Any Standard users wish they would have gotten the Ultra

cdstrings said:
zentman said:
If you have a Standard and you do the 2 amp thing and run out of effects, run another processor in the effects loop. The effects might not be as good as the Axe but for a quick delay or flange nobody will know or care.

I see you get teased a little on the other forums, do you have any regrets Zent?

Not because I would actually be using the extra stuff but because I am afraid the Standard will get left behind once Cliff runs out of room for code. So yes.

I bought a Standard and upgraded to the Ultra for two reasons.

1. I like to have live patches in "stompbox mode" where I have a solid clean, crunch, overdrive and heavy patch, and then switch effects on and off with a foot controller. Having a large number of effects switchable in the chain is good for me.

2. I decided I could get enough good "pad" sounds out of the AxeFx (either Standard or Ultra) that I could eliminate midi guitar for live, but the Ultra gives me mono lead voices from the synth module. Tracking is very very good, but it is mono (think Pat Metheny GR-300 solos).

Interesting fact... when I upgraded to the Ultra, customer support told me that about 25% of the people who buy Standards upgrade to the Ultra immediately.

BTW, I'm very happy I moved up to the Ultra. Standard is great, but the Ultra was better for me.

I'm wandering if something like the Boss VF1 in the loop may bring me something I'm missing, specially regarding custom scales. Used, it can be found for cheap prices. But will the quality be enough ? Anyone experienced something like a Boss multifx in the Axe loop ? :oops: will it kill dynamics ?

got the standard june '08, and still no plans to go ultra. wanted the thing for the amp models (which are the same on both units), not really for the effects. more than enough effects on the standard for me.
there are a few ultra things i'd like to play around with at home though, and that's why there's an incentive for me to buy Axe-PC when it comes out. With that, I'll get to try out all the ultra stuff - I assume.

cdstrings-

I have a Standard bro and love it. You know I live close to you so if you ever want to try one just contact me. I love the hell of the Standard. The extra 500 wasn't feasible at the time......I don't use a ton of effects but there have been times where I have exceeded the CPU's limit in certain patches with the harmonizer and running 2 amps at once etc.......it's not maybe 5% of a concern to me though.......the Standard does all that I need and more..... :cool:

And the guy who told you to sell your Mesa power amp is probably correct...........I have a 2:90 sitting here that's on loan from a friend but I haven't tried it but once or twice......I have a SS Randall power amp that sounds better to my ears.......

hideous said:
there are a few ultra things i'd like to play around with at home though, and that's why there's an incentive for me to buy Axe-PC when it comes out. With that, I'll get to try out all the ultra stuff - I assume.

That's kind of where I'm at.......I'm thinking Axe-PC perhaps too.......it would be awesome have that type of plug in...and just leave the Standard across the room integrated in my rig.....

Standard is fine for me and I use a LOT of effects. Only concern is a lot of effects with dual amp, but personally I don't use dual amp setups.

No regrets here for now, the additionnal effects weren't for me anyhow, not really an effects guy. I might if at some point the Standard becomes "too small" for next updates.

But even if it's the case I won't change : I prefer to start saving now for the next generation when it comes :mrgreen:

Sure, if I had another $400 extra, I probably would have.

But then, I barely use all the FX in the Standard now. I want the amp models, the pedals, and some juice as far as FX. Verb, chorus, and delay, with the occasional Vibe or Phaser.

So while I *might* have sprung for the Ultra, I don't need it at all. Nice to have, but not $400 nice.

Hi, I am very close to buy the Axe, but still not sure if I need the Ultra or not.
I don't really care about all the extra FX I am concerned about precessing power.

So with the Standard, could I safely run 2 amps setups with different delays like U2 / The Edge? I heard that complex amp and delay setups can be processors hungry. And I would hate to sacrify tone because of a lack or power...

nicoroy123 said:
Hi, I am very close to buy the Axe, but still not sure if I need the Ultra or not.
I don't really care about all the extra FX I am concerned about precessing power.

So with the Standard, could I safely run 2 amps setups with different delays like U2 / The Edge? I heard that complex amp and delay setups can be processors hungry. And I would hate to sacrify tone because of a lack or power...

You may be doing it tough dependending on how may other effects you run.

E.g. I have a patch which uses 1 x Comp, 2 x Amps, 2 x Cabs, 2 x Pan/Trem, 1 x Reverb & 1 X Delay & CPU% = 97.5

Just tested, 2 x amps, 2 x cabs & 2 x delays & CPU %= 86.3.

Damn that violin/cello patch is amazing-very musical....just when I was thinking my tube preamps would make an AXE Fx unnecessary.

voes said:
nicoroy123 said:
Thanks,
I am refering to that type of sounds...
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/streets.mp3
Don't know if it comes from a Standard or Ultra.

Any Standard owner could confirm that these patches can run properly?
I am not an fx freak this could make a difference....

IMO you can do that with a Standard easily

Yeah, I did it with my Standard. I've since purchased an Ultra, but Streets could be done with a Standard. Multiple amps suck up a lot of processor, but you don't need two amps to do Streets anyway.

I did it with a single amp block (Top Boost), but stereo cab (2x12 Brit) mic'd with SM-57's and two mono delay blocks after the cab. Worked great. Now doing the same thing on my Ultra.

Back
Top Bottom