Anyone use a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 for SPDIF Reamping?

Hi there, I have a 6i6 so I followed your guide step by step (very accurate, it's a pleasure) unfortunately I encounter an issue at the dry recording part. I don't hear any sound from the Axe (not even the dry sound, why is the SPDIF IN track muted in MixControl?) so I'm assuming it's coming from my DAW settings, but I don't find what to do. For the Wet Stereo 01 track, when you write "Set Output to a DAW bus", do you mean the Master channel of the DAW? And if yes, what else could be wrong in my settings?
Sorry to be such a newbie ^^'

Regards,
Steelboy

Hi there, I have a 6i6 so I followed your guide step by step (very accurate, it's a pleasure) unfortunately I encounter an issue at the dry recording part. I don't hear any sound from the Axe (not even the dry sound, why is the SPDIF IN track muted in MixControl?) so I'm assuming it's coming from my DAW settings, but I don't find what to do. For the Wet Stereo 01 track, when you write "Set Output to a DAW bus", do you mean the Master channel of the DAW? And if yes, what else could be wrong in my settings?
Sorry to be such a newbie ^^'

Regards,
Steelboy

Did you connect Axe Output 1 (analog) to the Scarlett? This method doesn't rely on a DAW setting for monitoring processed sound. The Wet stereo track should just be sent to the master like a normal track, so you can hear it on playback.

The guide mentions using Scarlett XLR mic inputs but I would just use the rear Line inputs 1/2, avoiding mic preamps.

Connect Axe-FX Output 1 1/4" L/R to those line inputs.

In MixControl set a stereo channel pair to Line in 1/2. (dropdown setting bove the level & pan sliders) I don't know if this will appear as analog 3/4 or Line 1/2. In any case it's the setting you don't see in the PDF screenshot.

If you followed the guide exactly, the only difference would be that the the Scarlett mic inputs are used, from Axe XLR out (or 1/4" if you have the cables/adapters for it). So, it's not really clear if something was done incorrectly so far. It would be good to post a MixControl screenshot if you're still unable to monitor the wet sound. Also verify the Output 1 knob is turned up.

Are the input meters of the Axe moving? Like Bakerman said - make sure you turn the Output 1 knob on the front of the Axe up. I did that when I first set it up. ;) You will then set your level in your DAW for Stereo outs 1/2 of the Axe into your interface into your interface inputs (I use 3/4 line inputs in the back). (just like recording a normal track).

The SPDIF IN track is muted in MixControl so you only hear your wet inputs coming out of the Axe stereo outs. You don't want to hear the dry guitar. You should see the MixControls meters for your analog 3/4 ins. Make sure those are unmuted so you can hear your wet signal.

Ok, I didn't connect the Axe output to the Scarlett because I thought it wasn't necessary with the SPDIF method. Is it better to connect in balanced or unbalanced?

The Scarlett's line ins should have less of an effect on the sound than the mic inputs. The manual doesn't mention if they're balanced so they probably aren't. You could compare processed line-in and SPDIF recordings to see if the analog line in method adds any noticeable noise.

Even if you don't record the wet track, it is useful for going back in via analog from the axe-fx just for direct monitoring while tracking.

If you are doing all SPDIF, then you will need to change your USB/Digi Out Source every time you go back and forth between tracking (INPUT) and reamping (OUTPUT 1).

I just record into the Scarlett Line Ins and don't notice any additional noise. I ended up going the line in route because it easy to only have to switch the Axe Main Input Source to flip over to reamping. With this setup I don't have to mess with Focusrite Control except for setting my mix level.

use the AXE FX USB For reamping
if someone looking for a portable Audio interface with a great mic pre and great Di input
go for
Audient iD14 or iD22

Ok, so now I connected my Axe outputs to the rear line 3/4 unbalanced, I get the Axe sound in my monitors but when I record in my DAW (Cubase 8.5) I get a dry record but the wet track remains empty. Below are the screenshots of my VST Connexions and Tracks Config. in Cubase.

Capture d’écran 2016-08-25 à 15.20.49.png Capture d’écran 2016-08-25 à 15.21.53.png Capture d’écran 2016-08-25 à 15.22.36.png Capture d’écran 2016-08-25 à 15.22.54.png Capture d’écran 2016-08-25 à 15.41.07.png

I must confess I'm completely lost regarding the signal path in this reamping method, so you're really helpful, guys, I would never thank you enough.

It looks like you may need to enable Line in 3/4 somewhere in Cubase's audio device settings. They should likely show up in that first image afterward, which only has XLR and SPDIF now.

I've been struggling trying to get this method to work. It's probably something obvious that I'm missing. I'm running xl+ -> 18i20 2nd gen -> Reaper. I have Focusrite control, as opposed to Focusrite mix control. I have spdif in/out running from the axe to the 18i20, along with an xlr from output 1 of the axe into input 3 of the 18i20. Both tracks are wet in Reaper. I can't figure out how to get both dry and wet at the same time. Thanks!

If anyone wants a used 1st gen Scarlett 6i6. $100 PayPal and it's yours.

PM me if interested as it works, it's just collecting dust.

Back
Top Bottom