Atomic 50/50 Stereo Tube Power Amp VIDEO

Forgive my ignorance - but by running through the atomic 50/50 you no longer use power amp sims from the Axe II, correct?

Forgive my ignorance - but by running through the atomic 50/50 you no longer use power amp sims from the Axe II, correct?
I'm pretty sure you do use the PA sims with most tube power amps as they are designed to be super loud and clean. You add the pushed/breakup power amp characteristics through the PA sims. I suppose if you played loud enough to break up the atomics you may not want to use the PA sims, but I understand that would be pretty much ridiculously loud.

I'm pretty sure you do use the PA sims with most tube power amps as they are designed to be super loud and clean. You add the pushed/breakup power amp characteristics through the PA sims. I suppose if you played loud enough to break up the atomics you may not want to use the PA sims, but I understand that would be pretty much ridiculously loud.

That makes sense. So what you're saying is that it amplifies the sound as transparently as possible? If you ever get loud enough to 'activate' the tube's break up properties, that's when you would want to turn the power sims off in the axe II?

That makes sense. So what you're saying is that it amplifies the sound as transparently as possible? If you ever get loud enough to 'activate' the tube's break up properties, that's when you would want to turn the power sims off in the axe II?

yeah - that's my understanding. Bear in mind I run an SLA2 and have absolutely no experience with using a tube power amp with the Axe! Actually, I've never heard of anyone turning off the PA sims with a tube power amp in any circumstance - happy to be corrected though.

I asked this question in another thread but I wonder how hot it gets ? I'd like to put an atomic and my ultra in a 4HE skb case , so no space between the ultra and the amp ...

Would that be too hot for the ultra ?

Thx

Raf

I asked this question in another thread but I wonder how hot it gets ? I'd like to put an atomic and my ultra in a 4HE skb case , so no space between the ultra and the amp ...

Thx

Raf

i have mine in a 4u gator case, and as yet it has been fine. but then the atomic doesnt get that hot in the first place..

so amp and cab sims off?

Amp sims ON, I use an FX loop block to go to OUT 2 before my cab block. So OUT 1 to PA/FOH/DAW has poweramp and cab sims, OUT 2 to the Atomic and guitar cabinet has poweramp sim but no cab sim.

Mark

Thx

Raf
Nope. All is cool UNLESS you are playing outside down here in south Texas. (Bring water I'm parched):D

Amp sims ON, I use an FX loop block to go to OUT 2 before my cab block. So OUT 1 to PA/FOH/DAW has poweramp and cab sims, OUT 2 to the Atomic and guitar cabinet has poweramp sim but no cab sim.

Mark

Exactly how I did it too. And will again (once I can score a II)

Presence off (Tom says that is neutral). I think I had the volume at about 10:00

Mark

Ouch! I take it you had the Axe Output turned pretty much down for the demo? Or should I say ... I TAKE IT YOU HAD THE AXE OUTPUT TURNED PRETTY MUCH DOWN? :)

It would be interesting to hold a Poll somewhere on just how many of us here have Tinnitus ..... I have it in my left ear (the one nearest the goddam cymbals operator funnily enough)

Ouch! I take it you had the Axe Output turned pretty much down for the demo? Or should I say ... I TAKE IT YOU HAD THE AXE OUTPUT TURNED PRETTY MUCH DOWN? :)

It would be interesting to hold a Poll somewhere on just how many of us here have Tinnitus ..... I have it in my left ear (the one nearest the goddam cymbals operator funnily enough)

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, WHAT!!!!!????

Yes I live with tinnitus.

Mark

So sad when I have turned off the last piece of equiptment and still hear the hum.

Can I get an external controller

... that's not 80 proof? :)

Wow you must play loud on stage! I run an SLA1 through a 2x12 bridged and it's as loud as hell and I wear ear plugs!

Forgive my ignorance as well, but how are the poweramp sims on the Axe-FX ultra/II? Does each amp sim have it's own poweramp sim or are there just a few generic models? What all do you have in flexibility for the PA (presence, resonance, saturation, etc.)?

Forgive my ignorance as well, but how are the poweramp sims on the Axe-FX ultra/II? Does each amp sim have it's own poweramp sim or are there just a few generic models? What all do you have in flexibility for the PA (presence, resonance, saturation, etc.)?

Each amp model is a replica of the real amp - so it's unique power amp stage is in there too. You can even pick the poweramp stage from a completely different amp and put it in instead.

There are very comprehensive controls for the power amp stages if you want to tweak them - download the manual from the support area on the FAS site and see them. But all the ones you mention in your post are there .... and a whole lot more ...

Each amp model is a replica of the real amp - so it's unique power amp stage is in there too. You can even pick the poweramp stage from a completely different amp and put it in instead.

There are very comprehensive controls for the power amp stages if you want to tweak them - download the manual from the support area on the FAS site and see them. But all the ones you mention in your post are there .... and a whole lot more ...

Great, thank you. So if the PA models are as convincing as the preamp models, what is the purpose of using a tube power amp?

I'm always one for tube (been playing tube since I started), but I don't see the point in spending the extra dough on a tube PA if the Axe-FX is that convincing.

Great, thank you. So if the PA models are as convincing as the preamp models, what is the purpose of using a tube power amp?

I'm always one for tube (been playing tube since I started), but I don't see the point in spending the extra dough on a tube PA if the Axe-FX is that convincing.

It has nothing to do with whether it is a tube or not. There are quite a few hi-fi stereos that use valves. It is just a method of amplification. The question is whether it accurately amplifies the sound. It is not intended to color the sound with "tubiness", just accurately amplify the sound.

Back
Top Bottom