Anyone have an electric car?

Without batteries though you’re paying for both utility and solar power, which complicates the math. Tesla could easily change that by allowing their cars to be used as home batteries, but they won’t, since they also sell batteries separately.

While we’re on the topic of solar, what types of maintenance do you need to do and how often? I’ve been thinking of buying a cabin (once Starlink is fully deployed) and it’d make a lot of sense off grid to have solar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without batteries though you’re paying for both utility and solar power, which complicates the math.
A properly designed system over-generates. You earn credit for over production and that counts towards any actual electric charges. Once a year there is a true-up. If you've used more than you produced, you pay. If you don't you get refunded or it can carry over.

We do pay something like $10/mo for "minimum" charges..

And as I mentioned, in California you have no choice. You're required to stay on the grid.

While we’re on the topic of solar, what types of maintenance do you need to do and how often?
For me, none. SunRun owns the equipment and we are not supposed to touch it.

They have monitoring attached and they track the health of the system. They are obligated to make sure the system is generating the expected production levels.

LOL. It's like a cult.

Nobody's looking down on you for buying a car from a company that's only been building cars for 15 years. Your money, your perogative.

Strike a nerve, did I? :D

There's more reasons than just cold to not do electric in New Hampshire. High electricity costs and low sun exposure making solar panels not terrible effective at offsetting them being just two of the other big reasons.

You can, of course, make it work. But it's not a cost effective choice. Not nearly the slam dunk it would be in a sunny state like AZ or CA.

The go/no-go on electric is a more complex decision than just range.

No no nerve struck. Just a lot of your information is incredibly incorrect& no offense seems incredibly biased, should have put more LOLs after my statements... LOL with an LOL to my LOL

Michigan is by far one of the coldest states with the worst available winters.
Electic is very feasible option here, we are 16.07¢ / kWh while New Hampshire is 19.63¢ / kWh
So I still don't think the argument is holding water, I'm not doing Solar currently either...
The batteries last more than 10 years, Tesla said their worst case Battery only lost 10% I believe.

LOL. It's like a cult.

Nobody's looking down on you for buying a car from a company that's only been building cars for 15 years. Your money, your perogative.
That’s how long SpaceX has been building rockets too. And look at them now. 🚀 How long you’ve been doing something doesn’t mean a whole lot. It’s like with job applicants-some people claim “15 years of experience”, but when you probe it it turns out it’s really 1 year of experience 15 times. There’s a difference.

Note: that’s both slower (in base trim, RS is a tiny bit faster), and less range than Model Y. And 30% more expensive to boot. 🤦‍♂️
But built by a car company with a reputation for luxurious quality.

If you think the only reason to buy a car is to go from 0-60 as fast as possible, you want a motorbike.

Audi also has a “reputation” for poor reliability though. And it’s quite literally glorified Volkswagen. 😂

Audi also has a “reputation” for poor reliability though. And it’s quite literally glorified Volkswagen. 😂
That has long been solved for: https://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2015/10/20/consumer-reports-most-reliable-brands/3.html -- they are one of the most reliable manufacturers out there now by data.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...lity-survey-2021-cars-trucks-suvs/6337648002/

A4 and A5 are in the top ten.

Your uncle's '98 Quattro is not what Audi makes today. Hasn't been for quite some time now.

If you want to throw conspiracy theories around, ask yourself why Tesla doesn't provide the reliability data that every other manufacturer does to JD Power and CR and whatnot. If the data looked good, Musk would have spread it far and wide.

Last edited:
And $114k Model S is still sub 2 sec. Just less range: “only” 420 miles - an option not available in any other electric car. And that’s before you consider the supercharger network.

But built by a car company with a reputation for luxurious quality.

If you think the only reason to buy a car is to go from 0-60 as fast as possible, you want a motorbike.

So this one is OK with you, but not a Tesla?
Last time it was the "Cost to Charge" in your area... Wouldn't that same cost apply to the Audi?
Again, no offense but it seems you have an quite obvious bias for something you;ve never owned... That would be like me saying Kemper Sucks, tho I've only owned Helix & a Few Fractal Products.

So back to Range is King
238-mile range on the Audi
I just came back from the Airport & my 315 Mile Charge left me with 40 Miles!! Yep only 130 miles & that 40 leftover probably would be like 20 or 30... Due to Temps below 20 Degrees, with the Audi I'm stranded or Have to Stop at a Supercharger... Oh wait no SuperCharger Network???
New Teslas starting at 400+ Miles... Audi you should be ashamed cause your "Superior Engineering" is getting schooled by us idiot Americans... That's right I threw down the gauntlet... LOL, but seriously why can NO other car company get above 250 Mile Range???

TeslaAirportWinter.jpg

Partially off-topic, kind of, but I’d expect to see charging stations popping up like wildfire over the next year or so. I was tasked with finding a vendor to supply chargers for the property I oversee and found out the FPL (Florida’s electric company) will install them for free for us as they’re trying to promote them. Initially, I was just going to have one new station added (we already have 2 others), but now I’m removing the old ones and having 4 new stations placed around the property.

If FPL is doing this, I’d imagine more power companies are doing the same.

Partially off-topic, kind of, but I’d expect to see charging stations popping up like wildfire over the next year or so. I was tasked with finding a vendor to supply chargers for the property I oversee and found out the FPL (Florida’s electric company) will install them for free for us as they’re trying to promote them. Initially, I was just going to have one new station added (we already have 2 others), but now I’m removing the old ones and having 4 new stations placed around the property.

If FPL is doing this, I’d imagine more power companies are doing the same.

This is a necessity for everyone else's electrics to make it as a truly feasible option beyond just getting to work. It needs to be fast charging too as stopping for a 1/2 hour is not what you want on a long trip, making it even longer. SuperChargers I believe we're @20 minutes, but I believe they up'd it thru software after they got good data on being able to charge faster. Tesla can use these as well in addition to Tesla SuperChargers, but I bought back when you could get Free Unlimited SuperCharging, I don't use it all that much tho as I can go Airport & Back with my +300 Range

Back
Top Bottom