaving them on and going thru the FXloop block out to Output 2 (copy 1 to 2 is on)
Ok that's different, then I turned the Power amp sims off. Ok that's differnt too.
So I turn the Power amp sims back on and all of a sudden the unit comes to life and sounds much more like I would expect it to.
I turned the Cab sims back on and no difference (which is exactly what I would expect going out thru the FX loop.
Now I'm really confused???

Hahah, nope.

Just trying to figure out whats going to pop out of the chocolate factory next :D .. I only know what I've picked up on here. You can figure out the shipping timescales yourself, its hardly rocket science. If they are going to be shipping late may june, as *you* said then they must have already left .. so they must have a spec, and as all the other Atomic stuff has a published spec, Im certain they will produce a spec for this. I'm pretty sure that suggestion in the comment earlier that they might not publish a spec is not right.

I just like a good mystery, thats all, and theres been so much build-up to this, I been getting excited ever since that teaser vid in Janaury. Seeing the Matrix ones in Newcastle just got me even more excited, but the other show is over Liverpool or somewhere i think, too far for me to go :(

Whatever, I wanna hear them both side by side, simple.

Last edited:
All right what is up with this unit????
I unplugged the ARt and plugged my MESA 50/50 back into it. No difference, so I decided to turn the cab sims off (instead of just leaving them on and going thru the FXloop block out to Output 2 (copy 1 to 2 is on)
Ok that's different, then I turned the Power amp sims off. Ok that's differnt too.
So I turn the Power amp sims back on and all of a sudden the unit comes to life and sounds much more like I would expect it to.
I turned the Cab sims back on and no difference (which is exactly what I would expect going out thru the FX loop.

Ohh, interesting, what version of sw? Not by any chance done an update recently? I wonder if you found a bug in V6? or maybe theres some wierdness where DSP data is only getting loaded from the V6 sims as they are turned off and on again? sorta sounds like there was a dodgy sim in the DSP, and when you turned it off and on again, it flushed out the bad data and put the right stuff in .. and tonal greatness was restored :)

Last edited:
I have done (in the last week) an upgrade to 6.0. My sytem got shot by an apparently corrupted sysex file (exported cab IR)
went back to 5.07, then went back to 6.0 and finally got it working again.
I don't knwo wwhat I did but it's like night and day now from what it was, that's for sure.
going to retube the 50/50 with some fresh JJ 6L6's right now and see if I can re capture the gratness of my old Mark IV (I had it pretty close in 5.07)
be back in a few :)

No difference, so I decided to turn the cab sims off (instead of just leaving them on and going thru the FXloop block out to Output 2 (copy 1 to 2 is on)

If you have copy output 1 to output 2 enabled then I would expect the fx loop to be disabled. I would expect that you would get exactly the same sound from output 1, including cab etc.

To use output 2 to bypass the cab block, turn off the output copy and place the fx loop block somewhere before the cab block in the chain.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Yeah, sounds like you had some Bad Things (tm) in there .. it is often the case with this sort of stuff that the DSP elements "cache" the settings, so the processor is just sending the configuration and paramters down to the DSP whenever a new sim is selected, and not actually having to do too much of the heavy lifting while its in use.

Sounds to me like you just ended up with a bad patch in the DSP and taking the cab sim in and out refreshed it all nicely.

You could always treat yourself to a nice matched pair of genuine Sylvania tubes :)

Back
Top Bottom