Any FC release time info ?

From what I have read so far, it appears as though you have assign the midi CC yourself in the III, where as the II already has them laid out. I could be wrong but thats how I understood it.
Correct. There's so much stuff in the Axe-Fx III. The MIDI spec isn't big enough to assign everything to a MIDI controller, so the user gets to choose what to put where.

Totally understand... I agree on knowing it; I figured it would take some time to program, so it could be worth dkingnin thr editor! I can program
It either way! When I programmed the JO-2C, I had to do it manually! The program didn’t work as I needed to do it!

when you say "loop in" if you mean use something other than the pedal's switch itself to turn it on and off, then no.

if you use the pedal's physical switches to turn on and off, you can go guitar > pedals > axe fx input > amp input & separate amp fx loop signal > cab. this is a bit simplified, but that's the general idea of 4CM.

if you want the pedals racked behind you and use another device to turn them on and off, then yes you need a Pedal Loop Device like the ES8.

there are many ways to set things up.

Definitely want a device such as my es-8 ir anoth t one to loop my pedals in and out! I don’t want to stomp then, as I may need different channels of a real amp or scenes>>blocks>>>channels on the axe-fx iii; I want it all to change with 1 button press!

Wow, so this means not everything is midi assignable?
From the quotes I've read, "almost everything is assignable" (paraphrasing).

But (I believe) the midi spec only allows for 128 CCs, so not even close to "everything" would exceed that limit.

Wow, so this means not everything is midi assignable?
Tons of stuff is MIDI-assignable. But MIDI only allows 128 controllers, so you can’t assign everything everywhere.

Remember that there are lots of External Controllers, and you can assign them per preset. Between that and scenes and channels, you can still do pretty much anything you can think of.

Last edited:
I thought that the FC's didn't use midi. I would hope that would mean the ability to make assignments without having to worry about being limited by midi channels.

Austin

I thought that the FC's didn't use midi. I would hope that would mean the ability to make assignments without having to worry about being limited by midi channels.

Austin

They don’t. When you assign parameters to the FC external switch and pedal ports, for example, you choose that port directly (“FC_PEDAL 1-4”) rather than choosing one of the 128 CCs. You’d set a CC if you are using a MIDI controller. I counted, and there seems to be over 200 assignable functions via MIDI. I probably missed several; I’m just reading the manual.

hmm...

at some point it might make sense to have the axe listen to 2 midi channels. maybe one for the amp sim and one for everything else

The 2 Amp Block instances can only take up 4 total CCs (2x Bypass, 2x Channel), not including the 16 External Controllers you could assign to several Amp Block parameters. So splitting into two MIDI channels by Amp Block vs everything else wouldn’t help anything.

You’d need a mega mondo foot controller to have access to Bypass and Channel on every available instance of every possible block, so that’s probably why it was deemed unnecessary to spam multiple MIDI channels. I can see the usefulness with automation, but SysEx strings would work in those cases.

I sure hope they release the FC's soon. If my III ticket comes up, I will have to pass until the FC's are available. Hope the FC's don't turn into the Load boxes they showed us over a year ago and took forever to release. Now if the MFC101 were easily compatible, that would be a non-issue. But I understand reason for it, but baffled on delay of product that literally was made to work with the Axe Fx III.

Anyone remember how long it took for the MFC101 to materialize after the Axe Standard was released. Years, IIRC. I don't think that will be the case with the FC. Why would you pass on the III? Go find a used RJM Mastermind LT for $200, or use a Helix to control it. Plenty of MIDI controller options on the market that let you get up and running with the III live right now.

agree...but i think the FC's will be coming soon...its only been a short time since the III release...although it does seem like a long time lol

I should be more clear. My point was that, for a very long time people used the Axe-Fx Standard and Ultra with any MIDI controller they could find. Sure, people clamored for a dedicated controller, but we all made do until one came along. The III isn't useless without the controller. Far from it. I have two other units that let me use it live right now.

I should be more clear. My point was that, for a very long time people used the Axe-Fx Standard and Ultra with any MIDI controller they could find. Sure, people clamored for a dedicated controller, but we all made do until one came along. The III isn't useless without the controller. Far from it. I have two other units that let me use it live right now.
that is true...

So we can use the MFC101 in midi? If so, what are we losing vs the Fractal XLR scenario that I currently use with the AXII?
I think you can use the MFC midi..I don't use the MFC currently...but midi should work...I think there are some threads on this.
Some items don't seem to work but I'm sure that will get ironed out. The FC is fully functional so that is a big plus for me.
I tried Midi with a morningstar pedal and didn't care for it myself..

Anyone remember how long it took for the MFC101 to materialize after the Axe Standard was released. Years, IIRC. I don't think that will be the case with the FC. Why would you pass on the III? Go find a used RJM Mastermind LT for $200, or use a Helix to control it. Plenty of MIDI controller options on the market that let you get up and running with the III live right now.

My plan exactly!

Back
Top Bottom