Are these Axe-Fx 2 hardware limitations?

In this case, there is still plenty of space in the Axe 2
It’s statements like these that people for some reason just believe because someone on the internet said it. I don’t understand why.

How do you know there is “plenty of space?”

Though, theorically, the Ultra could lose a lot of features to get room for amp modelling. It's pretty much as powerful as AX8, right?...
“Theorically” cliff is porting all the Axe-Fx 3 code to the Axe Standard now. Hope you still have one :rolleyes:

All I can say is Cliff has been more than gracious with upgrades. He owes us nothing further as far as I am concerned once the Axe 3 came out. I currently do no plan on purchasing one as I am thrilled with my 2. Time is precious and worth way more than anyone could afford or should try to pitch to Cliff. Basically if you can pay enough for upgrades buy the 3.

I cannot stand in my profession when someone ASSUMES what it takes for me to do certain things for them, what it costs me, in time , money effort, expertise.

There's a new a new sound and only a few can have it. It's in the AxeFX III and there's a waiting list holding most of us to have that new sound. What if we could get algo updates until the waiting list thing is over? After the waiting list is over if you want the new sound you can just click the "buy now" button. At the moment you can't.

Well, if there's any chance of Ares stuff being ported over to the Axe FX II, great, all for it!

If not, c'est la vie.

But no, i wouldn't pay 1 red cent for it.

The II is now superseded. Still sounds and works fantastically etc, but I'll save my $$$ for the Axe FX III.

I am jaw-dropping incredulous over some peoples wishes to have a III without willing to step up to the plate. Cereal. It’s the old axiom “no good deed goes unpunished.”

What ever future improvements are available to the XL+ platform are pure gravy… And I hope that FAS is willing to migrate somethings over i.e. trichorus, improved delays or other modeling enhancements.

I will buy the III eventually (3/1 waitlisted; need FC so willing to wait) because I want to support the company, and I want continuous improvement to continue. :)

In the meantime I love my XL+, play nearly every day, still a great tool ... and would never say anything to disparage Cliff from kindly porting any improvement he desires in his own time.

If I were him, I don’t know how much of this ungratefulness I could actually tolerate. Perhaps I’m overreacting-it wouldn’t be the first time. ;)

But please, don’t talk him out of sharing/porting/working to do what he can, when he can.

Remember there is little to no benefit for him to upgrade anything other than the current product offerings. At this point, it’s all pure goodwill and kindness on the behalf of FAS.

Last edited:
How do you know there is “plenty of space?”

I've done some research.
To be honest, I just believed what others have said since 2016, when Axe 3 was speculated, right until recently, when Axe 3 was announced. I did a google search for any mentions of Axe 3 between 2016 and 2017, and did not find Cliff officially saying that XL has plenty of firmware space for years to come, but others were yapping as if it's true, and I was following them. Cliff simply did not say anything in those Axe FX3 speculation topics. However, he did make a April 1st joke in 2017 that Axe FX 3 was coming in a few weeks.

Since Firmware 12, the Axe 2 started holding a number of amp modelling versions within it. I'm not sure how that works, but I assume that this feature held numerous versions of huge chunks of Amp block code. It seems that this stuff took over quite a big portion of the firmware, and it was just piling up with each new release.

This couldn't fit in the mk1/2 since above firmware Q7.01. That was a year ago, with modeling version piling up since firmware 12.
As cliff said "Firmware 7 is likely the last firmware for Mk1/2", but there was no indication of a newer hardware unit, or firmware not fitting into XL/XL+ any time soon.

I don't know how much more space XL has over Mk2, but I assume that it's enough to keep it future proof, even with the modeling version knob.

Since Q7.01, old modeling versions were removed which saved firmware updates for Mk1/2 even since today.
MK2 has less space than XL, and we still haven't seen the limit of MK2, so we are still not close to XL limit.
From that I concluded that XL has a lot of space for updates.

But this whole thought process is full of "Seems" and "I assume" and "I don't know how this works".
So, i conclude that I'm very likely very wrong.

If I were him, I don’t know how much of this ungratefulness I could actually tolerate. Perhaps I’m overreacting-it wouldn’t be the first time. ;)
Literally no one is ungrateful here.
Being grateful does not contradict expression of hopes.

Last edited by a moderator:
One last update for the XLs (screw the Mk I and II units) and then kill all dev is what I would like to see. Effort would be better spent towards maximizing the new product IMO. Make an unambiguous sticky post at the top of the forums and kill the wish list subforms. Throw in the MFC101, FX8 and AX8 while you're at it.

It would piss a lot of people off, but I think it would better to rip the bandaid off instead of leaving the issue lingering out there for months (view the MFC101 Wishes + Bugs subforum for a look at how pitiful this can get :) )
-
Austin

Last edited:
Some or maybe all could be ported but, to be frank, it's not going to happen. It doesn't make financial sense to undergo a development effort that large on a product that won't be generating any revenue.
So it is not a hardware limitation issue that was mentioned in a different thread?

So it is not a hardware limitation issue that was mentioned in a different thread?
Nope.
In that other thread, he was talking about Ares modelling.
UI is not Ares. It's just a medium for Axe to display information and let the user to interact with the device.

Eventually it will be obsolete. With axe3 updates, the man and his team may throw us axe2 users a bone every once in a blue moon but if not that's totally cool with me S%#! This damn machine is still boggling my sore brain

I've done some research.

<snip>

From that I concluded that XL has a lot of space for updates.

But this whole thought process is full of "Seems" and "I assume" and "I don't know how this works".
So, i conclude that I'm very likely very wrong.

Literally no one is ungrateful here.
Being grateful does not contradict expression of hopes.

FAS has already stated that your “hopes” exceed any reasonable ROI, yet you persist. Why?

Your hopes are already fulfilled in the axefx III at a bargin of a price IMO. YMMV.

FAS has already stated that your “hopes” exceed any reasonable ROI, yet you persist. Why?

Your hopes are already fulfilled in the axefx III at a bargin of a price IMO. YMMV.
What are you talking about?
I was just answering a question on why I thought there's plenty of space for firmware updates on the Axe 2. And my answer was basically "Here's why, but as I just figured out, I'm likely wrong".

Fractal runs on a subscription model, more or less.
You buy the hardware at the beginning, and you get six years worth of software updates.

The bad news is, your Axe II subscription just ran out.
The good news is, you can get a brand new Axe III subscription right now !

Note: If you wait a year, you only get 5 years before the Axe IV comes out.
So better to get the Axe III right now !

BTW, $2400 over 6 years is $33 / month.

Effort would be better spent towards maximizing the new product IMO.

This. What people perhaps don't immediately realise is that any time spent porting to the Axe-Fx II is time not spent on developing the Axe-Fx III. I don't have a III yet, and it'll probably be a little while before I do, but I would still prefer Cliff's efforts to go towards bettering their flagship product.

The AX8 is a different story, as it sits in a different space to the II or III, and is still being produced (I think). So I guess it makes sense to keep up with AX8 updates.

Monty Python had the Ministry of Silly Walks. Now this forum has the Thread of Silly Assertions. FAS has already made it pretty clear what will happen and why. Aside from demoralizing and angering the very people who are going out of their way to be nice to us, what's the point of all of this?

I would guess the point is seeing if a revenue stream "could" be created, then is it possible to keep the older hardware relevant for a little bit longer.

Seems like the amount of revenue needed is impractical. But the premise of creating a revenue stream is okay even if it never happens.

Back
Top Bottom