Anybody using the II with 4 cable method, I tried it tonight

Hum and hiss are two separate and completely different issues with the 4cm. A hum eliminator will not get rid of the hiss if you are playing a high gain amp.

Well i ordered the ebtech hum eliminator he-2 to see if it helps at all with my ultra and the 4 cable method, and if it doesnt im sure it will find its way into my pa system in my basement somewhere.

I took out my $18 Berringher Hum eliminator box out and put it in front of the fxreturn and completely quiet.

This must be a different noise issue though. The infamous hiss problem with Output 2 is a noise floor thing, over which no hum eliminator has powerz! It becomes an issue when sending low level signals out of Output 2 (e.g. unamplified pickup signal sent to front of guitar amp).

If the transformer in the hum eliminator rolls off above 20 kHz, there is a slight chance it will improve the hiss to some extent if connected to Output 2, as it may remove some of the ultrasonic junk coming out of Output 2. Perhaps not. It's worth a try if you have one.

Yes, exact same hiss issue here with my Bogner XTC 20th Anniv .....

I use the Ecstasy 20th Anniversary in 4CM with the Axe II. It is beautiful. Perhaps it's because I also use a Decimator Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor. It has two noise suppression circuits, one for before the preamp, and one for in the loop. It is the best sound I've ever achieved, and I also stopped bringing the Bogner cabinet to shows; I just use the speaker sims, and seriously, it is awesome.

Of course, that doesn't help with your loss of tone problem that you mentioned. I haven't noticed any real loss of tone. If you'd like to chat more, perhaps I can help. Let me know and I'll give you more details on how I have it set up.

I have a 101B Bogner Ecstasy Head & 4 x 12 Cab, haven't tried it yet, BUT, I hope it works. Bogners have great FX Loops so if it doesn't work on this amp, what the hell amp will it work on? I'll admit I haven't read what the 4CM is yet, but I wanted to try my 2 day old AFX II on the Bogner to see how it sounds. Im sure some guy has a XTC and tried it? Anyone?

Its a Mesa Electra Dyne.

That is one baddass amp!

I have tried the 4CM method with a few amps.

Got it to sound good but there was always atleast a little white noise.

I the end I found if I was going to use a tube amp, just going straight into the effects return would sound better then any other thing I could come up with.

When I had my Electra Dyne, I found using the Citrus (Rockerverb) pre into the electradyne return gave me the Electra Dyne style sound with none of the white noise.

I run the 4CM method with the Bogner Goldfinger 45. No issues. I do use the humbuster cables from Bestronics. I have to say I love this set up. I finally went to my amp with the AXE FX for my effects instead of my pedal board. I've always used the effects loop for my modulation, delay, reverb so it was natural to try it. I spent time in the studio getting the right input parameters and output parameters (pad). I also only set my Output 1/2 knobs to about 12:00 o'clock. Good luck! I also have to agree on the Mesas. I played a Roadster for years and had problems with hums, pops, etc with different effects. For instance, I tried a Red Witch delay and it created problems in the loop. Went to a T-Rex Replica and it worked and sounded great. Go figure!

So, the Ebtech Hum X hum eliminator did nothing for me. I decided to get the ART clean box and it worked as advertised. Took the 1/4" out from output 2 on the Axe II to the input of the clean box, then out of that into the input of my jcm800 and there it was.....4CM silence! So nice.

ART Clean Box II Hum Eliminator

Ok- so at bedroom volumes, the 4cm works great. Any increase, and the hiss is unusable. The hiss is definitely from the Axe II FX loop block. Insert the axe in the amps loop- no noise. Divide the Axe in 4cm, the noise police put out a warrant for your arrest. Are you telling me the ART Cleanbox will resolve this? Where do you connect it in the signal chain?

As mentioned above....for ground loop issues this...should help

Ebtech 2-Channel Hum Eliminator | GuitarCenter

I always had issue with the Mesas parallel loops not playing nicely with effects racks. I went through a lot of trouble trying to eliminate these same issues when I had a TC Gsystem. Amps with a true serial effects loop usually play nicely using 4CM.

I use a Splawn Quickrod that has a serial loop and have no issues and totally silent using 4CM.

Parallel vs. Serial effects loops is usually the culprit along with the send/return being to hot of an output. Mesa is known for that.

Last edited:
Ok- so at bedroom volumes, the 4cm works great. Any increase, and the hiss is unusable. The hiss is definitely from the Axe II FX loop block. Insert the axe in the amps loop- no noise. Divide the Axe in 4cm, the noise police put out a warrant for your arrest. Are you telling me the ART Cleanbox will resolve this? Where do you connect it in the signal chain?

Just get the Output 2 mod and you will eliminate all the hiss

I contacted fractal support- because I have a Mark II Axe II, the output 2 mod isn't needed....

If that's the case then you shouldn't be getting any hiss. Has Fractal Support confirmed that all Mark II units already have the mod done so that this output is no longer wideband?

Laskyman, i'm sure you have already, but did you try running guitar into Axe Input 1 then Axe Output 1 directly into the front end of your amp? If that doesn't give you hiss, then the problem is Output 2. If that does give you hiss, then it must be another issue. Furthermore, after the mod, Output 2 actually has less hiss than Output 1.

Laskyman, i'm sure you have already, but did you try running guitar into Axe Input 1 then Axe Output 1 directly into the front end of your amp? If that doesn't give you hiss, then the problem is Output 2. If that does give you hiss, then it must be another issue. Furthermore, after the mod, Output 2 actually has less hiss than Output 1.

I haven't done that- I have only hooked up via the 4cm and in the effect loop. There is a Huge difference in noise between the two, with the 4cm being VERY hissy. Take out the fx loop and put the axe in the loop of the Mark V, no noise.

I really want to be able to use the 4cm as I prefer comp, wah, drive and phaser up front before the preamp......I don't want to build a "pedalboard" for the Mark...

Back
Top Bottom