Anyone ever "satinize" their guitar's neck?

I used Scotch Brite on a particularly stick PRS SE. After 4 years, the neck became progressively more sticky rather than the poly wearing down.

The Scotch Brite gave it a satiny frosted glass like finish that is quite comfortable.

Thanks for all the tips! It is a nitrocellulose finish. I’m trying to decide between the #0000 steel wool, micro mesh pads or gray scotch brite pads (600 grit). Any thoughts on those three options?

Thanks for all the tips! It is a nitrocellulose finish. I’m trying to decide between the #0000 steel wool, micro mesh pads or gray scotch brite pads (600 grit). Any thoughts on those three options?
With the availability of synthetic steel wool, I would stay away from the 'real' stuff. As has been pointed out, without taping off areas it will stick to pickups and get into areas, not to mention metal splinters. The #0000 and #000 I mentioned earlier are the synthetic pads, the 600 grit would be my recommendation.

With the availability of synthetic steel wool, I would stay away from the 'real' stuff. As has been pointed out, without taping off areas it will stick to pickups and get into areas, not to mention metal splinters...

...Back in the day, one of the things we used in cabinet making after laying down a final coat of French Polish, was to use Cabinet Wax and a fine steel wool to flatten the finish. One of the properties of that wax was that it acted as a lubricant and prevented steel dust and splinters embedding into a softer finish - it gives the final finish a really nice low luster silk look and feel.

Now.. heh .. ;) ...I Wouldn't recommend using cabinet wax on a guitar or neck, as that stuff can react with softer nitro finishes.

....but ...you can most likely use petroleum jelly on steel wool and it does roughly the same thing. It prevents steel wool from shedding, it lubricates so prevents abrading softer finishes, and petroleum jelly is safer on most finishes. ...These days, when it comes to finishing woodwork, I use petroleum jelly and steel wool over cabinet wax 9 times out of ten, let me put it that way. :)

Last edited:
I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on the back of my gloss necks. I also use hand sanitizer to keep my hands clean, dry and less clammy.

I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on the back of my gloss necks. I also use hand sanitizer to keep my hands clean, dry and less clammy.

Hadn't tried a Magic Eraser before. That sounds promising. I've used rubbing alcohol for years to clean the stickiness from my hands and help keep them dry. I also use it to wipe down the strings, neck, and fingerboard after each gig or rehearsal. The higher percentage of alcohol, the better. I found some 90% a while back and it's great. I avoid anything lower than about 70% alcohol.

I sanitize mine with 120 grit, gloss to satin in 5 minutes, rub the gloss dust into the rosewood for some cool fretboard grain contrast

Yeah, not being a very good speller, I too accidentally satanized my guitar.

Now I'm afraid to go near the damned thing.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Axcess Custom that the neck can get quite "sticky". I keep it very, very clean so there is no residue build up on it. Wash my hands before playing also. But the high gloss finish just seems to have a very high degree of friction. Has anyone ever used a grey Scotch Brite pad or 600 grit paper to knock the gloss off of the neck? Does that help? It is to the point where I am considering parting ways with it although I really don't want to. But it can be quite annoying when playing.
Very easy to do, but tape off neck for start and stop points. Clean after with lemon oil. Fast and easy.

Back
Top Bottom