Anyone have an electric car?

Once you use a supercharger, you realize that just any charging station isn’t enough if you’re going far. You need something like supercharger to pull that off. Then stopping to charge turns into “let’s go have a burger and come back 30 min later” vs “let’s find something to do for the next 3 hours”.

And I doubt chargers will be free, even in Florida. Supercharger is very much non-free for most Tesla owners - where I live it’s 2.5x per kWh compared to what I’d pay if I charged at home. Still much cheaper than gas, but not intended for daily use.

Musk knows other manufacturers are up the shit creek without a paddle when it comes to battery tech and capacity. That’s why they’re plowing all their revenues back into gigafactories. Soon enough he’ll have them by the balls. He feels so comfortable in his position he even offered others access to the supercharger network. Nobody has taken him up on his offer tho. A mistake - it’s clearly not viable for every manufacturer to roll their own.

So this one is OK with you, but not a Tesla?
Yea, I prefer !Tesla for my cars. What's wrong with me having that preference?
Last time it was the "Cost to Charge" in your area... Wouldn't that same cost apply to the Audi?
Totally. But if I did go electric, I'd put my money into the Audi or Porsche brands. I'm not going electric. Makes no sense for me to go electric. But I'm also not going $100k+ ICE either. My needs are minivan-based these days.
Again, no offense but it seems you have an quite obvious bias for something you;ve never owned... That would be like me saying Kemper Sucks, tho I've only owned Helix & a Few Fractal Products.
Why do you assume I've never owned an electric car? The Leaf lasted 6 months before I realized it was a failed experiement and dropped it. The Tesla was a contender in that decision but nixed for cost, availability and reliability concerns at the time (circa 2015).

Do I dislike Tesla? Mostly. I think they make objectively bad vehicles and do everything they can to avoid admitting that. Did they help cause a sea change in an industry? Yup. I'll give them credit for that. But I don't think they represent good value in a vehicle.

Going 0-60 in 2 seconds doesn't mean shit to me if I have to do it in a car with awful seats and an interior with terrible ergonomics. I value those things more than 0-60 times. The opportunities for me to safely and legally drive a car that way are few and far between anyways. Most of my driving used to be sitting in traffic wishing I wasn't.

But really, why do you care if I think your car sucks and wouldn't buy one myself? You shouldn't. But you seem really invested in my opinion.

You do your own math, draw your own conclusions on where to spend your money. Don't worry so much about what people on the internet think.

Also: thank you for paying that pioneer tax for the rest of us! :D

Last edited:
I think it’s Audi fans that’ll be paying the “tax”. At least Tesla owners get a viable car. Another viable car (for commute only) is Nissan Leaf, but it looks like a dishwasher and it’s not that much cheaper than a low end Tesla. Everyone else is only dabbling so far. Although ngl Hummer EV gives me a boner.

To be fair, many Japanese companies are more “American” than eg Ford. I own a Subaru which is made in Indiana. My wife’s old Camry was made in the US as well. It’s not black and white, and Germans do know how to make a proper car. Just not a proper electric car yet.

Also, there’s no need for such hostility here. It’s one of the last places on the Internet where people can respectfully disagree and appreciate nuance.

Ok I’m a US Marine Iraq veteran so please, I double dog dare you to come at my patriotism or lack thereof. I will buy whatever car or any other product that suits me or fits my needs no matter where it comes from. Enjoy your Fractal product made in China as well as a well earned accession to my ever-growing ignore list,you hopeless xenophobic ignorant twat.

Don't own a fractal anymore.
Fact is Tesla Makes 4 of the Most American cars, they've just been held off the list for the past 10 years for whatever reason.

The rest I'll just let you have.

To be fair, many Japanese companies are more “American” than eg Ford. I own a Subaru which is made in Indiana. My wife’s old Camry was made in the US as well. It’s not black and white, and Germans do know how to make a proper car. Just not a proper electric car yet.

Also, there’s no need for such hostility here. It’s one of the last places on the Internet where people can respectfully disagree and appreciate nuance.

F150 & Corvette top the list & Tesla has 4 on the list. In the Top 10
"Made in America" doesn't mean the Profits aren't going to Italy (Chrysler/Fiat) Japan, etc... but you are right to a point, that they aren't better or worse compared to a Trax made mostly in Mexico with Profits staying in the US Economy...

F150 & Corvette top the list & Tesla has 4 on the list. In the Top 10
"Made in America" doesn't mean the Profits aren't going to Italy (Chrysler/Fiat) Japan, etc... but you are right to a point, that they aren't better or worse compared to a Trax made mostly in Mexico with Profits staying in the US Economy...
Profits are secondary for me - there isn't that much profit in car manufacturing anyway. Tesla makes almost none even though they're a premium brand. It's the jobs that make all the the difference here in the US. People are either working, making their 30-40 bucks an hour and leading a dignified life, or I'm paying for them and they're on the streets burning shit. I prefer the former. It's rational self interest, but it just happens to be better for them as well in this case. This will grow in importance going forward, as there's more and more automation.

I do admire the balls of anyone be they American, Japanese, or indeed South African, who dares to do any manufacturing in the United States. The whole US tax regime is hostile to such a thing. People who enacted it into law would much rather see all this manufacturing happen in China.

I love driving my Nissan Leaf. I bought a used car quite recently
That’s the thing about them imo. Even the cheaper ones drive great. You step on the pedal and instantly think “that’s how it’s supposed to be”.

I test drove the electric pony on the weekend. Really nice car, I think they hit it out of the park. Most impressive looked the top of the line one in red that was in the showroom. It looked huge, and really classy, like an Italian sports car.

I'm not so very original, so I decided to buy a used Tesla Model X. Btw, there was no day I regretted my decision. I did so partly because of my fascination with Elon Musk and everything he does for people and science, and partly because it's considered one of the best electric cars. If you have enough money and the necessary infrastructure, buy Tesla, and perhaps, you'll fall in love with space and Elon as I fell once:).

Back
Top Bottom