Assignable USB Computer Input sources

For now all I did was make USB 7,8 assignable to Input 2-4. We could make any USB pair assignable to any input or output pair but the USB endpoints are named in the USB firmware and that would cause confusion. If we decide to make everything assignable then that will require new USB software to change the names of the endpoints otherwise it will be a support nightmare.

If all 8 inputs and outputs were freely assignable, you could run 8 separate audio feeds from a DAW with them all on their own row for processing, and send them right back into the DAW to record. that is a legit studio centerpiece.

If all 8 inputs and outputs were freely assignable, you could run 8 separate audio feeds from a DAW with them all on their own row for processing, and send them right back into the DAW to record. that is a legit studio centerpiece.
There are 6 rows.

Does this basically mean I can route
DI signals to output 2 or 3 so that my engineer can go into his interface and not have to connect USB???

Amazing feature. It would be great to have full flexibility as the original post suggests. It would make it easier to use the axe as traditional processor via usb when not playing through it. (and sometimes while still playing through it)

I'd love to see something like the following to allow for the ultimate IO routing. Connections can only be made from top to bottom with a few additional restrictions (e.g. USB IN 1 > USB Out 1 doesn't make any sense) and (I think) some if not all sources could have multiple destinations (e.g. grid OUT1 could go to both Analog OUT1, AES/EBU, and S/PDIF).

The blue circles (oops and the black ones on the grid OUTs) are connection points. I've shown the digital IO and Grid IO as separate Left and Right connections b/c I think the AxeFX is capable of that (i.e. I think Fractal made a choice to pair them but the hardware/software is not actually limited to pairs).

AX3 IO.png

I really hope that something like this will eliminate some of the current shortcomings. For example, I don't want Analog IN1 connected to Grid IN1. I'd rather have Analog IN1 connected to ONLY USB OUT1 (or one of the digital OUTs) so that I can record the dry signal without it going through the grid. Yes, I could sacrifice IN1 and OUT1 or 2 but that would be too limiting.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw a picture up so that it's easier to discuss. I would love to have the above in AxeEdit (not just on the front panel due to the 'limited' user controls). And please please, don't take this as a demand or gripe. I'm already thrilled being able to currently send 2 stereo loops through each Axe via USB. This wish is simply to increase the possibilities for the highly dynamic and diverse set of AxeFX users.

I'd rather have Analog IN1 connected to ONLY USB OUT1 (or one of the digital OUTs) so that I can record the dry signal without it going through the grid.

It's already like that, I was trying to screen record and grab AFX3 audio in the program and you c a n n o t turn off the DI on USB output 5...even with a blank grid, input 1 goes straight through to USB output 5 as a DI.

It's already like that, I was trying to screen record and grab AFX3 audio in the program and you c a n n o t turn off the DI on USB output 5...even with a blank grid, input 1 goes straight through to USB output 5 as a DI.

It’s great that the A1 is available via USB5 but I’m talking about decoupling A1 from IN1 on the grid because I want to use IN1 for On of the USB outputs from the computer (only).

We could make any USB pair assignable to any input or output pair

+1000 for this, it would make the axe so powerful as an audio interface and as the center of the studio. I don't mind if we have to update the USB software, I really think it is worth it.

I think even better would be to make it a 16x16 audio interface, with all inputs and all outputs fixed : 1 to 8 all the input pairs, 9 to 16 all the output pairs.
Unless there is a hardware limitation to 8x8?

+1

It would be amazing (and maybe not too confusing) if each USB Computer Input pair could select between the 4 grid OUT blocks and the 4 inputs.

The primary limitation I run up against is that I need two pairs of XLR outputs for stage use (OUT 1 to FOH, OUT 2 to stage FRFR cabs). Since both of those outputs are locked to USB, I'm limited to one input pair that can be routed to a laptop for recording, when I'd like to record two.

I can work around this by using OUT 3 for my stage cabs, but that means losing the balanced output.

Thanks for considering!

Back
Top Bottom