Any Physicists Here?

Quantum mechanics tells us that the observer affects the existence of matter at a fundamental level.

Our most widely accepted paradigm for consciousness is that it's something that magically appears in life forms at some certain point in biological life. This is referred to as the "hard problem of consciousness" by psychologists, scientists and philosophers - the hard problem basically tells us that our current model for consciousness has major issues.

But, there is another paradigm - Consciocentrism proposes that consciousness is a fundamental and ubiquitous feature of matter itself. (rather than consciousness being something that arbitrarily arises out of matter at some hard threshold) It's a major distinction for our understanding of reality and the sciences -- and all signs (since Einstein, Bohr, and Bohm) seem to be pointing us to that idea.

Consciousness is more fundamental than matter, and is a "guiding force" for the unfolding and enfolding of matter. To me, this is the keystone idea that will be at the center of any grand unified theory. Until we integrate consciousness into our scientific models, they will be incomplete.

Last edited:
The observation needn't be a "conscious being" nor "a recording viewed by a conscious being" but a measurement/detection device.

"If Bohr and Heisenberg had spoken of measurements made by inanimate instruments rather than "observers," perhaps this strained relationship between quantum and mind would not have been drawn. For, nothing in quantum mechanics requires human involvement. " (from the first link below)

Some alternative (scientific mainstream) views:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-myth-of-quantum-consc_b_788798
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Quantum_woo
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Quantum_consciousness
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Panpsychism
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics#Copenhagen_interpretation

Quantum mechanics tells us that the observer affects the existence of matter at a fundamental level.

Our most widely accepted paradigm for consciousness is that it's something that magically appears in life forms at some certain point in biological life. This is referred to as the "hard problem of consciousness" by psychologists, scientists and philosophers - the hard problem basically tells us that our current model for consciousness has major issues.

But, there is another paradigm - Consciocentrism proposes that consciousness is a fundamental and ubiquitous feature of matter itself. (rather than consciousness being something that arbitrarily arises out of matter at some hard threshold) It's a major distinction for our understanding of reality and the sciences -- and all signs (since Einstein, Bohr, and Bohm) seem to be pointing us to that idea.

Consciousness is more fundamental than matter, and is a "guiding force" for the unfolding and enfolding of matter. To me, this is the keystone idea that will be at the center of any grand unified theory. Until we integrate consciousness into our scientific models, they will be incomplete.
Be sure to check this ;)

The observation needn't be a "conscious being" nor "a recording viewed by a conscious being" but a measurement/detection device.

"If Bohr and Heisenberg had spoken of measurements made by inanimate instruments rather than "observers," perhaps this strained relationship between quantum and mind would not have been drawn. For, nothing in quantum mechanics requires human involvement. " (from the first link below)

True but maybe consciousness is something that permeates all the universe in various forms and we just erroneously attribute it only to human beings or living creatures in general.

As Hameroff hints in the video I posted previously, even the way microtubules behave when a cell divides could be considered a form of conciousness for example.

Excellent post. That first linked article is great, and the quote you pulled from it especially telling. It makes something concrete that I always struggled to conceptualize when I learned physics/astrophysics many years ago.

It seems there are not many independent ideas and it's mostly a copy and paste discussion of information? We believe we're not qualified to make assumptions because of a lack of intense study in this subject. If every single theory we have is wrong at some level, there is room for new ideas. Look at the nature of matter we can all see, study others ideas and draw your own conclusions.

Be sure to check this ;)

Yep. About 10 years ago I went to the biannual conference in Tucson called Towards a Science of Consciousness, at that time hosted by David Chalmers. Now it seems mostly Hoffman's baby and there are plenty of (pet) ideas proposed there ranging from magic to universal consciousness.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...-wild-ideas-at-the-coachella-of-consciousness

"There is something about the topic of consciousness that, unlike other scientific fields of inquiry, inspires an unearned feeling of expertise. If you don’t know much about, say, the life cycle of a protozoan, you probably would not pretend you did at parties. But because you are conscious, you might feel as if you can say something significant about the profoundly complex phenomenon of consciousness."

True but maybe consciousness is something that permeates all the universe in various forms and we just erroneously attribute it only to human beings or living creatures in general.

True, but we could also could also be erroneously attributing it to a larger or wider aspect of the universe than it really is. My personal/pet "working hypothesis" is that (human/animal) consciousness is more of a process than a thing: the brain is a complex dynamic system as is culture and the ecosystem. Individual consciousness seems to reside in the substrate of the brain, but it's also in a semi-autonomous body and it takes multiple brains, or indeed a complex ecosystem to arise. Life depends on sometimes complex or subtle detection of food, mates, threats, etc. Further, in human consciousness human culture is deeply woven into consciousness as we develop, and without it we can become feral/animal-like. But I don't have any scientific theories.

Last edited:
It seems there are not many independent ideas and it's mostly a copy and paste discussion of information? We believe we're not qualified to make assumptions because of a lack of intense study in this subject. If every single theory we have is wrong at some level, there is room for new ideas. Look at the nature of matter we can all see, study others ideas and draw your own conclusions.

True. As an ex-particle physicist, I am not qualified. Who is? When it comes to these wide open questions (even of god or origin of the universe) all we have are "just so" stories we tell ourselves. If you look at the history of religion, philosophy, and science, stories/hypotheses multiply in the face of ambiguity or unknowns. Science has whittled away many previous mysteries, but the "hard problem" of consciousness might be in the category of unanswerable by human thought.

Last edited:

The first article you posted is a criticism primarily of Robert Lanza's views about consciousness (and other related views which are different than what I'm proposing). Lanza's definitions, and focus on "human brains and biology" is where his views fail, imo. If consciousness is viewed as a fundamental, intrinsic property of all matter, then statements like "the observer effect doesn't require a conscious observer" are not valid, since every bit of matter from a single elementary particle up to complex life participates in the "realm of consciousness" (though at different intensities -- different levels of control over 3D matter, different levels of sensory information of the 3D environment, and different awareness of the dimensions of space, time, and potentially the multiverse) I'll think about a better definition for "conscious observer" in this context... I do agree that humans are not required.

We are so tied to a definition of consciousness as being a "human thing" or "brain thing", that most criticisms against a Consciocentric view form a paradox that is invalid based on misconception of the definition... If consciousness is fundamental and intrinsic to all matter, then the biggest problem, or criticism with it, is the "combination problem", which basically says: How does consciousness of elementary particles, to elements, to molecules, to proteins, to cells, to organs, to complex life combine together to create what we think of as "ourselves". That is an interesting topic - I would say that we have been conditioned to think in rigid terms that we're these singular, discreet conscious beings with a hard boundary of consciousness that originates only in the brain. Under Consciocentrism, our "personal consciousness" is actually many spheres of consciousness related to our organs, muscle groups, and other specialized bodily functions.

Consciousness is a fluid thing, where we can focus on high level tasks like contemplating the past, the future and various choices of freewill for the whole system of our body, or we can focus in on specific regions of consciousness / organ groups in our bodily systems. ie: When we learn to play guitar, our consciousness is tightly focused on a window of time around "the now / near future" and controlling the muscle groups in the hands and arms. We directly control the muscles of our hands and teach them - literally giving our hands "muscle memory" as we learn. As we become adept guitarists, the localized "spheres of consciousness" associated with the muscle groups in our hands and arms can perform this amazing task of timed coordination, playing music, with minimal to no higher level conscious focus. We can tune out, or think about high level concepts like transitions of song parts, key signature changes, or emotions, and our hands, with their "conscious muscle memory" execute all the complex motions like subroutines of a program. We have many spheres of consciousness in our bodies that we can focus in on, or we can leave them operating as part of the whole. Our bodies are a sort of ecosystem of consciousness, working together to allow advanced interaction with and control over our 3D material environment.

Consciousness, in this paradigm is directly present throughout our bodies, and not centralized in the brain. The brain is a high level transceiver that allows the body to control chemical production, and send matter, hormones and chemical energy to different areas of the body. The brain is a major organ of consciousness, and the central receiving unit for most of our senses, but not the only organ that is directly accessible by consciousness.

Further, the Consciocentric paradigm would state that as we pick up the guitar and obtain control over its 3D matter, our consciousness actually extends over the guitar itself. The phrase "it becomes an extension of the body" is literally true. Everything we own is part of our sphere of consciousness. As we manipulate matter, our conscious control literally extends to the object. And when we interact with other people, we participate in a sort of shared consciousness with them.

------------
I think there may be a way that we could scientifically test this hypothesis of consciousness directly existing in muscle groups, by monitoring, via MRI or other tools if there is a difference in patterns in brain activity when learning to play guitar, through becoming journeymen, through becoming a master of the instrument. If its true, then the patterns in the brain would change significantly at different skill levels, even if playing the exact same riff or song... as we progress to a master level, and "muscle memory" takes over the process, our brains should exhibit a completely different (and less intense) pattern of neuron firing - despite the fact that the exact same motions and coordination would be required. The localized consciousness of our hand and arm muscles would be conducting all the complex motions and timing required to play a riff or song. Also, I'm not sure if a technology exists, but if there's some way to monitor the muscle groups of the hands via some sort of detailed MRI like instrument, we should be able to monitor the millions of neurons in our hands and arms, and test the hypothesis.

Under Consciocentrism, our "personal consciousness" is actually many spheres of consciousness related to our organs, muscle groups, and other specialized bodily functions.

Our bodies are a sort of ecosystem of consciousness, working together to allow advanced interaction with and control over our 3D material environment.

I like this. I would extend it a bit to say that our "ecosystem of consciousness" is a nexus/locus of the spheres of consciousness of other consciousnesses as well, like our parents, siblings, caregivers, culture which become internalized. Although we have a sense of separateness, these other "minds" penetrate our sense of self, sense of others, sense of the world. Without this "field of consciousness" we are born into, I'm not sure human brain/bodies would have self awareness as such. Certainly consciousness/awareness but not our conventional sense of self-hood and how we relate to others and our environment.

I might venture that some yogis have 10-1000 times the self-awareness (and control) of their bodies and their consciousness than I (or most Westerners). We simply don't pay that much attention to the subtle and vast interior space of sensation, body, and consciousness.

Some evidence of "embodied consciousness", or at least a correlation of emotional states and bodily manifestations thereof:
https://www.pnas.org/content/111/2/646

Last edited:
I'd like to see a Dark Matter preset.

Dark Matter, String Theory, Metaphysics, The God Particle, The Theory of Everything....... that's why I bought the AXE III.

Back to Cliff's OP.... possibly, though there has so far been no detectable evidence for us swimming in a dark matter fluid/aether. (Then again it took 100 years to be able to detect gravity waves. We already had overwhelming evidence that general relativity is a very good description, but it is the most direct evidence of the "stretchy fabric" of space-time.)

There is a Bohmian pilot-wave analog using macroscopic dancing water droplets:

Last edited:
I have a theory about dark matter:

The double-slit experiment says that elementary particles can behave as both particles and waves. I've never been able to fully accept that. It means that a particle turns into a wave and then recombines to become a particle.

However... what if dark matter was a fluid that permeated the universe. All particles vibrate due to their energy. If you drop a rock into a pond it creates waves. In the same way if you shoot a particle into a fluid it will create waves.

So the particle is moving from the emitter towards the slits. There's a wave in front of it. The wavefront bounces off the solid area and also goes through the slits. This creates an interference pattern. The interference pattern is a complex wave with high and low pressure zones. The particle will follow the path of least resistance. Sometimes it will strike the plate. Sometimes it will go through the left slit and sometimes through the right.

So, yes, there's still wave-particle duality but it's because there's a wave around the particle. The particle is always a single particle and is never in two places at the same time. It's wavefront, however, is affected by the surrounding and dictates the path the particle will take. The path is randomized due to various factors so sometimes the path of least resistance is the left slit and sometimes it's the right slit. The wavefront behind the slits has all sort of peaks and nulls due to interference and the particle follows the troughs.

Therefore what I'm thinking is that wave-particle duality is actually due to a dark matter fluid that creates waves around particles.

It also explains the patterns with a single slit. The wavefront passes through the slit and there is diffraction off the edges of the slit. This causes lobing of the wavefront. Sometimes the particle will follow a sidelobe path due to random fluctuations.

IOW, there's a wave that propagates through the fluid and the particle follows the troughs in the wave.
I got an A in college physics. Haha. Big deal! :D

I have a theory about dark matter:

The double-slit experiment says that elementary particles can behave as both particles and waves. I've never been able to fully accept that. It means that a particle turns into a wave and then recombines to become a particle.

However... what if dark matter was a fluid that permeated the universe. All particles vibrate due to their energy. If you drop a rock into a pond it creates waves. In the same way if you shoot a particle into a fluid it will create waves.

So the particle is moving from the emitter towards the slits. There's a wave in front of it. The wavefront bounces off the solid area and also goes through the slits. This creates an interference pattern. The interference pattern is a complex wave with high and low pressure zones. The particle will follow the path of least resistance. Sometimes it will strike the plate. Sometimes it will go through the left slit and sometimes through the right.

So, yes, there's still wave-particle duality but it's because there's a wave around the particle. The particle is always a single particle and is never in two places at the same time. It's wavefront, however, is affected by the surrounding and dictates the path the particle will take. The path is randomized due to various factors so sometimes the path of least resistance is the left slit and sometimes it's the right slit. The wavefront behind the slits has all sort of peaks and nulls due to interference and the particle follows the troughs.

Therefore what I'm thinking is that wave-particle duality is actually due to a dark matter fluid that creates waves around particles.

It also explains the patterns with a single slit. The wavefront passes through the slit and there is diffraction off the edges of the slit. This causes lobing of the wavefront. Sometimes the particle will follow a sidelobe path due to random fluctuations.

IOW, there's a wave that propagates through the fluid and the particle follows the troughs in the wave.
Regardless of whether the pilot wave theory has been disproven (or in case there might be a similar theory) it helps to visualize what's happening. This is the best visualization I could find:

Back to Cliff's OP.... possibly, though there has so far been no detectable evidence for us swimming in a dark matter fluid/aether. (Then again it took 100 years to be able to detect gravity waves. We already had overwhelming evidence that general relativity is a very good description, but it is the most direct evidence of the "stretchy fabric" of space-time.)
There is a Bohmian pilot-wave analog using macroscopic dancing water droplets:

That's a good video explaining Bohm and de Broglie's Pilot Wave Theory. David Bohm is the seriously the most underrated physicist of the 20th century. He was a protege and friend of Einstein -- and if he hadn't been politically smeared and forced to leave the USA by dabbling in communism just before McCarthy period, his work would have much higher visibility.

Bohm's later work, after Pilot Wave Theory and Bohmian mechanics is actually his most interesting. He wrote the book "Quantum Theory" in 1951, which was a standard textbook in universities for decades. He released several seminal papers and books on quantum mechanics, information theory and consciousness. I highly recommend: "Wholeness and the Implicate Order", "Thought as a System", and his work with neuroscientist Karl Pribram on the "Holonomic Model of Consciousness"

Much of the heart of the Consciocentric paradigm has been inspired by Bohm's work. Over the past couple decades since his death, Bohm's work is now being re-discovered and re-examined, as it poses some of the most intriguing explanations of "quantum weirdness" and the results of the latest cutting edge experiments... particularly that "consciousness" needs to be considered in any sort of GUT.

Amazon product ASIN 0486659690Amazon product ASIN 0415289793Amazon product ASIN 0415110300

To me, the most fundamental forces in the universe, and "the core impulses of reality" are Separation vs. Unification of 3D matter through 4D time. Virtually everything can be boiled down to a balance between separation and unity, and an endless cycle of separation and unification events.

From the singularity event of the Big Bang (separation), to gravity and formation of solar systems (unity), to the fusion energy of stars with the Electroweak (electromagnetic / weak nuclear) force (separation) to the creation of elements with the Strong Nuclear Force (unification of particles into the elements), to the process of evolution and creation (repeated patterns of separation and re-unification of matter into new constructs on a macro scale).

If consciousness is indeed intrinsic to matter, and a foundation for it, it can be thought of as the driving force of these impulses of separation and unification, and the history of the universe becomes a story about how consciousness repeats this pattern of separation of matter (Big Bang, Weak Nuclear Force, Dark Energy), contrasted and balanced by the core impulses of unification (Gravity, Strong Nuclear Force, Dark Matter), pulling matter together and unifying it into elements, molecules and eventually the building blocks of biological life.

As an aside, the idea of separation vs unity is also core to our everyday personal lives - we start out united with mother, but grow to become separate individuals. We feel a deep instinct/drive to separate ourselves from the pack and do something unique or acquire individual wealth, but then our lives are somewhat meaningless until we re-unify with friends/family/society to share in experiences with them. We strive to create a balance of separation and unity in our lives. It also can be extended to our creation of our moral systems, socio-economic systems and political systems. Most of the rules that we create on a societal level are related to how much separation/individualism is allowed vs how much the unity of society is favored.

Also, the Act of Creation is literally an act of separating distinct elements and then reuniting them into a new form.

"the core impulses of reality" are Separation vs. Unification

Nice post. I have a similar view. I've followed Bohm (and Krishnamurti and their dialogues) and have read Thought as a System. I like Bohm's more holistic look at reality/consciousness, physics, and philosophy.

Hegelian (idealist) dialectics, Marxist (materialist) dialectics, and other "dialectics" point to never-ending cycles of differentiation/integration (and also dissolution). It gets rather complex and interesting when it isn't simply hierarchical (as fixed composites of composites) but multi-hierarchical, cross-hierarchical, non-hierarchical and dynamic, e.g. webs, networks, chaos, feedback, ecosystems, etc.

I personally think of three general principles (proto/meta "impulses") at work: unification, differentiation, and dissolution. The first two encapsulate form/formation, that is, homeostasis/integration and differentiation/separation respectively. The latter, dissolution, points to un-forming (decomposition, deconstruction, disappearance of specific forms), which is necessary for life/ecosystem but also occurs at the quantum level (e.g. annihilation, matter <-> energy transformation) and at the cosmological scale (e.g. supernovae, black holes in one sense).

Last edited:
Nice post. I have a similar view. I've followed Bohm (and Krishnamurti and their dialogues) and have read Thought as a System. I like Bohm's more holistic look at reality/consciousness, physics, and philosophy.

Hegelian (idealist) dialectics, Marxist (materialist) dialectics, and other "dialectics" point to never-ending cycles of differentiation/integration (and also dissolution). It gets rather complex and interesting when it isn't simply hierarchical (as fixed composites of composites) but multi-hierarchical, cross-hierarchical, non-hierarchical and dynamic, e.g. webs, networks, chaos, feedback, ecosystems, etc.

I personally think of three general principles (proto/meta "impulses") at work: unification, differentiation, and dissolution. The first two encapsulate form/formation, that is, homeostasis/integration and differentiation/separation respectively. The latter, dissolution, points to un-forming (decomposition, deconstruction, disappearance of specific forms), which is necessary for life/ecosystem but also occurs at the quantum level (e.g. annihilation, matter <-> energy transformation) and at the cosmological scale (e.g. supernovae, black holes in one sense).

This is an interesting breakdown of "three general principles" you have laid out. I would say the "principle of dissolution" could be grouped in with differentiation/separation, as they are both types of 3D matter breakdown / the breakdown of current unified forms into separate elements or a form of energy. This does bring up an interesting topic though, in terms of ConscioCentrism:

I've been thinking about Separation and Unification impulses as basically two sides of the same coin... a great balancing act that has manifested itself from the beginning of the universe with the Big Bang (separation), to the four fundamental forces (Electromagnetic/Weak Nuclear Force (separation), Gravity (unification), Strong Nuclear Force(unification)), to the process of evolution of life (repeated deconstruction / separation of 3D forms into separate parts, which are then united together with other 3D matter to create a new form)

The interesting question in terms of biological life then becomes, "what is the motivation for the dissolution phase"? We live our lives as 15-20 years of real growth and integration of matter to become ideal, healthy humans, but then our metabolism and growth slows. By the time we're in our 40s we're in the dissolution/decay phase. (as much as I hate to admit, I can confirm this first hand ;) What causes the turn around, or what's the pendulum factor where the unification process of building our human vessel switches to dissolution/breakdown?

Assuming that consciousness is fundamental to the matter of our bodies and "doesn't want to die / decay", what is the factor that determines that motivation for the reverse in direction on the growth/dissolution pendulum. Maybe on a grander scale, entropy is the will of the collective conscience that forces this dance of dissolution and reunification to continue, giving new generations the opportunity to create "a more perfect vessel" for consciousness, with better blueprints and better ability to sense and control the 3D material environment.

The interesting question in terms of biological life then becomes, "what is the motivation for the dissolution phase"? We live our lives as 15-20 years of real growth and integration of matter to become ideal, healthy humans, but then our metabolism and growth slows. By the time we're in our 40s we're in the dissolution/decay phase. (as much as I hate to admit, I can confirm this first hand ;) What causes the turn around, or what's the pendulum factor where the unification process of building our human vessel switches to dissolution/breakdown?
Growth and decay are continuous processes throughout life. There is no turnaround. It’s just that sometimes one of them outstrips the other. And decay from one perspective can be growth from another perspective.

As for what “motivates” this? Might as well ask what motivates a wave. :)

To assign consciousness to everything is, I think, an attempt to anthropomorphize the universe

Growth and decay are continuous processes throughout life. There is no turnaround. It’s just that sometimes one of them outstrips the other. And decay from one perspective can be growth from another perspective.
Yeah, I agree with this. Was just thinking about what the pendulum point between growth and decay cycles is for humans, and how it has stabilized like that.... musing on the process of entropy.

As for what “motivates” this? Might as well ask what motivates a wave. :)
To assign consciousness to everything is, I think, an attempt to anthropomorphize the universe

Indeed. However I would use a different term than anthropomorphize, as I'm not proposing that all matter experiences "human consciousness"... just something on a larger "spectrum of consciousness" beyond our current, more rigid definitions. My definition would be that consciousness is a fundamental property of matter, and has a goal of growth and control over larger and larger pockets of 3D matter through 4D time. The method to achieve this goal is cycles of separation and unification of matter into different forms. The "level of consciousness" on this spectrum would be defined by the sphere of control over 3D matter, the sensory awareness of 3D environment, and general dimensional awareness it has (the three dimensions of space, time, and potentially freewill/multiverse)

A single element of hydrogen has just a primal sense of "touch" related to the Electromagnetic force. It can feel the atomic repulsion when it comes into contact with other matter -- and it has a very limited ability for change -- but it does employ the force of Gravity to unite with other 3D matter and expand its family of consciousness. Under the right circumstances of unity and crushing gravitational force, the Electroweak force (separation) initiates a process of nuclear fusion where hydrogen is separated into elementary particles and energy, and then fused together / united into new "evolved forms of matter" - ie: deuterium, helium, and some other mutants of matter / isotopes.

This would be the most primordial "embodiment of consciousness". Using forces of Separation and Unity to evolve into something new... advanced elements with a higher atomic mass.

On planets where the united force of gravity doesn't reach the crushing threshold for fusion, then a chance for expanding control of matter into larger pockets is possible... the evolution of life starts where there is energy available for change... deep within planets where heat is available, or on the troposphere of planets where the Goldilocks conditions are met.

Elements unite to create molecules...molecules unite to create proteins and basic RNA strands, to the basic components of a cell (organelles). This would be a major point where specialization and spheres of consciousness begin to work together to expand control further over the material environment than could be done without specialized, localized functions. Organelles unite and work together to create a single cell life form. This process continues for trillions of iterations of separation and unification events, trying out combinations, and improving the vessel for consciousness to to sense more of its 3D environment and control larger pockets of 3D matter.

It's definitely a paradigm that conflicts with current dogma, but the alternative, more mainstream paradigm that consciousness is something that magically appears due to chemical reactions in a brain seems more far fetched to me. This is referred to as the "hard problem of consciousness"... trying to define this sort of arbitrary threshold where consciousness didn't exist before and then magically appears suddenly. Ask any neuroscientist, philosopher or physicist on their take to solving the hard problem of consciousness, and you'll realize our current mainstream paradigm is just a shot in the dark. And our current findings in quantum mechanics seem to be pointing to the idea that consciousness may play a fundamental role in reality and the collapse of the wave function into matter.

On the other hand, I think it's time to enjoy a frosty beverage, extend my sphere of control over my PRS Custom 22, and let muscle memory drive for a bit, while I zone out. Happy new year!

Back
Top Bottom