Any Standard users wish they would have gotten the Ultra

cdstrings

Getting ready to take the plunge but kind of on the fence as to whether I should get the Standard or Ultra? Any Standard users with they would have gotten the Ultra instead? If so, why? Also, I would be running it with a Recto 2:100 and two G-Benz 2-12's. It seems a lot of people like to run it with a solid state poweramp. How will this poweramp pair with the Axe-Fx? Thanks!

Yes. But only because people write cool patches for the Ultra that I can't try. Realistically the Standard, for my own stuff, hasn't hit the wall yet. Wait: multi-band compression would be nice to have. That's an Ultra-only effect.

For what I actually USE.. Not even one regret going with standard.

For what I occasionally hear that would be sweet to do for entertainment.. Only if it sounds like a Violin.

There's a couple of posts about discussing this. If you're not a huge fx junkie or not too interested in running large dual amp paths with fx etc, the Standard will be fine. I currently run a Standard and it's awesome but I've got an Ultra coming to replace it. Once I got the AxeFX Standard, I no longer GASed for other amps, only the Ultra. Problem solved :)

So are the extra effects on the Ultra do they make it worth $500. Not really a big fx guy, but I would have fun with looper and arrpegiator here and there.

PlaysARobin said:
For what I actually USE.. Not even one regret going with standard.

For what I occasionally hear that would be sweet to do for entertainment.. .[/quOnly if it sounds like a Violinote]

I really like that violin tone!

cdstrings said:
can you run two amps at once with the Standard
Yes. But not with a LOT effects and/or crazy routing. But you can definitely run 2 amp setups, with delay and reverb.

I wish I could but the price difference was too big for me at the time... I miss the intelligent harmonizer custom scales, improved pitch shift, multiband compressor, looper

Not yet. Even my dual amp metal tone setup hasn't pushed it to the brink and I don't use much effects so the Standard should be plenty for me.

I would say the Standard would be fine for most guitarists. Oh and I forgot to mention, the 2:100 will be fine to power the AxeFx. I used to run the 2:90 before I sold it and got an SLA2. A good chance you'll do the same. Make some money off the Mesa and save your back! No regrets :mrgreen:

I decided to get the Standard, because I did not see any reason to shell out the extra €/$ for the Ultra and I still do. I hate any kind of modulation fx, reverb is added later in the mix and is of no use when playing live. I can run dual amp/cab setups including drive, EQ and the occasional delay with my Standard, so I am perfectly fine and I don't see that this will change in the future.

If I would be heavy into all kinds of weird FX setups, maybe the € 500,- extra would be a good investment as a multi-fx box would cost about the same if not more.

cdstrings said:
So are the extra effects on the Ultra do they make it worth $500. Not really a big fx guy, but I would have fun with looper and arrpegiator here and there.

I was in the same boat when I bought mine, the standard would work for most of what I do. If you bought the standard and never read this forum you'd think it was the best piece of gear ever. Here's how I rationalized it, I figure before the Axe FX I was a pedal junkie, always wanting to try something different, and I've spent almost as much on one pedal as the $500 difference between the standard and Ultra. I haven't bought a single pedal since becoming an Axe owner, and after a year of tweaking I still feel there's so much more to do that it's endless, not to mention the constant updates. The Axe has allowed me to try some effects that I'd never be willing to buy as a stand alone unit (Vocoder comes to mind). So the Axe has actually SAVED me money in the long run :mrgreen: (see how I talk myself into whatever I want to really do)

It'll probably cost you more to upgrade later and be a pain. If the money is not there and won't be for awhile, get the standard. If the Axe is only a small part of your system the standard could work. If you just can't see ever needing, or more likely wanting, more than the patches posted for the standard than it would work. But if you're like me and see the Axe as being a replacement for your entire system, then why not? Pay it once and your done and you'll never have to say "I wish" regarding a patch you can't use, or an effect you'd like to try out of curiosity. Go ahead. You deserve it.

I've been happy with the standard for a year now, doing pretty full linear single amp chains with 2 speaker cabs. But now I just started playing with 2 amps, I'm having to be very economical with my effects. I could see upgrading in the future, based on how big of an improvement I'm getting from 2 amps.

If you have a Standard and you do the 2 amp thing and run out of effects, run another processor in the effects loop. The effects might not be as good as the Axe but for a quick delay or flange nobody will know or care.

A related question

Perhaps the OP might also be interested to ask:

"Have any Standard users upgraded to an Ultra and wished they'd kept the Standard?"

Me. Not because I'm missing anything with the Standard, but because I like having all the toys.

Cliff has been very good about keeping Standard buyers happy in terms of update parity, so no regrets in that regard.

cdstrings said:
Getting ready to take the plunge but kind of on the fence as to whether I should get the Standard or Ultra? Any Standard users with they would have gotten the Ultra instead? If so, why? Also, I would be running it with a Recto 2:100 and two G-Benz 2-12's. It seems a lot of people like to run it with a solid state poweramp. How will this poweramp pair with the Axe-Fx? Thanks!

When I bought my Standard, I had the money for the Ultra, but decided against spending it because it was obvious that the Ultra didn't provide any extra features that I'd really need. In the months afterward, I came to regret that decision - not because there was anything in the Ultra that I absolutely needed, but the looper and the quad chorus became very attractive, and the fact that Cliff could conceivably add some new features to the Ultra but couldn't add much to the Standard nagged. In the last couple of weeks I sold the Standard and bought an Ultra.

So I'd say, if you can find a way to afford the Ultra, do it and you won't regret it. Buy the Standard only if you either absolutely cannot afford the Ultra, or if you can afford the Ultra anytime you want down the road. Trying to "rightsize" will leave you kicking yourself down the road.

zentman said:
If you have a Standard and you do the 2 amp thing and run out of effects, run another processor in the effects loop. The effects might not be as good as the Axe but for a quick delay or flange nobody will know or care.

I see you get teased a little on the other forums, do you have any regrets Zent?

Back
Top Bottom