Anyone using an analog preamp into Axe FX's FX Loop?

iaminthesea

Hello,

I am researching the best way to solve my silent recording situation. I am fascinated by the Axe Fx's expanding library of amps and cabinets and it's very flexible routing system.

I have read dozens of threads and most of the manual and I have not been able to find the answer I am looking for.

Is it possible to use the Axe Fx with an external analog (or digital) guitar preamp such as a Mesa Boogie or Egnater with the Axe FX either through the input or the effects loop return and route it straight into just a modeled power amp (not the preamp) and then a cabinet block?

Everything I am seeing indicates that I would have to run through a complete amp model block then into a cabinet block.

Is it possible to disable the preamp section of the various Axe FX amp model blocks and just use the power section? With all of the numerous amp block parameters it seems that this may be possible but I haven't seen anything like that in the manual.

It would be very practical for me to use the Axe FX as a power amp/cabinet modeler with my current rack rig of analog tube guitar preamps and effects. I have made a huge investment in gear, looping and wiring and I have tones I would really like to retain in a transition to an Axe FX lifestyle. Being able to plug into an Axe FX instead of my poweramp/iso-box would solve the neighbors sleeping issue in a very graceful way. It would be incredible to have access to all of those cabinets and models without having to run a load box on my power amp to get a line level out to feed into a cabinet block.

It would seem logical that the FX Loop would somehow be able to be routed to send after a modeled preamp and return before a modeled amplifier section, since that is the way effects loops work on amps in the real world. It seems that there would be a potential for a wide range of tonal colors with this flexibility.

Another solution possible to my situation would be an Amp block that is just a model of a power amp. Is this possible with the "tone matching" feature?

Is it possible to set the preamp parameters to be completely "flat" and add no coloration to a signal prior to the amplifier section?

Is anyone else out there doing something like this? Perhaps in a live rig?

Thanks for any advice or experience anyone wishes to share.

Iaminthesea

I used to run analog preamps and I tried them with the Axe Fx and found I didn't need them. There really was no point because the Axe FX was better.

Before the Axe FX I had a dual preamp rig with cab sims, an Eventide, TC Electronics, etc. I sold all 18 spaces of gear and switched to just the Axe FX. I never looked back.

And no, I'm afraid you cannot use just the power amp sims. It's really difficult to not have the amp models not color your sound. As to whether or not you like the coloration that's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom