Anyone using Sonar Producer?

Wes37

Inspired
I've been a long time Sonar user, and my interface is a Presonus Firebox (which has always performed well). Since Axe FX II only records at 48Khz, I've been having problems getting either Sonar to work properly with Axe FX as well as other units. Today I got so frustrated with a project that I turned the Axe FX off and fired up my Marshall JMP-1 for recording.

So...

What interfacing are you good people using to record music from the Axe FX into your DAW (and Sonar specifically)? I might need to try something new.

Wes

Sonar X2a 64-bit. However I use audio out of the Axe FX to Line In on a MOTU Track 16.

If the axe is your only interface you should have zero problems recording at 48k BUT if you are using ASIO drivers you can only use one interface at a time w/ Sonar.

Last edited:
Hmm...that might be my problem. I'd prefer not to use the Axe FX as an interface so I can save it for guitar use only. I've reverted back to using the audio out from the Axe FX, but then out of the blue it started haing noticeable latency.

Perhaps today is not my day to record anything.

You can just use the analog outs of the Axe-fx into your presonus. As has been said, you can only use one device at a time with ASIO and you will have to convert existing projects to 48kHz.
analog sounds great and you don't need to worry about that stuff. I just use the USB for audio when I am tone matching or doing quick recordings.

Hmm...that might be my problem. I'd prefer not to use the Axe FX as an interface so I can save it for guitar use only. I've reverted back to using the audio out from the Axe FX, but then out of the blue it started haing noticeable latency.

Perhaps today is not my day to record anything.

If that is the case, then the latency is coming from what you are plugging the Axe-fx into (provided there is not something strange in your patch).

I went through the same issue. Sonar X1 does not allow you to change the sampling rate in the middle of a project. If your project is in 44.1 Khz, you cant change it to 48 Khz to record guitar tracks using Axe FX. You have to set the project to 48 Khz before you start.

I went through the same issue. Sonar X1 does not allow you to change the sampling rate in the middle of a project. If your project is in 44.1 Khz, you cant change it to 48 Khz to record guitar tracks using Axe FX. You have to set the project to 48 Khz before you start.

If he is using the Analog outs of the Axe-fx II, then he does not need to use 48kHz, he can stick at 44.1

Also, you can change the sampling rate by converting all the audio files to 48KHz. I use Soundforge to batch convert them all.

If he is using the Analog outs of the Axe-fx II, then he does not need to use 48kHz, he can stick at 44.1

Also, you can change the sampling rate by converting all the audio files to 48KHz. I use Soundforge to batch convert them all.

Exactly this.

If just recording the audio from the Axe - or ANY source actually - there is no need to change the sample rate. Audio is audio.

I'm using Sonar X2a Producer. Thanks for this info! I was just about to ask this same question on here and the Sonar forums but now I don't need to :) Does anyone know if it is OK to have different bit depths like 16bit and 24bit in the same project? Also, does Sonar X2a Producer have a way to convert existing Projects in 44.1K 16bit to 48K 24bit or is that a question for the Sonar forums?

By two different bit rates do you mean importing two audio files recorded at different but rates ? That's not a problem but I recommend you ALWAYS record at 24 and keep Sonar set to 24.

As to your second question I have no idea. Been using Cakewalk/Sonar for 10 years and have always recorded at 24 bit/44.1 K.

Yeah a bummer not able to use ax usb along side my focusrite for easy reamping. AISO limitation with windows/sonar.
Tried aiso4all once, screwed up my daw for a bit, finally got it cleaned up and working again after couple hours reloading drivers.
Never again...

I'm using the ASIO drivers...is anyone using the other drivers with succes?

I restarted the computer and things are working better, though the latency creeps back after 10 minutes or so. Turning the audio engine off and then back on seems to work.

I'm also using Sonar 8.5. I really don't see much difference with X1 and X2, but am I missing something?

If your latency is creeping up over time then you've got something funky in your config or some vst's introducing latency. What plugs are you using on the project ?

I assure you that if you are only using 1 interface in and your Axe audio is inbound thru that interface that the Axe isn't your issue.

X1 was rock solid after the "D" update for me. X2 has been rock solid since introduction for me but have you installed the "a" patch ?

I'm still using 8.5, and was only running the vintage channel and two other plugins on a Win 7 computer.

Yes, correct. I thought he wanted to record digital.
I was very frustrated back then when I tried to record digital in sonar because I wanted to be able to record both dry and wet signals for re-amping.

By two different bit rates do you mean importing two audio files recorded at different but rates ? That's not a problem but I recommend you ALWAYS record at 24 and keep Sonar set to 24.

As to your second question I have no idea. Been using Cakewalk/Sonar for 10 years and have always recorded at 24 bit/44.1 K.

Same here - no issues. I have never and I never will use the axe as my sound cared. ( was recoding long before I got the Axe, actully long before it was even invented, I record analog and it sounds great to me. No hasssles,

Asio is a Windows thing, not a Sonarthing. It's not recommended but Sonar will let you share rivers i9f you must.

I was trying to record digital as the sound is clearer, but had issues even with analog. I normally have to reset the Presonus drivers every time I use Sonar, so I think think the two don't play together well.

Back
Top Bottom