Anybody on a diet?

Yes, though I don't really know what to call it. 3 meals a day with strict portion control, eliminated processed carbs, counting macros. Also doing CrossFit 4-5 days a week. Down 25 lbs in the past year, which isn't super fast but seems to be sustainable, and I feel incredible. But sore. ;)

No, but I really need to be. My doctor (Naturopath) recommended the Whole 30, which is similar in some concepts to paleo. Anti-inflammatory diet plan. I was on it for a while, and I know it makes a big difference in my arthritis pain in my hip, but I just haven't been able to get back into it. Also lost about 15-20 when I was on it.

Subscribing to the thread in hopes I'll get inspired to get back on it.

No, but I really need to be. My doctor (Naturopath) recommended the Whole 30, which is similar in some concepts to paleo. Anti-inflammatory diet plan. I was on it for a while, and I know it makes a big difference in my arthritis pain in my hip, but I just haven't been able to get back into it. Also lost about 15-20 when I was on it.

Subscribing to the thread in hopes I'll get inspired to get back on it.

I just had to look at my gut in the mirror to get inspired lol...

So I've cleaned my diet up around 75%. I still have some sweets but I've cut out pop/soda, beer, bread/grains and dairy...
Speaking of "flammatory"... I was eating hot/spicy food and I developed GERD after one particular battle with some REALLY HOTTTTTT Chicken, burned my freakin throat it was BAD... so cleaning things up has helped there as well

~SS

I've been on a seefood diet all of my life...getting at that age where I need to change that approach :)

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

was wondering why the seafood diet hasn't shown up yet!

I have been on a strict diet since age 39 (diagnosed with diabetes). It was horrible at first, but after all these years, it just seems normal to me. I don't exercise enough so I'm getting a bit soft, but no dunlap belly yet. I'll confess to an extreme weakness for the Krispy squares that rarely come from Mrs. Geeze's kitchen. Pardon me while I go wipe the drool off my keyboard...

I have been on a strict diet since age 39 (diagnosed with diabetes). It was horrible at first, but after all these years, it just seems normal to me.
That’s the real secret: establishing new habits. That changes everything.

“Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed down-stairs one step at a time.” — Mark Twain

I have been on a strict diet since age 39 (diagnosed with diabetes). It was horrible at first, but after all these years, it just seems normal to me. I don't exercise enough so I'm getting a bit soft, but no dunlap belly yet. I'll confess to an extreme weakness for the Krispy squares that rarely come from Mrs. Geeze's kitchen. Pardon me while I go wipe the drool off my keyboard...
It takes a of of discipline, but I'm sure it helps minimize the medication and effects of diabetes. I moved back up to my hometown of Oregon a year and a half ago to take care of my mom who is 79 and has diabetes and other health concerns. At her age she is not highly motivated to make drastic diet changes, but we try to eat better than she used to. Still need improvement. I know when I was on that Whole 30 plan she ate better too and I think it helped her feel a little better.

At the prompting of my wife, we explored the Ketogenic diet (Keto) 1 year ago. A simple explanation is the elimination of sugar (starch, carbs, alcohol...) and an increased diet of "good fats" and vegetables. My initial response to her request was that it was internet crap. At the same time, I heard about Tom Brady's strict diet. I'm not sure what that diet is but I joined my wife with a Keto diet.

Previously, we exercised regularly for years and watched the numbers on the scale and waist increase. After one year of following the diet, I lost 30 lbs and my wife lost 25. I truly believe weight control is 90% how you eat and 10% exercise. The hardest part was overcoming the addiction to sugar. That took less than 2 weeks. Otherwise, Its the easiest thing I've ever done.

The WHEAT BELLY book was also enlightening ( Amazon product ASIN 1609614798).

By reducing sugars & grains (and thus Insulin levels), you reduce inflammation within the body. The source of most ailments. And, the sugar you eat that is not burned is stored as fat. In my case, I lost 30 lbs, my seasonal allergies of 30 years disappeared, I have more energy, I feel better....

A couple of co-workers adopted the diet with the same results.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/lowcarbdownunder/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123/videos

I'm gaining what I've learned is called sympathy weight... gained like 20 lbs in the last 5 months. I grew up as a chubby kid, and lost the weight by nerding out on diet/exercise since college. Not fun to be somewhat chubby again :dizzy:

For those contemplating the keto diet, actual ketosis is hard to obtain. You have to calculate out your macro intake each day pretty bang on (~70% of calories in fat), and regularly have to check your ketone levels to make sure you're actually in ketosis (finger blood pricks, gets expensive). Semi-following the ketogenic diet will be detrimental to your health, which is why I don't like many of the popularized recommendations for following it -- proper adherence rate is very low.

Slow-carb is a lot easier to follow, no potential detrimental effects, and adherence rate is much higher. That's what I'd recommend to most people.

I can't seem to have any resolve about food with my wife pregnant, dunno why :p Diet time after the baby is born! Hopefully.

I did the Slow Carb diet a while back and these were the results, with no exercise to help out, btw:

month 1: -20 lbs
month 2: -12 lbs
month 3: -6 lbs

It was awesome and I kept the weight off for several years. I'm starting to gain it back, thinking about doing it again. I actually liked the diet, too. My energy levels were fairly high and even through the whole day and every Saturday cheat day felt like Christmas. The first two weeks suuuuuuucked though.

Back
Top Bottom