Anybody popped the hood on an AX8?

Maybe the knobs are super easy to replace. Could someone please take a look (and send pictures)?!
The thing is, even if the knob is super-easy to replace (who's heard of super-easy-to-replace electronic components? ), if it fails because you stomped on it, it's probably going to fail at a gig. How super-easy will it be to stop the gig, reach for your bag of spare electronic parts (you have a bag like that, right? ) dismantle your pedal, and perform surgery on it?

If you're dead-set on removing built-in protection and voiding your warranty, a Dremel will make short work of that protection bar.

Last edited:
How super-easy will it be to stop the gig, reach for your bag of spare electronic parts (you have a bag like that, right? ) dismantle your pedal, and perform surgery on it?

I was just trying to lure someone into opening the case because i'm so curious about what the inside of this device looks like! So to be completely transparent, PLEASE DO NOT open your AX8 unless Cliff or Joe or somebody says it's OK and that doing so won't void your warranty and they say it is very easy to close back up without pinching a ribbon cable, etc. Or, if you're "self insured" and can afford the time and cost of another AX8 while yours is being put back together by FAS.

Story: I had couple of different hard drives fail in a full size case desk top computer. Ended up replacing them myself and found out I kind of liked doing it myself. Sometime after that experience I had a mother board fail on a laptop. I thought if just got a replacement motherboard, I could fix it like I did my desktop. Luckily I opened the laptop before I bought a new motherboard because I discovered that the inside of a laptop is nothing like the inside of a desktop as far as packaging goes. I was amazed at how every bit of volume was used and how the shapes of the components were modified to make use of what little open space there was.

The feel (weight) of my AX8 is more dense than rack gear ( I don't have an AXE) but not quite as dense as a laptop. Hence, my curiosity.

Can the handle be removed? I find it gets in the way from using the top level of footswitches.

Chris J, Maybe you could fasten some chapstick tubes to end of the footswitches 5-8 to help you avoid the rollbar! Or maybe the guy who makes the fancy magnetic labels could inject something for those that are having the same issue (please don't forget me on the patent!).

Last edited:
I keep coming into this thread to see if someone actually takes their's apart.

Yeah, I won't be doing that. I did take the screws out so I could remove the feet, and add Velcro.

first thing I did to my ultra way back when was take it apart.

I've seen posts from FAS regarding their rack units that say, "if your comfortable with sort of thing, look inside for loose ribbon cables", etc. Maybe on the MFC or FX, it just hasn't come up. Anybody ever seen FAS recommend cracking open a MFC or FX?

I was always taught that it is bad mojo to let the the magic smoke out of a circuit. It just won't work if you do. I fear removing the top may invite magic smoke loss. I'm keeping the good mojo locked inside.

Chris J, Maybe you could fasten some chapstick tubes to end of the footswitches 5-8 to help you avoid the rollbar! Or maybe the guy who makes the fancy magnetic labels could inject something for those that are having the same issue (please don't forget me on the patent!).

Good idea, but I wonder if it would be a little awkward to press a foot switch button 3 inches off the base. I suspect the handle is screwed to the to and could be removed, just not sure if a PCB is in the way.

Good idea, but I wonder if it would be a little awkward to press a foot switch button 3 inches off the base. I suspect the handle is screwed to the to and could be removed, just not sure if a PCB is in the way.
I don't know what's under there, but if it just screwed in you might be able to screw something shorter (a wood block or threaded piece of bar aluminum) and get closer. The bar is quite a bit above the knobs closest to it.

It took a minute to get used to but doesn't bother me now.

I was always taught that it is bad mojo to let the the magic smoke out of a circuit. It just won't work if you do. I fear removing the top may invite magic smoke loss. I'm keeping the good mojo locked inside.

That's why you remove the bottom!

Maybe someone that bought his on eBay can help you. They won't have any remorse about the warranty.

(I opened my AmpliFire :p )

Pictures please! Will be great to have comparisons abailable here for when I or someone else with an AX8 grow a pair! Ha.
I will post them in Off Topics when I get home. Promised.

Hopefully it won't trigger any hate reaction from the Inquisition if we open a single thread and talk softly :D

My guess is a loose screw. Open it up and

Ah ha! A little closer to an AX8.

When ever I pick up my MFC, I can hear something moving around inside- sounds like a nut or small bolt or something-
is it safe to open up and take a peek? I hate that I hear it everytime...what do you say? I just don't want to take it apart and ruin it......

Please advise-

Laskyman, if you do open up your MFC, could you please take some pictures of the inside and post them for all to see? Thanks.

It was quite nice. Very simply & thoughtfully put together, very clean. I didn't take anything off the top panel, so I didn't see the underside of the switches or the kick bar. I was only concerned with the bottom board & didn't pull off more than I needed to.

Pictures will come if I'm allowed I guess...I feel like the common courtesy here would be to let Cliff decide if pictures of the internals should get blasted on the board or anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom