Any wireless users out there?

I am using Shure GLXD14 and GLXD14R and never had problems. Both units have 2 antennas and that seems to be the key.

Same. My GLXD14 is the best wireless I've owned. I can go anywhere in the auditorium I normally play in, dropout free. And it's riddled with wireless access points and other Shure wireless transmitters and receivers including 4 wireless mics, another guitar wireless, and 2 wireless IEMs. Zero interference. There definitely is a backup cable in my rack drawer but that's just in case of battery dying. And I'm not sure how that would ever happen given the battery life of about 16 hours and the fact that I have a charged spare at the ready.

Contrasted with the 3 different Line6 wireless units I've had, which wouldn't let me go more than 15 feet without dropping out or having static interference in that venue.

I use a Shure GLXD16 and if you want to venture out into the crowd more than 30 feet you are in trouble.

If you plan on doing this, place your receiver on top of your rig and maintain a clear line of sight between it and your transmitter pack.

Do not place it on the floor or on your pedalboard if you fancy crowdsurfin' as you will soon experience dropouts!!

Place it as high up in your rig as you can.

I use a Shure GLXD16 and if you want to venture out into the crowd more than 30 feet you are in trouble.

If you plan on doing this, place your receiver on top of your rig and maintain a clear line of sight between it and your transmitter pack.

Do not place it on the floor or on your pedalboard if you fancy crowdsurfin' as you will soon experience dropouts!!

Place it as high up in your rig as you can.
That's why GLXD14 is better with 2 antennas and rack installation.

I have been using Line 6 G10, and did have some trouble with it when playing in a full of people Arena. And did have some drop outs in a few random small shows... Looking for a device and solutions that would be rock solid, no matter what the environment is, as long as I am fairly close to the receiver.
Help a bro out?
Here's my thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wireless-stuff.152030/
Line6 G10 works in the 2.4 GHz range.

The 2.4 GHz range ist heavily overcrowded. Relating to this, please, see my earlier post in this thread, too.
Therefore I decided to strictly avoid this frequency range.

Instead I use 2 sets of transmitter/receiver in the 5.8 GHz range, connected to 2 inputs of AXE FX III, planning to extend to 4 sets (I change instruments frequentlly during a show).
The 5.8 GHz frequency range is - in my country - almost empty, at least very uncrowded. So I never had any problems at all.

The devices I use is "Stageclix Jack V4 5.8 GHz". I am very satisfied with. Information can be found here. Enjoy.

https://www.stageclixusa.com/

GLXD14 here... rock solid never dropped out. Had 3 bands in a row use my wireless, didn't even ding the battery. It's one thing I never have to worry about at a gig, do i have a battery, is there interference etc. I've owned a lot of them over the years. Will be the last one I use until i retire from playing live, unless it dies of course.

Shure GLXD16 works in the 2.4 GHz range.

The number of devices which can be driven in this range simultanously without interferencies is very limited, due to the small 2.4 GHz frequemcy range. For example, precisely four (no kidding: four !) 2.4 GHz WLAN access points can be working simultanously without interfering the others. Each more device causes interferencies. That fact is widely unknown and/or underestimated.

Usually, in the overcrowded 2.4 GHz range there are a lot of disturbing devices around you, anytime, anywhere, any number. And certainly you cannot get rid of the disturbing sources at all, simply because usually they are not yours.

So, what's most important at this point is to keep the ratio between the signal strength in the route between your transmitter and receiver up in comparence to the signal strength of the disturbing devices.

Simply said, the more distance between your transmitter and receiver, the weaker your signal.
The weaker your signal, the more likely you'll get problems: cracklings, dropouts, whatsoever.

And by the way, I do so agree: a cable "just in case" is always a perfect life insurance. ;)

THIS. I know many have not had issues with the GLXD line, but I have had nothing but problems with mine. Purchased a GLXD14R "Advanced" system, and was stoked about a 17 hour battery life, but I always had dropout issues. Even standing right in front of my receiver, it would skip and dropout. I have also had latency issues with the GLXD, which were VERY noticible when using the pitch block. I have since switched to the QLXD and absolutely love it.

I have an old G50 that I’ve used for years now. Never had a single issue with it. No dropouts or crackling. No problems at all.

Decided to buy another for my Axe-Fx III rig and keep the old one on my AX8 pedalboard. I’ve had nothing but problems with dropouts with the new one. So much so I had to switch to a cable after 3 songs at my first gig with it at House of Blues a few months ago. Pissed me off. I researched all kinds of fixes for it and tried them and still continued to get bad dropouts. I’ve since shelved it and put the old one in my III rig and have had no issues since.

I just ordered the G90 and a 5 space rack for my III rig. Hoping for good results.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious based on reviews that for whatever reason, there's a high failure/bad-on-arrival with every digital wireless out there. For every person for whom it's been rock solid, there's someone else that has had nothing but problems even in non-congested situations.

I've had systems from Shure, Line6, BOSS go months without a single problem, only to have some weird problem at a rehearsal or gig where it's been fine in the past.

I have an old G50 that I’ve used for years now. Never had a single issue with it. No dropouts or crackling. No problems at all.

Decided to buy another for my Axe-Fx III rig and keep the old one on my AX8 pedalboard. I’ve had nothing but problems with dropouts with the new one. So much so I had to switch to a cable after 3 songs at my first gig with it at House of Blues a few months ago. Pissed me off. I researched all kinds of fixes for it and tried them and still continued to get bad dropouts. I’ve since shelved it and put the old one in my III rig and have had no issues since.

I just ordered the G90 and a 5 space rack for my III rig. Hoping for good results.
Bummer. If you get a chance, swap the antennas between units, and see whether the problem follows the antennas.

I've been Using the G50,G90 for years with no issues, even both receivers at the same with one transmitter time.
Are you using the same transmitter with both units?

I've been Using the G50,G90 for years with no issues, even both receivers at the same with one transmitter time.
Are you using the same transmitter with both units?
Yes. My old G50 unit works fine. Bought it years ago when they first came out. Never had a single issue with it.
The new one though? It’s garbage. I tried setting it to R1 mode, I use the old transmitter with it and it still has bad issues with dropouts. I’ve shelved it and gonna use the old one for now. I actually just bought a used G90 and going to use it in my III rig. Should be here early next week. Hoping it works as well as my old one.

@hippietim just sold my Shure GLX D16 thanks for the heads up on the Sennhieser rig. Arrives tomorrow.
To much interference with my Shure
You have to use group 4 for single user system. It's default set for a multiple user system. Also, don't put it by a wireless router or keep a cell phone with wifi ON in your pocket or near the receiver.

Wireless devices in the 2.4 GHz range may work well in a given venue and can be very cumbersome another time in the same venue or in another.

Technically, the problem is due to the very narrow limitations of the 2.4 GHz range (details I mentioned earlier in this thread).

Mentally, the problem is, that 2.4 GHz devices are relatively cheap, extensively marketed and require no registrations.
And precisely these facts are an inherent part of the problem, resulting in the widespread use and, thus, very heavy overcrowding in this range.

You have to see clearly, that there is absolutely no guarantee of an undisturbed use of a 2.4 GHz wireless transmission. Nowhere. Never.

The promises of the device manufacturers concerning the technical features of their goods are usually related to disturbance-free environments.
They have nothing in common with real-life environments. Therefore the high-level promises are sometimes more or less a bit of voodoo, not real life.

Certainly, 2.4 GHz device may work everywhere without problems and often they do ..... or they do not .....
The real problem is, you cannot foresee.

IMO, to be on the safe side of playing life there is only one solution:
to avoid the 2.4 GHz frequency range.

I know, this is an uncomfortable advice and - maybe, if ever - a little bit more expensive.
But it is cumberfree .....

It's your decision.

@Fredneck yup group 4, used it for 4 years. Router on 5ghz which helped, Cell away from it ect. Still got interference from bassist wireless rig
Psyched to not have the metal body pack clanking my 3g axes too

Back
Top Bottom