Anyone read the latest Rolling Stone? EVH Content.

I just finished reading the book today. One thing's for sure (IMO, of course)... Ronnie Montrose and Eddie are a couple of A-holes. And Sammy has people that can back up what he has to say about them.

Do tell.

Although I appreciate what Sammy has to say, gotta keep in mind it's only his side. We probably won't hear the other side...which is too bad.

Ron

I know there's always two sides to every story but Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith are two guys that got to witness Ed and his warped way of thinking first hand. Ed's drug and alcohol addiction and his denial of the problems are a sad story. Guitar picks and not the cigarette smoking the cause of his tongue cancer? Please.

I don't know shit from shin'ola but one thing I do know............

If someone says that everyone they worked with were A-***** then there is usually something wrong with the story teller.

Just saying

I heard that all this started with Eddie while waiting for the first Axe-Fx to come out.... I'm not to far behind him waiting an the Axe-II, 3 or 4 weeks ago I was almost normal. :)

Just because you can play guitar like (almost) nobody else, doesn't automatically mean that you're smart too... Some of the most killer players really are a bit like football (soccer) players when it comes to brain power ...

If you have never noticed the genius of Eddie I would have to question your intelligence..... Most genius (in all realms not just music) comes from obsessing and perfecting something. This usually leaves an unbalanced life that many turn to chemicals to cope.. and yes it is sad :(

I'm kind of on the fence. I mean if you are going to publish a book that's supposed to be semi-honest you really have to include all the details that surrounded the situation. Any kind of censorship or heavy handed editing detracts from the truthfulness. I haven't read the book and don't plan to, but people wanted answers as to what happened and if the stories were important to demonstrate what happened than you kind of need them.

What I will say though is that they are obviously through the eyes of Sammy so there has to be some sense of the perspective taken into account. I'm also sure that isolated incidents that are the juiciest would be what made it into the book rather than the tons of moments where he may have been a sane and rationale (i.e., boring) person.

One thing is for certain though. They were one of the biggest bands in the world at one point and the last album they released kind of showed that they were falling apart and there had to be a story behind it. If this is Sammy's rendition of it than perhaps it's needed or welcome by some fans. Personally I don't really care about someone's private life that much. It does make you worry about the guy though.

Whatever Sammy saw (and I'm a Sammy fan also) was because he was trusted, so what does that say about him? Human Beings I guess, no ex can usually find good things to say about the past ...... but then again when you are being abducted by aliens its hard not to be completley truthful.... (truth serium injections and brain downloads you know) :eek:P

I bought and read the book, finished it a few weeks ago. I honestly was disgusted with the accounts of Eddie's and Al's behavior over the years. But, Sammy certainly was no angel, and didn't paint himself that way. He owned up to some fairly nasty things he did over the years as well.

Book was an "ok" read, not great. And it reminded me that no matter how talented someone may be at their art-form, they can still be (and often are) bad examples of decency and humanity.

awful and very sad

about the same memories as I first saw that video,
and I was shocked
eddie van halen in his backyard:

Just saw where Slash commented about a mutual studio guy working on his album and said Van Halens new album was in final mixing stages .... :eek:

C'mon... this is pretty damn funny

“He may have lost a chunk of his tongue to cancer, but he was still smoking cigarettes. He claimed the cancer came from putting the guitar pick in his mouth while he used his fingers to play.”

Truely saddening.

I still haven't heard any that I like more than Eddie's playing. Faster? Sure. More accurate? Yeah! More complicated? Certainly. More fun? Nope. Never.

But there's no denying that he hasn't aged well. Which is a shame seeing the talent being wasted and knowing he will probably never rise to the level he was at.
Actually, I've seen worse than that video.

C'mon... this is pretty damn funny

“He may have lost a chunk of his tongue to cancer, but he was still smoking cigarettes. He claimed the cancer came from putting the guitar pick in his mouth while he used his fingers to play.”

Those new vaporizer smokeless cigarettes have everything removed from them but the nicotene.. they found a use for all the left over ingredients..... guitar picks :) LOL

In my teens and 20's and even beyond, I always feared locking myself away to woodshed and do the deep-dive into music. I was afraid I'd be consumed and, like many artists, lose my way when I stepped out with killer chops into a complex and unforgiving world. My childhood had panned out in a way that made me question "disappearing" into music like that.

Instead, I woodshedded on "growing up" and how to be a decent human being, believing that would ensure my long-term survival better than the other.

I often wonder about those who gave up decades in the "real world" to be consumed by their craft and ultimately to come crashing down in one form another after amazing musical accomplishments...I've wondered how much of that (apart from the realities of addiction) had to do with simply woodshedding music instead of learning the "chops" of being a reasonably well-adjusted, mature and wise person.

Anyway, probably way off topic but this thread had me thinking about that.

yeah I really wonder why hes writing the book, he doesnt need the money and no one cares why he split with vh, must be out of spite and venom.

Back
Top Bottom