Atomic active CLR - Missing "body"

I have no idea how those IRs are supposed to be used.
Anyone?

I haven't mixed any with them in a while, (I'm assuming you mean the Impedance curves) ,but they are suppose to be mixed with the relative IR to simulate the impedance curve of the speaker reacting to a power amp( I would assume tube power amp) at the time myself, I was mixing them on the redwires site with their online mixer, I plan to experiment with them again with CabLab , mixed ,and series to see what the results are. What has raise my curiosity is the threads lately about matching impedance curves to the speakers! IIRC they scoop the tone a bit and add some resonant frequencies! This was in the Ultra days for me!

Back on topic:

Tom Quayle recently posted a recording.

Besides his playing I was very impressed by the tone.
He mixed two RW IRs, one of them being an IR that captured the back of the cab (TC30-Back-6in, found in the Ambient folder).

Inspired by this unusual mix, I went to work. I added a "back of cab" IR to my favorite RW recipe, using Cab-Lab.
The result so far is very promising!
There's a natural boost in the low end / low mids, adding notable thump and depth, providing body and a percussive aspect to the sound.
Much different than adding bass, EQ-ing or whatever.

I then did the same with my OwnHammer IRs (even though OH already provides pre-mixed "LIVE" IRs).
I was glad to find an equivalent "rear" IR in the Studio 1x12 DLX set.
Adding that to the mix has the same result as described above. While maintaining the overall character of the tone.
Mission accomplished.

I'm going to run with these new mixes in the coming weeks and see how they turn out live.

Rehearsed with these IRs tonight. It certainly shows promise, as described. 50%-50% mix is a little too much, so I'm going to adjust that and see how that works out.

Last edited:
are we trying to make it so when we close our eyes and just listen, we couldn't tell the difference between our FRFR and the real cab "in the room"?

perhaps adding some "back of cab" data to the IR will give the timbre and eq of that sensation, but the physicality of sound exiting the rear of a cab, hitting the walls, curtains, stage, drumset etc then bouncing to our ears in its own natural phase and timing with the sound from the front of the speaker and cab, i would think, would never be reproduced by a single closed box speaker not having those real-time reflections.

but i'm lucky i guess - i think it sounds fine and haven't missed a real cab sound in 6+ years!

are we trying to make it so when we close our eyes and just listen, we couldn't tell the difference between our FRFR and the real cab "in the room"?

perhaps adding some "back of cab" data to the IR will give the timbre and eq of that sensation, but the physicality of sound exiting the rear of a cab, hitting the walls, curtains, stage, drumset etc then bouncing to our ears in its own natural phase and timing with the sound from the front of the speaker and cab, i would think, would never be reproduced by a single closed box speaker not having those real-time reflections.

but i'm lucky i guess - i think it sounds fine and haven't missed a real cab sound in 6+ years!

Not making it exactly the same, because that's not possible, but looking for ways to add "body" to FR. It's more of a "feel" thing.

I brought both amplification setups with me yesterday for rehearsing: CLR and conventional closed-back 1x12.

We were playing at rather low volume (it's a jazz/fusion/latin band).
I switched between both setups.

While the CLR is the best FR monitor I've ever used and sounds great, switching to the conventional cab provides that body missing in FR. You hit a note or chord and you feel the attack, push or whatever it's called.

Adding "back of cab" improved that feel in the CLR, noticeably. It's not the holy grail, it's an experiment.

Seems to me the key is getting some of the multi dimensional thing going on, I most generally play in mono with 1 cab, but I was playing around with stereo setup last week and noticed some of the delays in stereo , especially the 2290 really giving some awesome surround vibe ,(coming from all directions) this somehow applied with the back of cab might be worth looking at, Of course it would only work in stereo! I have been too busy the last week or so to really check into it ,but will as soon as I get the time!

so who has some of these "back of cab" IR's?
Now that I have a CLR I'd like to try this approach.

I tried the lowpass filter approach last night on a 5150II patch I have and it sounded great
really thickened it up, but I am also using some OH Modern Irs (I forgot which ones)
HBE? I matched it almost exactly to my JSX last night (by ear not tone match, this one is stereo sounds great W/D)
On my Mesa patches.......................Mixed results I think it's vitally important to take the IR that's in the patch into consideration
when you attempt this.

Rehearsed with these IRs tonight. It certainly shows promise, as described. 50%-50% mix is a little too much, so I'm going to adjust that and see how that works out.
Sounds promising, thank you for the tip, I've been using the santiago mixed with cali, i need to try this and maybe find one of my redwire ambient to mix maybe 25%. The open back feel would be welcome here.

Hey Guys,

what is your general Idea of tweaking the sound of the cabs with the axe Ultra. I have a pair of active Atomic Wedges which have loads ! of low end. I started realizing an effect chain which works perfect in the studio on studio monitors. As the Atomic Amps come in and they were announced to be linear I would expect no greater eqing necessary.

On my patches I have at least some having -10 dB in the 3 lower bands of the output EQ when I send it to the atomics. Maybe they are faulty. Axe is brilliant though.

As the monitors don´t have no EQ and I have to destroy a proper effect chain at the output stage at the moment. What can I do maybe worst case repairing wise, maybe this is/was a common problem of the old version of the Atomics which can be fixed in a simple way (frequency seperating filter etc).

Thanks very much!!!
Best
Tim

the atomics aren't flat. they have a lot of bottom end and also a bump in the upper midrange

here are the global settings i used with the ultra...decide what you need to do with the two extra bands...

62 = -4
125 = 0
250 = +1
500 = 0
1k = 0
2k = -3
4k = -5
8k = 0

because you have two pairs of outs, you can apply this global eq to one pair which you always use with the atomics and then you have another pair you can use for recording/foh etc with a different eq, or just leave flat

I have heard the old atomic wedge colored the sound. You could try out 1 to studio monitors and out 2 to atomics and global eq out 2 to try and match studio monitors?

oops simeon already gave you a great answer

Hey Guys,

what is your general Idea of tweaking the sound of the cabs with the axe Ultra. I have a pair of active Atomic Wedges which have loads ! of low end. I started realizing an effect chain which works perfect in the studio on studio monitors. As the Atomic Amps come in and they were announced to be linear I would expect no greater eqing necessary.

On my patches I have at least some having -10 dB in the 3 lower bands of the output EQ when I send it to the atomics. Maybe they are faulty. Axe is brilliant though.

As the monitors don´t have no EQ and I have to destroy a proper effect chain at the output stage at the moment. What can I do maybe worst case repairing wise, maybe this is/was a common problem of the old version of the Atomics which can be fixed in a simple way (frequency seperating filter etc).

Thanks very much!!!
Best
Tim

Might I suggest that you start a new thread of your own in the Amps and Cabs section?
And please be specific that you are NOT using CLRs.

*This thread* is really about the active CLRs as can be seen in the thread title.
Every time you post here about the earlier Atomic FRFR speaker products it tend to confuse the issues in this thread.

I have heard the old atomic wedge colored the sound. You could try out 1 to studio monitors and out 2 to atomics and global eq out 2 to try and match studio monitors?

oops simeon already gave you a great answer

yes, that's exactly how i arrived at my global eq setting

Joegold,

we´re certainly clear in seperated topics, but my intention was to compare the newer with the old version, having some experienced users from the beginnings with the ULTRA and that earlier active wedges bundle from G66.
What ´d you say about the linear argument announced in both versions?

What do you dial into the new ones here eq wise. I have to take out definetely more low´s, its more around -8 to-10 with the lowest band 64Hz, then something around -5 on 125Hz , not so much trouble with the upper range, according to colleage´s oppinions as well. The point is both monitors react the same, I would not think of an error building wise.

Thanks for everybody dialing in

Thank you
Best
Tim

Last edited:
Joegold,

we´re certainly clear in seperated topics, but my intention was to compare the newer with the old version, having some experienced users from the beginnings with the ULTRA and that earlier active wedges bundle from G66.
What ´d you say about the linear argument announced in both versions?

What do you dial into the new ones here eq wise. I have to take out definetely more low´s, its more around -8 to-10 with the lowest band 64Hz, then something around -5 on 125Hz , not so much trouble with the upper range, according to colleage´s oppinions as well. The point is both monitors react the same, I would not think of an error building wise.

Thanks for everybody dialing in

Thank you
Best
Tim

Well if you don't want to take my advice about moving your discussion to another thread, my next request is that you at the very least put a qualifier in your posts here that you are not talking about the CLRs.

As far as Atomic's claims about the earlier products are concerned, no offence to Tom King who in my experience is a prince of a man, but those claims were highly overstated in my opinion.
But then again I never actually owned or tried any of those products.
But, tube amps in general are not ideal for FRFR amplification of a guitar rig especially when it's only 50 watts RMS unless you always play exceptionally quiet.
You CAN get a lot of volume out of a 50 watt tube amp but it will go beyond the amp's ability to not distort the signal.
As to how flat or not or what the dispersion characteristics of the earlier Atomic FRFR monitors are concerned I couldn't say, but my guess is that they're not all that flat and don't have particularly good dispersion characteristics.
My sense was always that they were just closed back cabs with a woofer and a tweeter thrown in so that the Axe's Cab Blocks and IRs could be used more effectively.

The CLR is a totally different animal.
It was designed by a highly respected innovator in the world of hi-end audio speaker design who also happens to be a guitar player and Axe-FX enthusiast, Jay Mitchell.
He's designed something specifically to address the problems that most other so-called FRFR monitor systems only claim to address.
The CLRs aren't perfect, but he's done a remarkably good job and there doesn't appear to be anything else on the market currently anywhere near this price point that is any better.

If you continue to use the earlier powered Atomic FRFR products you're going to have to take all of this into account.
Try playing some pre-recorded CDs through your Atomic Wedges and A/B that with a pair of good studio monitors.
[It will be best also if you can try to do this in a room that is well-treated for accurate audio reproduction.
If you do it in a poorly treated room you'll still gain some insights but they might not be the correct ones.]
You're probably going to notice a world of difference.
If you can find a way to EQ the signal going to the Atomics so that they sound more like the studio monitors then you should use similar EQ settings somewhere in your Axe/Atomic rig.

Last edited:
I Used an older Atomic wedge for a while ,Liked some things about it ,but it was,nt even comparable to the CLR's , Colors the tone quite a bit!!

Dear Joegold, Dear Atomic Users,

thanks for your impressions on the Atomic Version (Reactor FR). I just needed a solution for a linear monitoring response when I purchased that bundle. AXE ULTRA + FRs
Always thought about having made some mistakes in using the Reactor FRs by seeing them more as linear monitors, so I never really wanted to dig in to dial much on the Axe just for the monitor sound, where the AXE is a beast DI-Wise. My idea back then was to transfer those studio settings to my monitoring, simple as that.

If the Reactor FRs colour the AXEs sound, in my experience you would need a dedicated parametric EQ to spike out certain resonances professionally, but this will not work with the output section´s eq in the ULTRA. (Or is it parametric, not really sure now?)

So:
If you would setup two audio lines (Output 1: DI to the LIVE desk, Output 2: FRs) you are always dependent on one patch setting, so I think this will be compromising a bit as you have to decide which line is more important or so. I´d like to solve these circumstances in best possible way in my work at the moment not aiming at purchasing now! fitting monitors. I still hope for a solution and quality of the FRs as they seemed to be considered working together.

Micing the FRs perhaps is another idea when you decide to not use the DI for the live desk, would you need to mic the tweeter, too, as far as I understand the concept of the FRs?
This way you would have to build one patch for the DI Line for studio work, then you take the same patch and use the patch´s parametric EQ when you go out live, but there is no use for the DI then for a live situation, as I regard the DI sound for live playing as well... :-(

So what are your solutions in using the FRs right with the Axe, if not intended to be linear?

maybe, there is anybody out there who did some modifications on the electronics of the FRs in terms of a frequency seperating filter, soldering in some resistances, capacitors etc, that kind of direction?

Again thanks for your experience here. You help me a lot
Cheers
Tim

Last edited:
First off, the cab IRs used in the Ultra are good but not quite as good as those used in the Axe II because they have less resolution.
So the Ultra's Cab Block through an FRFR system is much harder to dial in than the Axe II's, especially if you're just using the stock IRs aka the stock Cab Sims that come with the Ultra.

You should be able to find many IRs that sound a lot better than those from Ownhammer and Red Wires in Axe Standard/Ultra format these days.
The OH mix ready IRs tend to be very musical sounding w/o needing much extra tweaking or EQ.
The Fractal Cab Packs are also quite good.

"If the Reactor FRs colour the AXEs sound, in my experience you would need a dedicated parametric EQ to spike out certain resonances professionally, but this will not work with the output section´s eq in the ULTRA. (Or is it parametric, not really sure now?)"

Just drop a PEQ Block in after the Cab Block in the Ultra's Layout.

"If you would setup two audio lines (Output 1 DI to the LIVE desk, Output 2: FRs) you are always dependent on one patch setting, so I think this will be compromising a bit as you have to decide which line is more important."

That's true, but the Ultra's routing is quite capable of handling that very well.
You could set up the Layout with a tap after the Cab Block with one row going to 1 PEQ and Out 1 for the FOH mix and one row going through another PEQ and and FX Loop Block for Out 2 for your Atomic FR monitor(s)

"Micing the FRs perhaps is another idea"

Really NOT a good idea.

Joegold,

the routing idea is good bringing in PEQ in the seperated audio lines!!!
Will check out the IRs as well. Do you mind asking you for a link? Thanks so much
Best regards
Sincerely
Tim

OK, I can see that you're pretty green with all of this.
Most guys here are pretty familiar with the Red Wires, Ownhammer and Fractal IRs.

OwnHammer.com - Home

Red Wire Impulse Responses | High quality guitar speaker cabinet IRs for use with convolution plugins

Fractal Audio Systems Secure Online Store

The newer (V2) OH Mix IRs are the easiest to use.

The ones in the Fractal Cab Packs are also real good.

At this point the harder ones to use are in the Red Wires libraries, but many of them are real good too.

Last edited:
Thanks Joegold,

green is ok. But I dial a lot on my monitoring system at the moment, I feel. Looked around here and found lots of hints which is very helpful from you experienced guys. Thanks

Best
Tim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom