Ask for a sound and I do it for You

Marco Fanton

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
This is my new live stream format, (english version)
You ask for a sound, suggest me the gear of your favorite guitar player, tell me the song or the album, and I try to reproduce it!!
Don't miss this event :)
Waiting for you

(The Fractal Preset will be available for advanced subscribers to my channel or on my store)

Hi, I would like to hear the sound of Mats Haugen from Circus Maximus. Album Nine. I be been trying to reproduce it. I went very close, but still away from the exact sound. Song example Architect of Fortune, Namaste…

Vai‘s sound on EEAS, Jason Becker’s sound on ALAE. Those medium gain yet ever so powerful leadsounds with tons of sustain and “fatness” but not muffled at the same time. Jimmy Herring and Shawn Lane even take/took this sort of sound to the stage. Seems very straightforward at first glance, but are actually a b**** to dial in properly.

This is my new live stream format, (english version)
You ask for a sound, suggest me the gear of your favorite guitar player, tell me the song or the album, and I try to reproduce it!!
Don't miss this event :)
Waiting for you

(The Fractal Preset will be available for advanced subscribers to my channel or on my store)

Marco, This is kind of for fun but since I've seen, heard and bought about every pack you've made I'm requesting a Preset/8 scenes per for these and you name the Dollar/Euro amount and I'll hit Buy Now till I get Carpel Tunnel....I have the Turbo model so push that CPU!

Preset One - Neil Schon - Infinity, Departure, Evolution albums - not sure if it's the Peavey Mace or the way it was recorded or it just takes me back..
Preset Two - Nuno Bettencourt - Three Sides to Every Story
Preset Three - Paul Gilbert - Any Mr. Big Album
Preset Four - Reb Beach - first three Winger Albums
Preset Five - Mark Tremonti - All I Was album
Preset Six - Alex Lifeson - Grace Under...Hold your Fire
Preset Seven - Vivian Campbell - Riverdogs - California
Preset Eight - Robbie Blunt - the Robert Plant solo albums
Preset Nine - George Lynch - Sacred Groove album
Preset Ten - Collen/Campbell - DefLep - Euphoria album
Preset Eleven - John Sykes - Blue Murder
Preset Twelve - Rabea Massaad....his atmospheric noddling from his YT channel...please include his facial movement when he plays...
Last but not least Preset Thirteen - Billy Sheehan - covering Cosmic Troubadour and Mr. Big...break out your Bass!

This ought to keep you busy for a week to ten business days...I have my credit card waiting as we speak...

Last edited:
Marco, This is kind of for fun but since I've seen, heard and bought about every pack you've made I'm requesting a Preset/8 scenes per for these and you name the Dollar/Euro amount and I'll hit Buy Now till I get Carpel Tunnel....I have the Turbo model so push that CPU!

Preset One - Neil Schon - Infinity, Departure, Evolution albums - not sure if it's the Peavey Mace or the way it was recorded or it just takes me back..
Preset Two - Nuno Bettencourt - Three Sides to Every Story
Preset Three - Paul Gilbert - Any Mr. Big Album
Preset Four - Reb Beach - first three Winger Albums
Preset Five - Mark Tremonti - All I Was album
Preset Six - Alex Lifeson - Grace Under...Hold your Fire
Preset Seven - Vivian Campbell - Riverdogs - California
Preset Eight - Robbie Blunt - the Robert Plant solo albums
Preset Nine - George Lynch - Sacred Groove album
Preset Ten - Collen/Campbell - DefLep - Euphoria album
Preset Eleven - John Sykes - Blue Murder
Preset Twelve - Rabea Massaad....his atmospheric noddling from his YT channel...please include his facial movement when he plays...
Last but not least Preset Thirteen - Billy Sheehan - covering Cosmic Troubadour and Mr. Big...break out your Bass!

This ought to keep you busy for a week to ten business days...I have my credit card waiting as we speak...
+1 for Preset Two. Forgot to mention this example in my own post. 😀

I know this one inside and out. I have a great preset with both his leads and rhythm tones, but I am sure others would like this tone as well (I am not allowed to share, the engineer who recorded the album made me promise not to share the information I used or the tones, he said I had the tone nailed).

2c++ a guitar with pickups that are a little dark (don't use Duncan JBs, in other words). This is info I can share. I used the Jp2c and used a couple of low cuts before the amp one at 70hz and the one in the amp input at 92hz. Then I did the cab preamp at 120hz. This helped tighten the low end. A multi band comp and I think you can nail it Marco.

The Artist is Chris Poland on his debut, Return to Metalopolis.

Bummer I won't be around to participate :( I would love to find out how to get Ty Tabors tone on the Ooh song! There is some serious EQ'ing gong on, I don't know if it's pre or post recording on this song but there is definitely something odd about it. I can't even describe the vowel sound it's making! I have the early tones down pretty good but some of the songs on this album were something vastly different.

Last edited:
😍

Do you know if he used a similar rig for Damned The Machine?
Bogner fish with a Tele style guitar that had a hum in the bridge. The Marshall 9100 was the power amp. Delays were the Roland delays. There is a YouTube video going over his rack which was pretty much the same from the early 90s until a couple of years ago. He switched to the Engnater preamp Goin into the loop on like a pair of JVM Marshall heads.

I got my 2 Fish preamp from Reinhold like a week after he did. I had no clue he was in line for one in 92. I sold one of my 2 Fish preamp to get my AX3 MkII.

Bogner fish with a Tele style guitar that had a hum in the bridge. The Marshall 9100 was the power amp. Delays were the Roland delays. There is a YouTube video going over his rack which was pretty much the same from the early 90s until a couple of years ago. He switched to the Engnater preamp Goin into the loop on like a pair of JVM Marshall heads.

I got my 2 Fish preamp from Reinhold like a week after he did. I had no clue he was in line for one in 92. I sold one of my 2 Fish preamp to get my AX3 MkII.

Chris Poland has one of the most unique tones I've ever heard. I worship the Damn The Machine album, and I always marvel at how mid rangey but freaking gorgeous the tones are. Brian Malouf is some kind of OCD genius, and it kills me that he didn't produce more in rock and metal of that period. It was bizarre enough he was hired for that album.

Chris Poland has one of the most unique tones I've ever heard. I worship the Damn The Machine album, and I always marvel at how mid rangey but freaking gorgeous the tones are. Brian Malouf is some kind of OCD genius, and it kills me that he didn't produce more in rock and metal of that period. It was bizarre enough he was hired for that album.
Yes his tone was the Holy grail for me when I was tone chasing in my early years. I found it funny that he and I chose similar gear when doing our racks with Bob Bradshaw in the early 90s. That was a total coincidence.

The secret to his tone is cranking the mids (600-1k), pulling out a little 750hz with a Q of about 2-2.5, how much depends on the pickups and if you are using a mahogany guitar or a basswood guitar (these vary widely in the mids they resonate). He used the SD JB pickup during the RTM and Damn the Machine (they are a little scooped). And he rolls the tone down to about 7ish.

For the Damn the Machine start with the Bogfish Brown, pull the gain way back so you are just edge of breakup. Boost between 600 to 800 in the amp block input tab. Put a drive block before the amp and use the Tube Drive to dial in the distortion level (Chris used the Jazz Channel with the Tube driver for leads). For the Rythm tones use the Bogfish Brown and pull back the gain until you have it just into a nice overdrive. You could also use the HBE models. Eq will depend on where you boost the mids at. If you do the input tab in the amp block you will want to pull back some 750 post eq in the amp block, then try a little 450hz boost (1db or so goes a long way). You might have to pull out a little 500hz if it gets too honky.

Use a Marshall cab IR with V30s if you can. The Dizzy V30 stock AX3 cab with a 57 from ML sound labs sounds pretty close, to me. Play with speaker compression until you get his softer attack or close. Then use the dynamics tab to pull back the input (compress) about 0.5 - 1.0 the use the output compression and pull it back about 1-1.5 and dial in the clarity until you have hist softer attack, just right.

You can also dial a verb and eq it so there is a boost in the verb at about 5k to help the attack stand out since you dialed it down in the amp.

I did not give exact eq settings because you will have to play with BMT+P until it sounds like his tone, with your fingers, guitar, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom