Anybody on a diet?

My wife and I have been eating healthy for many years - organic whenever possible, low carb, fair amount of fats, a lot of veggies and lean protein, little to no sugar. And I'm fairly active - mt biking and hiking in the summer, skiing in the winter (although that doesn't really burn many cals) but still couldn't lose the extra 15 lbs. So she recently got me to try the Leptin diet, the essence of which is to eat 3 meals, 5 hours apart or so, and don't snack in between (I *love* to snack ;-) ... it wasn't hard to switch. We'll see how it goes!

I lost 50 pounds about 5 years ago and have maintained it since. No specific diet. I lust logged what I was eating on myfitnesspal.com and stuck to the goals I set. I stopped drinking soda, and stopped eating cheese. I’m from Wisconsin, so cheese is on everything. I had already stopped drinking alcohol 3 years prior to that. I also don’t eat fast food.

I ride an exercise bike about 30 minutes a day. I’ll do this when I watch TV or check email. I have a stand with my laptop that allows me to use the computer while I ride the bike. I figure if I’m sitting anyway for a while, I may as well be pedaling.

Since I dropped the weight, I no longer need high blood pressure medication. I also no longer have feet or back problems. There was a list of things the doctor was keeping an eye on, and it’s all gone. No real magic to it, really. Eat proper portions, don’t drink your calories, and exercise. I feel great. The only problem now is I don’t get enough sleep, and that’s intentional. I just like staying up and getting things done. But I know it would be healthier to get a full nights sleep.

I do Intermittent Fasting (IF), combined with nutritional timing, meaning I delay my carbohydrate intake for the day until post workout. Although I do workout regularly (3 days a week), I believe that IF is beneficial even for those of us that don't work out.

At first IF is a bit difficult, but in time the body gets used to it, and Ghrelin (the hormone that makes us hungry) cycles with the new eating patterns. The effects of low blood sugar that we get from eating as often as we do are more of a withdrawal symptom than a real issue (hyperglycemic and hypoglycemic people aside).

The problem with eating regularly is that Lipase, the pancreatic enzyme that breaks down fat, is directly affected by insulin in the bloodstream, meaning, if our insulin level is at a certain level, we cannot 'burn' fat as an energy source. Consequently, we can carry extra fat, and still feel like we have low energy at the tail end of the insulin levels coming down. So, we end up eating again, for energy. And the cycle continues. Here we have this energy in the form of fat, but cannot use it as long as insulin is at a certain level.

For me, IF has actually been the first time in my life that I've actually started to achieve results that I always wanted and never got before, namely being leaner AND continuing to gain muscle. Fasting is different than long term caloric deficits (aka "diets", which causes the body to start to burn not only fat, but muscle as well). Additionally, IF actually increases metabolism, as well as increases human growth hormone and testosterone. It's also reported to increase cognitive focus, which I find to be true for myself.

I also have to say that personally I find fasting easier than doing reduced portions per meal.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that it's imperative to consume enough water when fasting - to actually increase one's water intake. Fasting (as with any more rapid weight loss) can cause an increase in uric acid in the system, which requires ADDITIONAL water intake to flush. Without the increase in hydration, typical uric acid / gout-like symptoms can result.

Anyway, I strongly suggest anyone who's interested in IF to do their own research, AND to consult their physician first, because we are all different (despite being human) and what works for some can be detrimental to others.

Last edited:
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

was wondering why the seafood diet hasn't shown up yet!
Did someone say "chicken dinner"? ;)

I do Intermittent Fasting (IF), combined with nutritional timing, meaning I delay my carbohydrate intake for the day until post workout. Although I do workout regularly (3 days a week), I believe that IF is beneficial even for those of us that don't work out.

At first IF is a bit difficult, but in time the body gets used to it, and Ghrelin (the hormone that makes us hungry) cycles with the new eating patterns. The effects of low blood sugar that we get from eating as often as we do are more of a withdrawal symptom than a real issue (hyperglycemic and hypoglycemic people aside).

The problem with eating regularly is that Lipase, the pancreatic enzyme that breaks down fat, is directly affected by insulin in the bloodstream, meaning, if our insulin level is at a certain level, we cannot 'burn' fat as an energy source. Consequently, we can carry extra fat, and still feel like we have low energy at the tail end of the insulin levels coming down. So, we end up eating again, for energy. And the cycle continues. Here we have this energy in the form of fat, but cannot use it as long as insulin is at a certain level.

For me, IF has actually been the first time in my life that I've actually started to achieve results that I always wanted and never got before, namely being leaner AND continuing to gain muscle. Fasting is different than long term caloric deficits (aka "diets", which causes the body to start to burn not only fat, but muscle as well). Additionally, IF actually increases metabolism, as well as increases human growth hormone and testosterone. It's also reported to increase cognitive focus, which I find to be true for myself.

I also have to say that personally I find fasting easier than doing reduced portions per meal.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that it's imperative to consume enough water when fasting - to actually increase one's water intake. Fasting (as with any more rapid weight loss) can cause an increase in uric acid in the system, which requires ADDITIONAL water intake to flush. Without the increase in hydration, typical uric acid / gout-like symptoms can result.

Anyway, I strongly suggest anyone who's interested in IF to do their own research, AND to consult their physician first, because we are all different (despite being human) and what works for some can be detrimental to others.
I do IF along with Keto...I usually do a 16-8 or even 20-4. Hardest thing for me is overcoming the post workout craving for something, especially when I was doing marathon training along with my regular workouts.

It's Nashville Hot Chicken....something very unique to my hometown. It's amazing, and the hottest will end you in the best way possible. My first stop anytime I'm home....
Probably to spicy for me... But if I ever end up in Nashville area I'll give it a shot!

Well this thread has taken a non diet turn lol, Hope the chicken din't cause anyone to fall off the wagon...

It's always fun to see how they go!

Went to a Naturopath about a month ago as I was feeling that I was too overweight based on what I was eating and how much exercise I was doing. She did some tests and that figured out that I have high intolerance to dairy, moderate intolerance to eggs, corn and yeast and mild intolerance to wheat, cashews and almonds. So now I’m on a 3 month elimination diet where I can’t have any of that. At least I can still have some nice wine! :)

I do IF along with Keto...I usually do a 16-8 or even 20-4. Hardest thing for me is overcoming the post workout craving for something, especially when I was doing marathon training along with my regular workouts.

Nice. Yeah, I usually do 19-5 or 20-4, but even 16-8 works well for me. Holidays I do 16-8.

Regarding post workout cravings - I actually indulge in stuff more now with IF than I did without it. I've found that once I got to a certain % bodyfat level, I could maintain that level with IF, even if I ate stuff that most would consider not 'diet-friendly' :)

Once the spring hits, I'll be a bit stricter with what I eat, and re-introduce cardio back into my weekly routine. I used to run 25 to 30 miles a week, and with IF, I've found that I actually am leaner now, without cardio, than when I was eating 'normally' and running regularly. I'm likely to do away with the extended running and do more HIIT and LISS cardio.

But man, with IF, I actually have abs now. The only time I've ever been able to achieve having abs in the past required going super low caloric intake and I looked terrible - emaciated, and lost a lot of muscle mass. I'm carrying more muscle mass now than a year ago, and way leaner than a year ago. Love it.

Kind of, although I'm not exactly trying to lose weight, though I should be! LOL. I'm loosely doing the paleo. Loosely the Bullet Proof diet. Intermittent fasting. I stop eating by 9 PM and don't eat again until noon the next day. I FEEL great.

Back
Top Bottom