Wireless stuff!

Clockwork Creep

Power User
Hey there.
So, I've got this idea to build a pedalboard, that includes a fractal FM3, a wireless IEM transmitter and perhaps one or two guitar wireless receivers. Maybe even a wireless system to transmit my guitar signal to a GT1000FX+Cab on stage?...

My IEM transmitter:
https://www.thomannmusic.com/ld_systems_mei_1000_g2_bundle.htm

Guitar wirelesses I'm looking into (Is this a good choice?):
https://www.thomann.de/intl/lt/stageclix_jack_v4.htm

Thinking... Would there be any interference between the devices not letting them work at full potential if they are right next to each other?
I currently have a Line 6 G10 and tried to use it in an arena. It was full of wireless devices (lights and microphones, IEM) and full of people with smartphones. G10 totally crapped out on me (1 second of signal, 2 seconds of silence). Don't want to experience anything like that ever again. What I want is a rock solid connection, no matter what environment I'm in. I will be close to the pedalboard most of the time.

Maybe it's a good idea to, instead of having multiple antennas sticking out, just have one? If so, how? Does that work better?
Howbout a directional antenna on a stand, such as this?:
https://www.thomann.de/intl/lt/sennheiser_a2003_uhf_richtantenne.htm
Overkill? Not good enough? Good idea? Bad idea? I have no idea. So yeah, I really don't know much about this stuff.
Any tips and recommendations are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious why you would put an IEM transmitter on your pedal board? Also, why would you need a dual transmitter?

Curious why you would put an IEM transmitter on your pedal board? Also, why would you need a dual transmitter?

I currently keep the transmitter in my rack case. Since I'm scrapping my Axe FX 2 rig for an FM3 rig, I'll move it to the pedalboard. It's just nice when the whole rig is all put together, and connected, so we don't forget anything...

We are a three man band. I (the vocalist and guitarist) and the Bassist stand at the front, with IEM, therefore we have two receivers. We usually listen to the same monitor signal too. That just works for us. We can also each have our own mono monitors from the same transmitter, as there are two mono XLR inputs/outputs on the transmitter. But really, we are trying to keep it as simple as we can.
Easy part for the sound engineer- Since stages usually have a front floor monitor that we don't use, he/she could just unplug the cable from there and plug it into the pedalboard.

Easy part for the sound engineer- Since stages usually have a front floor monitor that we don't use, he/she could just unplug the cable from there and plug it into the pedalboard.
Assuming they use powered monitors...

I think you are asking for trouble having all that together.
Try and aim to have send/receive antennas more than 4-5' apart.
Also think about frequency coordination between all devices in the area (avoid 2.4GHz if you can).

I don't know the venues you play either, but I like to avoid having too much gear at the front of the stage.

I think plan for an iem rack that lives side of stage and put guitar receiver on pedal board.
Stick with a cable for your amp.
Consider moving to another frequency band to avoid dropouts.

You've already experienced wireless killing your performance, now it's time to try some best practises to avoid it happening again

Back
Top Bottom