Assigning a wah to one preset

axepilot

Inspired
Did the search, and I'm stumped.

-GC Pro / Alesis expression pedal..........GC set up to just switch presets. Pedal turned on in GC setup

-Wah placed first block in patch, patch saved in FX and as a preset to the GC

GC message > P1. 127 CTL000

Just how do I get the FX to read the wah? I went to the I/O page and enabled pedal one, entered it and got the learning message. The process ends there.

Somebody help a noob?

axepilot said:
Did the search, and I'm stumped.

-GC Pro / Alesis expression pedal..........GC set up to just switch presets. Pedal turned on in GC setup

-Wah placed first block in patch, patch saved in FX and as a preset to the GC

GC message > P1. 127 CTL000

Just how do I get the FX to read the wah? I went to the I/O page and enabled pedal one, entered it and got the learning message. The process ends there.

Somebody help a noob?

The wah setting I/O - CTRL menu is for on/off not for sweep. I would change the GC exp pedal sweep to something else besides 0.
Then you will want to use the learn function on one of the external controllers (1-8).

You then go to the wah block in the layput menu , hit edit, go to the freq parameter, hit enter, assign the source to the external controller you set up previosly, turn up the dampening until the sweep speed feels right. You can also use the auto engage here. If you use autoengage for this don't assign it an on/off under the wah settings in the IO-CTRL menu.This will automatically turn the was on when you move the pedal up and off when you turn it down. The reset of the paramters define start-end points and the curve.

You can assign any parameter that has [] under it this wah (for whammy, delay mix, vol pedal, etc.)

OK. I got as far as getting 7 set with the GC and into external one of the FX, and hitting enter to get learning.

It just grinds away at learning, and I have no wah action.

I'm sure I'm missing a step or two here............................ :oops:

*******EDIT******************

I think my pedal is bad. I get no value changes on the GC when I sweep it. This pedal has two different TRS cable configurations to switch from - doesn't make a difference. I swapped TRS cables to make sure the cable wasn't the problem.

axepilot said:
OK. I got as far as getting 7 set with the GC and into external one of the FX, and hitting enter to get learning.

It just grinds away at learning, and I have no wah action.

I'm sure I'm missing a step or two here............................ :oops:

did you move the expression pedal back and forth? You can also just manually set it to 7.

I really appreciate your patience, javajunkie.

I get no value changes on the GC when I sweep the pedal - bad pedal?

When I go to edit the patch on the GC, it reads > P1. 127 CTL007.

The FX is showing 7 for external one.

axepilot said:

You may have to calibrate the pedal. So when you sweep the 127 # doesn't change?

javajunkie said:
axepilot said:

You may have to calibrate the pedal. So when you sweep the 127 # doesn't change?

No change, but I just read the GC manual again. 007 is a volume pedal controller.

Let me try another number......................

I have external one in the FX set to 1, and the GC reads 001 for pedal one, with the wah freq page set up for external 1. No value changes on the GC and no good with the FX.

I just know this is something simple and stupid...........................or my pedal is bad.

axepilot said:
I have external one in the FX set to 1, and the GC reads 001 for pedal one, with the wah freq page set up for external 1. No value changes on the GC and no good with the FX.

I just know this is something simple and stupid...........................or my pedal is bad.

don't worry about the axe-fx at all until you get the pedal working. It should register on the gcp regardless if the axe-fx is even hooked up. That value that reads 127 should change when you sweep the pedal. Did you turn the pedal to on and assign it a midi channel in the gcp?

Just with the GC:

No value change on the pedal at all when I sweep it. It's plugged into P1 and P1 is on.

Starting to look like I have dead pedal.

My guess is it's not dead but something's amiss with it's connection. You've checked the switch and range controls on the Alesis?

Have you tried the Alesis with the back inputs on the Axe? Try to assign it to something and hit learn. If nothing happens it's not registering.

The pedal is just a potmeter with a plank on it. A potmeter is nothing else than a variable resistor. Do you have a multimeter or something else that measures resistance? Connect it and sweep the pedal. If it changes it works. Values should range from infinite to a couple of ohms.

You could try to open it up and look for the obvious loose cables. Anyone with even very basic knowledge of electronics (like if you haven't been asleep in those high school physics lessons) should be able to check if it's working within seconds.

Dutch said:
Have you tried the Alesis with the back inputs on the Axe? Try to assign it to something and hit learn. If nothing happens it's not registering.

The pedal is just a potmeter with a plank on it. A potmeter is nothing else than a variable resistor. Do you have a multimeter or something else that measures resistance? Connect it and sweep the pedal. If it changes it works. Values should range from infinite to a couple of ohms.

You could try to open it up and look for the obvious loose cables. Anyone with even very basic knowledge of electronics (like if you haven't been asleep in those high school physics lessons) should be able to check if it's working within seconds.

I plugged it into the Pedal 1 jack on the back of the FX, selected Pedal 1 on the control page and entered learn. It's like it's not there. I put a multimeter on the output of the pedal and there is no change in resistance when I sweep the pedal. I think I'll crack the pedal open and take a look.

Just took it apart and looked - found nothing obvious. I get a value change on the GC when I change the switch on the Alesis, but not with sweep. I'm going to return the pedal and try a different one.

Thanks for all of the help! :D

axepilot said:
Dutch said:

I plugged it into the Pedal 1 jack on the back of the FX, selected Pedal 1 on the control page and entered learn. It's like it's not there. I put a multimeter on the output of the pedal and there is no change in resistance when I sweep the pedal. I think I'll crack the pedal open and take a look.

Just took it apart and looked - found nothing obvious. I get a value change on the GC when I change the switch on the Alesis, but not with sweep. I'm going to return the pedal and try a different one.

Thanks for all of the help! :D

what type of cable were you using?

Progress!

Received my Rocktron Hex and it works as a wah.

My next question:

How do I dial in the sweep to get it close to sounding like my Crybaby? Most of the tone change is occurring close to the the heel down position. When I rock to the toe, I get a quick change that stays steady through the rest of the pedal travel. The cursor on the Axe freq page of the wah jumps from the bottom to the top quickly, with no smooth change from heel to toe.

axepilot said:
Progress!

Received my Rocktron Hex and it works as a wah.

My next question:

How do I dial in the sweep to get it close to sounding like my Crybaby? Most of the tone change is occurring close to the the heel down position. When I rock to the toe, I get a quick change that stays steady through the rest of the pedal travel. The cursor on the Axe freq page of the wah jumps from the bottom to the top quickly, with no smooth change from heel to toe.

Sounds like the polarity on you cable needs to be reversed. That is if 90% of the sweep is in the first 20% of the heel postion. Otherwise, you can you the start, mid, and end couple to the dampening to get the feel you want

Looks like I'm in for a little cable surgery. I really don't have time for that now (eyeball deep in getting this rig dialed in for a gig this weekend), but I will try it. I'll just run my Crybaby up front for this gig. It worked well at rehearsal.

Thanks again, javajunkie.

Back
Top Bottom