1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have any luck with the rectifier models?

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by firmani99, Jan 29, 2016.

1. firmani99

firmani99
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I have mostly play a Mark IV and I can get it to sound basically identical to my real Mark IV but the rectifier models sounds so buzzy and tubby. I have a dual and a triple rectifier so I know that they have the quality to them but the real amps I can dial to sound decent but I can't do anything with the models in the Axe Fx. On the real amp I put a parametric eq before the amp set at 90hz and remove some low end but when I try to do that in the Axe I can't get anywhere near it. I can't get it to sound remotely like the real amp. Any one use them and have any feedback? Maybe I am missing something?

2. Jason Scott

Jason Scott
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I don't know, this sounds pretty convincing:

Does that reflect what you're hearing?

boardwlk17, symphx, Azael and 2 others like this.
  3. firmani99

firmani99
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I'm going to have to give it a try again tomorrow. But no I don't think so, all I'm getting is mush. And like I said I am running it right next to the real amp and they have similar characteristics but the model is unusable. I must be missing something. I'm going to try to play around some more.
    I have no doubts about the axe fx, like I said I can nail my Mark IV tone. Its odd.

4. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

5. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

If you are using the Modern mode then it's all about the Spkr page. Since that mode has no negative feedback the speaker resonance has a tremendous effect on the sound. Adjust LF Res, Freq and Q to get desired response.

pima1234, Fl7x, firmani99 and 3 others like this.
  6. deathbyguitar

deathbyguitar
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

What he said. Try puting the low res freq at 109, the Q at 2.0 and the low freq res at 5.83. This is what is was in Q1.06 and what I'm using now. Sounds SOOOOOOO damn good and makes all the difference. Probably the best tone I've ever heard ever. I can upload my preset if you care enough or you can just plug those numbers in.

symphx and firmani99 like this.
  7. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Those settings are based on the "Traditional" or whatever they call the smaller cab. The new values are based on the Oversize. Perhaps I should put them back to the old values. I've been contemplating putting a parameter on the Speaker page from which you can select any of the cabs that we've captured data. I think we've got about data on about 30 or so cabs.

Ben.Last, RFDowden, marcor66 and 44 others like this.
  8. ocaptainjr2

ocaptainjr2
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I'm all for it.

9. Jason Scott

Jason Scott
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

This is a short test using the Recto2 Orange Modern and Recto New Mix cab. Sounds okay to me.

Black Bitch, symphx, lokmund and 5 others like this.
  10. Randalljax

Randalljax
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

That would be awesome and would probably make the speaker page tweaks pretty simple if you could select the match and load settings

symphx likes this.
  11. Randalljax

Randalljax
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I would also look at some of the presets Jon Symons posts ,If you like his tones , to me he has some of the biggest Recto tones i have heard

firmani99 likes this.
  12. kevinerror

kevinerror
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I can't tell you how awesome this sounds. That page has been one of the most abstract to me, so to have even a rough frame of reference would be great!

13. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Another thing with the Modern modes is that the power amp distorts early (again since there is no negative feedback and, therefore, the power amp has a lot more gain). At 9:00 on the Master the power amp is distorting (it's probably a linear taper pot for the ol' "Wow, this amp is loud bro!"). The taper of the Axe-Fx Master Volume is not the same and you have to turn it up higher to get the same amount of virtual power amp distortion.

Another thing is that if you put ANYTHING in the loop of a Recto it changes the tone significantly. Even just a short cable. All the models were made with the loop off.

And another thing is that Rectos changed a lot. I have three of them and they all sound completely different. One of them has a different value Gain pot than the others. One of them has a different value bright cap than the one with the same Gain pot. Since the gain pot and bright cap interact this makes a HUGE difference. Experiment with the Bright Cap value.

The Recto1 models are based on our Rev. F (IIRC, whatever the desirable ones are). The Recto2 models are based on the latest version.

Steinmetzify, pima1234, Fl7x and 4 others like this.
  14. brokenvail

brokenvail
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Where you set your mast volume in the amp block can cause the tone to behave the way you are describing

firmani99 likes this.
  15. Manny Fufish

Manny Fufish
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Please do!!! I have thought these setting should align to cab irs and I have suggested ir vendors provide the specs. Having an alignment drop down would be fantastic!!!

Ben.Last likes this.
  16. soheil

soheil
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

This would be great. Please do it :)

17. #17 deathbyguitar, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    deathbyguitar

deathbyguitar
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

That's an interesting solution. I think the old values sound WAY better even if they're less accurate. I guess it all depends on if you're going for Ideal vs Authentic. For me, the combo of an Oversize IR with the Traditional's Low Res values gives me the absolute best of both worlds with zero downsides. I'm seriously going to bed giggling and smiling about how happy that little detail makes me. What a great time to be alive.

18. firmani99

firmani99
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Mine sounds absolutely nothing like that! But I am going to take some advice from this thread and play around tomorrow.

19. firmani99

firmani99
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Cool! Lots of great info here! I was hesitant to post about it because I thought I was crazy but I'm glad I did. In going to play around with it and let you guys know how I make out.

20. RB_Guitar

RB_Guitar
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Very good idea! Could you also consider adding a feature to globallly set the high res/low res settings to a fixed value? This would help us guys with power amp and real cab.

zenaxe, yves vanmeenen and Fl7x like this.