Anyone have a dynamic high gain patch (like EVH)?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I'm looking for tips to create a high gain (EVH brown sound type of thing) preset which will clean up from the guitar's volume control and not be swamped by noise. So far all my high gain presets have required setting the noise gate threshold so high it interferes with the sound when the guitar's volume is rolled back. What are the best amp models to use for this? Anyone have any good presets to share? I've done some searching on Axechange but couldn't find what I wanted...

Pete Thorns patch is one of the Gold standards I've heard.

As far as the noise gate. You have the Ultra right? If so, place a noise block after the amp block go to a blank row add shunts until you get to the amp block then connect the shunt to the noise gate. Set the gate SCSel to the row where the shunts connect to the gate.

Now since the gate is getting the detection from the input you can set the threshold down to where it is below your lowest playing level. But you can be aggressive with (fast attack/release, high ratio) the gating. Because the gate is after the amp block it will get rid of the hissing when your not playing, but open up for the quiet passages.

I have not heard Pete Thorn's patch yet, but I would love to get my hands on Dweezil's Eruption patch as it is dead balls on. (Wink, Wink, Dweez...you readin' this?) Just as an aside, IMO most of the VH patches with various modelers I have heard over the years dial in too much gain for the early VH tone.

javajunkie said:
If so, place a noise block after the amp block go to a blank row add shunts until you get to the amp block then connect the shunt to the noise gate. Set the gate SCSel to the row where the shunts connect to the gate.
Add shunts between GATE (input) and the noise gate on a new row?

mesaboog said:
I have not heard Pete Thorn's patch yet, but I would love to get my hands on Dweezil's Eruption patch as it is dead balls on. (Wink, Wink, Dweez...you readin' this?) Just as an aside, IMO most of the VH patches with various modelers I have heard over the years dial in too much gain for the early VH tone.
+1
Pete's one sounds good. Unfortunately I have to mess with it because I'm using a guitar cab. So all the FX after the cab block need to run in front.

Stringtheorist said:
javajunkie said:
If so, place a noise block after the amp block go to a blank row add shunts until you get to the amp block then connect the shunt to the noise gate. Set the gate SCSel to the row where the shunts connect to the gate.

No, shunts on a new row and connect to the gate on the row where you amp is.

shunt-amp -gate-etc
shunt-shunt/

Don't worry, it won't send a signal thru gate when the scselect is set. It just gets its trigger from there.

Trying this tonight !
Java - Do you turn off the default up-front patch gate, or use it in conjunction with this trick ?

m lebofsky said:
Trying this tonight !
Java - Do you turn off the default up-front patch gate, or use it in conjunction with this trick ?

I've been turning it off.

We've just been doing some hi-gainish stuff like Linkin Park, Switchfoot, Santus Real, and some industrial type rock stuff. I was getting at little annoyed, because the amps were hissing even when the gate was on (it needed to be dead silent), but when I added the gate after the amp it cut it off too abruptly. I remember the side chain feature and I got the best of both worlds. :D

Cliff the mad genius strikes again. :D

javajunkie said:
Stringtheorist said:
javajunkie said:

shunt-amp -gate-etc
shunt-shunt/

Don't worry, it won't send a signal thru gate when the scselect is set. It just gets its trigger from there.
I'm a bit confused here :? ... maybe it's just because I had a verrrry long day and its 3.30 in the morning, but could you post a quick screenshot when you find the time ?

Thanks...

VegaBaby said:
javajunkie said:
javajunkie said:

shunt-amp -gate-etc
shunt-shunt/

I'm a bit confused here :? ... maybe it's just because I had a verrrry long day and its 3.30 in the morning, but could you post a quick screenshot when you find the time ?

Thanks...

Here you go. Of cource you would want to put the gate after the amp instead of at the end, but I was in a hurry :D

Attachments

• gate.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 526
javajunkie said:
Stringtheorist said:
javajunkie said:

shunt-amp -gate-etc
shunt-shunt/

OK, I tried this last night but I couldn't get anything sensible out of it. Twiddled all the parameters but I couldn't get the guitar signal to start abruptly..gate was opening too slowly. Found the main noise gate easier to control. I might give it another go later.

Stringtheorist said:
Stringtheorist said:
javajunkie said:

OK, I tried this last night but I couldn't get anything sensible out of it. Twiddled all the parameters but I couldn't get the guitar signal to start abruptly..gate was opening too slowly. Found the main noise gate easier to control. I might give it another go later.

If it opens too slowly, turn the attack down. If it holds the gate for too long, turn the hold down, if doesn't release fast enough turn the release down. Start with them all set really low. The ratio determines how aggressive the gate will be. A high ratio will cut off more abruptly and not sputter, but may sound unnatural at higher thresholds. A longer release with a high ratio, low threshold, fast attack and hold should give you a smooth, aggressive gate that only cuts off when you are not playing and doesn't activate at all when you make any noise above the threshold.

Hmm, still very hit and miss for me, I'm afraid. I can get good enough results for presets that stay high gain all the time but if I want to clean up with the volume control either the gate closes too abruptly or opens too slowly and no amount of twiddling seems to help. :|

Stringtheorist said:
Hmm, still very hit and miss for me, I'm afraid. I can get good enough results for presets that stay high gain all the time but if I want to clean up with the volume control either the gate closes too abruptly or opens too slowly and no amount of twiddling seems to help. :|

Set the threshold, with the tone cleaned up. The key is to only have it engage when there is noise, not playing.

Hey Java,

thank you for the tip! I equipped all my high gain presets with "your" gate. Sounds great here at home. We'll see how it works under live conditions tonight. :mrgreen:

*thumbs up*

Micha

How about a recommendation for those of us using the Standard.....I get a large amount of noise, almost sounds like i'm using single coils even though i'm not...

nhgtrman said:
How about a recommendation for those of us using the Standard.....I get a large amount of noise, almost sounds like i'm using single coils even though i'm not...

Don't know, I'm not getting that. Sure you don't have a ground loop?

on my highest gain patches (for things like Zak Wylde and Killswitch engage) I have my gate almost at nothing and get no noise or only a teeny bit. My Pups are EVO2 and Breed neck.

Back
Top Bottom