Anyone have any luck with the rectifier models?

firmani99

Inspired
I have mostly play a Mark IV and I can get it to sound basically identical to my real Mark IV but the rectifier models sounds so buzzy and tubby. I have a dual and a triple rectifier so I know that they have the quality to them but the real amps I can dial to sound decent but I can't do anything with the models in the Axe Fx. On the real amp I put a parametric eq before the amp set at 90hz and remove some low end but when I try to do that in the Axe I can't get anywhere near it. I can't get it to sound remotely like the real amp. Any one use them and have any feedback? Maybe I am missing something?

I'm going to have to give it a try again tomorrow. But no I don't think so, all I'm getting is mush. And like I said I am running it right next to the real amp and they have similar characteristics but the model is unusable. I must be missing something. I'm going to try to play around some more.
I have no doubts about the axe fx, like I said I can nail my Mark IV tone. Its odd.

If you are using the Modern mode then it's all about the Spkr page. Since that mode has no negative feedback the speaker resonance has a tremendous effect on the sound. Adjust LF Res, Freq and Q to get desired response.
What he said. Try puting the low res freq at 109, the Q at 2.0 and the low freq res at 5.83. This is what is was in Q1.06 and what I'm using now. Sounds SOOOOOOO damn good and makes all the difference. Probably the best tone I've ever heard ever. I can upload my preset if you care enough or you can just plug those numbers in.

What he said. Try puting the low res freq at 109, the Q at 2.0 and the low freq res at 5.83. This is what is was in Q1.06 and what I'm using now. Sounds SOOOOOOO damn good and makes all the difference. Probably the best tone I've ever heard ever. I can upload my preset if you care enough or you can just plug those numbers in.

Those settings are based on the "Traditional" or whatever they call the smaller cab. The new values are based on the Oversize. Perhaps I should put them back to the old values. I've been contemplating putting a parameter on the Speaker page from which you can select any of the cabs that we've captured data. I think we've got about data on about 30 or so cabs.

Those settings are based on the "Traditional" or whatever they call the smaller cab. The new values are based on the Oversize. Perhaps I should put them back to the old values. I've been contemplating putting a parameter on the Speaker page from which you can select any of the cabs that we've captured data. I think we've got about data on about 30 or so cabs.

I'm all for it.

That would be awesome and would probably make the speaker page tweaks pretty simple if you could select the match and load settings

I have mostly play a Mark IV and I can get it to sound basically identical to my real Mark IV but the rectifier models sounds so buzzy and tubby. I have a dual and a triple rectifier so I know that they have the quality to them but the real amps I can dial to sound decent but I can't do anything with the models in the Axe Fx. On the real amp I put a parametric eq before the amp set at 90hz and remove some low end but when I try to do that in the Axe I can't get anywhere near it. I can't get it to sound remotely like the real amp. Any one use them and have any feedback? Maybe I am missing something?

I would also look at some of the presets Jon Symons posts ,If you like his tones , to me he has some of the biggest Recto tones i have heard

I can't tell you how awesome this sounds. That page has been one of the most abstract to me, so to have even a rough frame of reference would be great!

Another thing with the Modern modes is that the power amp distorts early (again since there is no negative feedback and, therefore, the power amp has a lot more gain). At 9:00 on the Master the power amp is distorting (it's probably a linear taper pot for the ol' "Wow, this amp is loud bro!"). The taper of the Axe-Fx Master Volume is not the same and you have to turn it up higher to get the same amount of virtual power amp distortion.

Another thing is that if you put ANYTHING in the loop of a Recto it changes the tone significantly. Even just a short cable. All the models were made with the loop off.

And another thing is that Rectos changed a lot. I have three of them and they all sound completely different. One of them has a different value Gain pot than the others. One of them has a different value bright cap than the one with the same Gain pot. Since the gain pot and bright cap interact this makes a HUGE difference. Experiment with the Bright Cap value.

The Recto1 models are based on our Rev. F (IIRC, whatever the desirable ones are). The Recto2 models are based on the latest version.

Please do!!! I have thought these setting should align to cab irs and I have suggested ir vendors provide the specs. Having an alignment drop down would be fantastic!!!

This would be great. Please do it :)

That's an interesting solution. I think the old values sound WAY better even if they're less accurate. I guess it all depends on if you're going for Ideal vs Authentic. For me, the combo of an Oversize IR with the Traditional's Low Res values gives me the absolute best of both worlds with zero downsides. I'm seriously going to bed giggling and smiling about how happy that little detail makes me. What a great time to be alive.

Last edited:
Cool! Lots of great info here! I was hesitant to post about it because I thought I was crazy but I'm glad I did. In going to play around with it and let you guys know how I make out.

Back
Top Bottom