Apple Silicon

i think they're trying to bridge the gap between Mac OS and iOS. i doubt Mac OS is going anywhere. but we may finally see touch-capable macs - at least laptops - at some point as they bring iOS closer to Mac OS and vice-versa.

Big Sur seems to be the first foray into having "touch type" items baked in - bigger icons, more space, the control center thingie. eh we'll see.

Looking forward to this. My iMac is also 2012. My Logic DAW is a 2018 mini with external storage and it’s been great. I had to get an external GPU though for final cut work. If the mini supports 8k like they say then I am hoping it will be more than enough for my silly 4k home vids. 10% off for vets too.

I was keen on getting the mini till I saw the 16GB limitation, wish they had a 32GB option but I understand why they don't yet as they're probably focusing on producing these in quantity right now and limiting it to just 8GB and 16GB variants. Hopefully once the larger MBPs become available next year there will also be a mini with more RAM.

I have read they are moving toward an iOS version to replace OSX. Dunno. It would make me switch off Apple if they did. Can't stand iOS....
If they were going to do that, a new major version would be the right time to do it. But that's not happening in 11.0. I think what will happen is they'll enable iPad apps to run natively on it. That'd boost both the iPad and the Mac, and they have already sort of started down that path, albeit very awkwardly so far. My understanding is some of their apps (such as Maps and Stocks) already share most of their code with iPad versions.

I'm not sure what they're going to do with multitouch if they allow the apps to run without any modification.

Looking forward to this. My iMac is also 2012. My Logic DAW is a 2018 mini with external storage and it’s been great. I had to get an external GPU though for final cut work. If the mini supports 8k like they say then I am hoping it will be more than enough for my silly 4k home vids. 10% off for vets too.
8K is 33.2 megapixels. You can't even see this many pixels. Why do you need 8K?

8K is 33.2 megapixels. You can't even see this many pixels. Why do you need 8K?
Obviously, I am hoping if it supports 8k then it will do lower resolutions much better than my current mini. ie. better GPU.

Last edited:
I love the Mac OS and despise Windows. But I love PC hardware and despise Apple's. I thought about a Hackintosh, but I'm just too lazy to give it a go.

What drives do you have in there? RAID?
I have 4 of these : Samsung SSD 970 EVO 2TB.

It's in a software raid (striped).

I'm getting about 1.2GB/s, which is about 50% of what the Thunderbolt 2 port can deliver. The box has USB-C, but my Mac doesn't have that.

Pro Tip : calculate your max available bandwidth on the port you'll connect to and only buy drives that meet that spec. I.e., the drives I purchased are overkill for Thunderbolt 2. Per their spec, 4xstriped performance should be about 14GB/s. USB-C is 2x TB2 and so "only" 5GB/s.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new Mac Mini to replace my late 2012 with SSD and 16 GB RAM. I started using Logic Pro X about 6 weeks ago and I continue to experience quirky issues that have had me on the phone with Apple support multiple times.

I was ready to purchase a new 2018 / i5 model tonight but now I'm considering the M1. Just wondering how long I would have to wait for Slate Digital All Access to support Big Sur?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new Mac Mini to replace my late 2012 with SSD and 16 GB RAM. I started using Logic Pro X about 6 weeks ago and I continue to experience quirky issues that have had me on the phone with Apple support multiple times.

I was ready to purchase a new 2018 / i5 model tonight but now I'm considering the M1. Just wondering how long I would have to wait for Slate Digital All Access to support Big Sur?

That's the wrong question :). With the M1 model, you'll need to wait until all your plugins are ported to ARM. Big Sur compatibility is irrelevant. The new macs announced this week are probably not a good choice for music production anyway. If you're having problems with your Intel mac, you'd be jumping from the frying pan into the fire if you trade it for an M1 mac.

The question remains if plugins will run in Rosetta 2 on an arm machine efficiently.
No one knows yet.
It does make one wonder say Logic Pro which has been ported and optimized to run on Arm, having non-ported plugs running in tandem.
Also it’s not clear, say if I migrate my system to arm, will the plugs be “installed” to run in rossetta 2?
It does say installing the software to run in Rosetta 2.
I am looking forward to seeing the results of music systems moving over to arm.
Also realize this is the entry level, lowest level CPU they’ve released.
So the performance piece Im curious about.

That's the wrong question :). With the M1 model, you'll need to wait until all your plugins are ported to ARM. Big Sur compatibility is irrelevant. The new macs announced this week are probably not a good choice for music production anyway. If you're having problems with your Intel mac, you'd be jumping from the frying pan into the fire if you trade it for an M1 mac.

Good points. I just placed an order for a new 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 with 1 TB storage.
Now to purchase 32 GB RAM, an external SSD or 2 and learn how to connect everything (going from a Late 2012 setup to this).

It does make one wonder say Logic Pro which has been ported and optimized to run on Arm, having non-ported plugs running in tandem.

Nope, that won't work. You have to run the DAW and plugins in Rosetta, or DAW and plugins native. You can't mix them.

Good points. I just placed an order for a new 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 with 1 TB storage.
Now to purchase 32 GB RAM, an external SSD or 2 and learn how to connect everything (going from a Late 2012 setup to this).

That's a great setup, I'm sure you'll be happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom