Anyone using Red Sound FRFRs?

That thought makes me cringe. It’d be painfully loud. I’m imagining 2x4x12 type volume.
Fear not @Greg Ferguson - value my ears too much to risk wiping them out.
Two of these in what is essentially a medium sized domestic space is a LOT more than adequate.
I'm pretty sure the Elis 8's would have been perfectly up to the job too but having tried the 10's I knew satisfaction guaranteed and doesn't everyone like a lot of headroom to spare? :D

Last edited:
Anyone worried about if these little Eli’s.8s can hold their own, fear not. I am almost on top of a really loud rock drummer tonight. The Elis.8 master is on 7 Af3 output is at maybe 25%. Holy shizzle these things are way louder than you need. Thanks to Marco for recommending and helping design. They sound so much “better” than the head rush. The top end and low end is in the “right” spot for guitar. They are darker, but it’s good.

G66 (Europe) sells the red sound MF10 as well and I have ordered them. As I said before the SOUND was super and I have also found out that the service from G66 for the Red Sound MF10 is also very good. I mailed them that I had some rumbling noise in the passive cab (and not the active cab at the same time). This happened with the low frequencies when volume was set louder. Max on the Axe FX and on mf10 not above 6.

They send a replacement and wanted the other one back for technical review. This all was solved in 2 day's! Got the replacement including return stickers. I just had to deliver the box to UPS...

It is official. Crazy loud. If you think you might need more, you don't. I played a good sized theatre gig on Saturday night. The sound crew were shocked. I got a "Wow, they aren't even being pushed that hard are they?". I had the Elis.8 master on 8 and the Af3 output on noon.

It is official. Crazy loud. If you think you might need more, you don't. I played a good sized theatre gig on Saturday night. The sound crew were shocked. I got a "Wow, they aren't even being pushed that hard are they?". I had the Elis.8 master on 8 and the Af3 output on noon.

The 8's are crazy good. I can't even imagine how loud the 10s would be.

The 8's are crazy good. I can't even imagine how loud the 10s would be.
I read somewhere that the 10s are only 20 watts continuous louder than the 8s (each). I wonder if the coverage area is bigger. The only downside to the 8s is you have to be right in front of them to really "hear" the top end properly.

I read somewhere that the 10s are only 20 watts continuous louder than the 8s (each). I wonder if the coverage area is bigger. The only downside to the 8s is you have to be right in front of them to really "hear" the top end properly.
20W isn't much of a difference in actual volume when the speakers are running loud. The difference in speaker area of the 10s will affect their apparent volume because of the punch and lower range of the lows available; They'll have more "thump".

There are definitely times I'd rather have 8" speakers over 10" or 12" because they'll fit into the overall blend of the stage sound better.

20W isn't much of a difference in actual volume when the speakers are running loud. The difference in speaker area of the 10s will affect their apparent volume because of the punch and lower range of the lows available; They'll have more "thump".

There are definitely times I'd rather have 8" speakers over 10" or 12" because they'll fit into the overall blend of the stage sound better.
That is one of the main reasons I went for the 8s. One of the others was that Marco Fanton commented that he preferred the 8s now. MF10 = Marco Fanton 10. I doubt they make a bad set of speakers. I might even get a pair of 10s just to have another flavor for different room types. Eventually, I would like to get a pair of CLRs, EVs, and maybe RCFs.

That is one of the main reasons I went for the 8s. One of the others was that Marco Fanton commented that he preferred the 8s now. MF10 = Marco Fanton 10. I doubt they make a bad set of speakers. I might even get a pair of 10s just to have another flavor for different room types. Eventually, I would like to get a pair of CLRs, EVs, and maybe RCFs.
And why spend so much money when you just can have meyer sound mjf-208 or 210/212 and fulfill all your dreams. :D

It’s the power amp that appears to be different
The Elis is Class D
The MF is and Analog A/B
The MF would be a bit rounder and warmer on the highs probably more like a guitar amp ,

I wouldn’t try to fight the drummer, good drummers understand dynamics and when to get loud and when to back down.

They can easily keep up if they’re your personal monitors. If you’re expecting them to fill the room then they are probably underpowered, but that’s when we hand FOH an XLR and let that system pick up the load.
From my experience of 40 odd years... The best drummers understand dynamics and play the song, but sometimes you have to put up with a very good drummer that has to be encouraged to listen, rather than just play in time, very noisily. I find asking if my guitar playing was getting in the way of the drum solo can help a drummer realise they were getting a little carried away during the guitar breaks. ;) (Not generally a fan of passive aggression, but it sure as hell beats some other languages of communicating with percussionists... :tearsofjoy: ) Sometimes having a little more power available from the guitar amp can be helpful, but that's pretty much how I ended up blowing the mid driver in my Fearless F115 last year.

Some of the best drummers I have ever played with would not be considered particularly good by many drummers. But then some of the best guitar players have never been considered "guitar gods" by many either. But they know how to play to bring out the best in the song/tune, and to bring out the best in the band they are playing in with immaculate precision. (Glen Campbell and Steve Gadd spring to mind as two of the very best understated virtuosos on their instrument.)

Reading the MF10 experiences here makes me want one, even knowing I'm fully content with my Elis.8 pair.

My MF10 pair will hopefully get to meet a noisy acoustic drummer (that listens most of the time ;)) on Thursday evening. Gain is somewhere around the half way mark on the MF10 amp at the moment, and will probably need to come up a little. Unless you have that problem, I'm sure you can stay content with the Elis.8s.

Liam

Like the Mf10s. For live/plating in a room use, I use one MF10 combined with one CLR Neo to dial in the last year's worth of LiveGold TonePack sounds, and I love it. The MF10 has a good guitar-cab like bottom end, not boxy or flubby. The CLR gives me the smooth hi mids up top I like to hear. The MF10s are way loud and I get a nice volume with my Axe-FX III at about 2:00 at +4db Audio and the MF10 on 4 - and it can get way louder if you need it. I would recommend them to anyone looking for greta FRFR monitors that are super lightweight to carry and disperse well too, angle wise.

For TLDR comparison, go to page 5. They evidently sound similar enough for no-one to notice.

I love the MF10s. They are very much an "electric guitar oriented" FRFR, and for me can't quite get the breathy top end I'd want for acoustic guitar or vocals. But then why would they? They do what they are designed for amazingly well!

@austinbuddy, would you care to comment on how CLR Neos compare in that particular respect? Not sure they are available anywhere here in the UK, and I'm set with some good PA speakers for acoustic guitars anyway, but very interested in your opinion.

I'm so tempted to supplement with a pair of ELIS.8s as something more portable for smaller occasions. But if they really are that indistinguishable from MF10s, it feels a tough purchase to justify.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom