any reason to use 2 midi cables hooked up to GCP?

KSPeace

Inspired
Just ordered an Axe Fx Ultra, I have been using the 11R and finally decided to upgrade! The unit should be here in the next couple days, so for the moment I am stuck preparing and modifying everything that will be supporting the fractal unit!

I know there were some things on the 11R that required you to use the midi in and out jacks both on the GCP and the 11R. Basically, if you used only one, when you toggled an effect off and on from the 11R itself the lights beside the foot switches on the GCP (that you have set up as stomp box style plus four presets) would not register the changes. So, when you ran a midi cable from the "output" on the 11R and the "input" on the GCP, all changes made on the 11R user interface would change the status lights on the foot controller real time.

Does this make sense after typing it out?? I have skimmed the manual twice, read what seems to be more web pages and forum postings than can be counted. Thanks so much for your time!

Kevin

That does make sense. I also moved from an 11R to an ultra, and use the GCP. I only use one 7 pin midi cable to phantom power the GCP. I don't toggle effects on and off from the Axe when the midi controller is hooked up, since that's that it is there for, so there's no need to run anything to the MIDI IN of the ground control for me. I dig the simplicity of plugging straight into the axe and running one cable up to the midi controller and that's it. I use two mission pedals plugged into the expression pedal inputs of the ground control. Such a simple but awesome setup!

Last edited:
I know when i was using my GCP with my G-Majors, if you ran a midi from the G-Major out to the GCP in, when you were building presets on the G-major and you were in the stomp box mode, when you set it up for say "delay" to be on when you opened a preset, the g-major would automatically set the GCP to show that, rather than having to go in and set the GCP up separately .... so, now that the Axe Ultra is here and I have been playing with it, it just will not do it like that ... no big deal!

And the way you have yours set up is EXACTLY how I am setting mine up at the moment, just got the 7 pin midi in so I can phantom power the GCP from the Axe Fx. I have one of my ernie ball vp jar's modded with a honeywell linear taper pot, scratched all the mumbo jumbo in there and put a TRS jack on the plate on it ... one more to go ... just ordered the other honeywell pot! I just prefer the feel of the Ernie Ball VP Jr's to the Crybaby platform ...

Back
Top Bottom