Assign ANY value to a modifier

Should Fractal implement this?

• Total voters
Because
1) they cause problems, like scratchs, instability, math errors, etc etc
2) they load the CPU.

So actual configurations is Cliff best compromise between tweakabilities & loads.

It means that I think the Axe-Fx should allow us to connect an expression pedal to any value/knob and not just the most widely used ones.

This is a recurring wish, and one I share. The fact that Cliff has chosen only some parameters for external control implies to me that there are specific and important reasons why the choices are limited.

Sure, but I'm not into implications, hehe :) Wanna bring it all out so it can be definitively said why we can't be satisfied

prometh said:
Sure, but I'm not into implications, hehe :) Wanna bring it all out so it can be definitively said why we can't be satisfied
Good luck with that. There is some intellectual property involved here, and Cliff has no obligation to explain publicly why this can't be implemented. Making the drive parameter assignable in Rev. 6.08 was a major step forward. According to Cliff, it required a coding breakthrough so as not to overload the cpu. Maybe we'll luck out someday and he will discover a way to make some of the other parameters assignable, but my recommendation is not to hold your breath waiting for that. :lol:

Well, I don't mean detailed explanations, but "not enough CPU" is fine... and it's already been said, but this is why I created the thread... not just for me, but for other likeminded newcomers

And I can hold my breath pretty long :) but would rather do so for better things.... like this! viewtopic.php?f=29&t=639 ... but anyway, back to modifier stuff :)

prometh said:
Why limit things? The Digitech GSP-2101 let me do this.
I too share your wish, prometh. I arrived in Fractaland from the Roland world, and I took some of Roland's feature set for granted. My GP-100 can't hold a candle to the Axe-FX, but it can do a couple of things the Axe-FX can't. One of those things is the ability to control any parameter in real time, up to 16 at a time. That let me do a host of wonderful things (and some pretty useless ones as well, such as sweeping through all my amp models by rocking an expression pedal).

I've heard explanations for it in other threads, but they're all hearsay — I've never seen a post on the topic from anyone representing Fractal. The most useful explanation I've see was posted by Dutch back in July. He wrote:
Dutch said:
But there are reasons why many parameters are not assignable to a modifier. If they were the sound could get glitchy all over the place. The processor just can't deal with it. You wouldn't believe the burden on support.
Customer (C):"I connected the mids tone control to a pedal and now I get glitches whenever I move it!"
Cliff (CC): "Exactly. Don't do that."
C: "But why CAN I do that if I shouldn't?"
CC:"Errr..."

The way it is now is exactly the way it should be.
Now, what I'd really like is a row of rotary encoders next to the display, used as soft controlers for whatever parameters are shown above the knobs. No doubt the Axe-FX already has a great navigation interface, but the sweetest navigation is the kind you do when you navigate your hand between knobs. It's fast and intuitive, and you only need one hand, and you could tweak two knobs simultaneously if you used both of your hands.

Back
Top Bottom