Any FC release time info ?

That isn't really true... Many midi controller pedals cannot natively do scene changes, which means they also cannot do channel changes... Meaning they are not as well suited.

So, the ones that would work well in general:

Liquid Foot
RJM
BJ Devices
Gordius
Voes
Morningstar MC-6
MFC-101

The above controllers have various levels of programmability and other features you may or may not require.

Avoid the Ground Control pedals... They definitely are a poor choice for scenes and won't work for channels.

I don't think the Midi Mate supports defining CC data values, so another one to avoid (might need to check the manual).

The same for the Tech21 stuff...

The key ingredients you need:

Ability to send PCs (for preset changes)
Ability to send CCs (for IA switches)
Ability to define what CC data value is sent (for scene and channel selection)

IMO, you already have a capable controller. It's not as programmable as maybe an RJM or Gordius, but until the other controllers are updated for two way communication with the Axe Fx III then none of them is going to do things like display the tuner, automatically display the preset name, track IA states across scene changes, etc.

Edit: one more capability you really want:

the ability to "group" switches to make them mutually exclusive. Otherwise tracking the active scene could be very confusing. Alternatively, a feature like on the Gordius which allows you to assign LED state on button press works, too.

So, I am new to AxeFX and new to this group... my AxeFX III shipped today, and while I am excited, I am probably slightly worried with how the AFXIII will work for my needs that are vastly different from how the AFXIII is marketed. I will never use this unit as a stand alone amp running through full-range speakers. I purchased it for other reasons, but mostly to work in conjunction with real amps and other times as a direct solution for recording, etc...

I am open to new possibilities, but my real-works solution would be one that allows the AFXIII to run though the FX loop of a real tube amp; I need the option of adding certain analog pedals though the front of the amp! I was hoping to have 1 pedal board, but this is looking more like that is not going to happen, unless I am missing something.

Till the FC6 or FC12 come out, I am hoping I can at least control the AFXIII with a Boss ES-8; here is a screen shot from the ES-8 Editor app...

Unfortunately, I can not post an image just yet, but as soon as I can, I will post the link to a screen shot!

Any help, thoughts and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

The ES8 has very limited MIDI functions. It is not a MIDI controller by any means. I think it can just send Preset changes, which will give you something to work with.

Also consider the 4 cable method with the Axe-Fx.

Yes, the ES-8 can be programmed to control the Axe-Fx III. It can send select presets on the Axe III, it can change scenes, and it can send messages from attached expression pedals. You'll need to do some programming, but it can be done.

The ES8 has very limited MIDI functions. It is not a MIDI controller by any means. I think it can just send Preset changes, which will give you something to work with.

I need an option to patch in and out specific pedals that run through the front of my amp: i.e: King to Tone, Keely Red Dirt, Cali 76 Compressor, Suhr Riot, Ditto Looper, etc...

I understand that much of what I have used in the past will change, but there is no chance I will ever use the AFXIII without going through a real amp for my main amp tones... I will, however, use it directly connected to my DAW. I see great need in that, and that is why I purchased it!

Yes, the ES-8 can be programmed to control the Axe-Fx III. It can send select presets on the Axe III, it can change scenes, and it can send messages from attached expression pedals. You'll need to do some programming, but it can be done.

I don't mind programming... I would use another option if it were better, but I can't loose the sounds that I get from my real amps and/or the King of Tone and Keeley Red Dirt;l the Cali76 is absolutely fantastic, and I think the combination of those, my real amps and the AFXIII will be incredible if I can get everything working!

I would love nothing more than to sell of most of my amps and keep nothing but the PRS Archon; the JP2C and Splawn QR could go, but I really love the FTR37; I have never played a virtual amp that comes close to its feel and sound; I hope I am surprised!

With this method, is it possible to loop in a King of Tone, Red Dirt, Cali76, etc. into the front of a real amp?

Also, check out the link I posted to the ES-8 Editor app... I believe it should work better than you expect it to! I am by no means saying it is a perfect solution!

when you say "loop in" if you mean use something other than the pedal's switch itself to turn it on and off, then no.

if you use the pedal's physical switches to turn on and off, you can go guitar > pedals > axe fx input > amp input & separate amp fx loop signal > cab. this is a bit simplified, but that's the general idea of 4CM.

if you want the pedals racked behind you and use another device to turn them on and off, then yes you need a Pedal Loop Device like the ES8.

there are many ways to set things up.

With this method, is it possible to loop in a King of Tone, Red Dirt, Cali76, etc. into the front of a real amp?

Also, check out the link I posted to the ES-8 Editor app... I believe it should work better than you expect it to! I am by no means saying it is a perfect solution!

...I really love the FTR37; I have never played a virtual amp that comes close to its feel and sound; I hope I am surprised!
When you get your Axe III, try the Div/13 FT37 amp model, paired with one of the 2x12 Division 13 factory cabs (there are 19 IRs to choose from). Play it through your best full-range monitors. :)

You can send more than just PC changes... You can send CC numbers and values, as well!
interesting. did they add these additional MIDI options after launch? i remember when it first came out it didn't do much, or at least we didn't know. i remember reading the manual and it only mentioned PC change at one point. must have been really early on.

this is the last i saw about it:
I borrowed an ES-8 from a friend and in case someone is thinking of controlling Axe-Fx scenes with ES-8 the short answer is no.

Long answer, to some extent yes and with a possible future firmware upgrade yes, but here's the frustrating deal. ES-8 has all the functions to control Axe scenes, but there's a catch. Most functions with the ES-8 are done with it's assign functions/commands. You have to program an assign function to a switch, which sends a CC command and yes, you can program ES-8 to send specific values. All good so far but, you have to program another assign command for the said switch's led to turn on. Also, if you don't want to end up with all of the devices led lit permanently, you have to program 7 other assign functions to turn off leds of all the other switches you would use to control scenes. Programming the ES-8 is in my opinion easy and you can copy presets, BUT: You have a max of 12 assing functions available (within a patch) while controlling all the 8 scenes this way takes 72. With 12 assign functions you could control 3 scenes and that woud mean no tap tempo etc, since most of these tasks are done using the assign functions. If this limitation of 12 assign functions were per switch, that wouldn't be a problem but since it is 12 assignments per patch, no cigar.

Of course, you could do PC mapping from the Axe but that presents other caveats which I can't deal with.

it just didn't seem to work well. *shrug*

interesting. did they add these additional MIDI options after launch? i remember when it first came out it didn't do much, or at least we didn't know. i remember reading the manual and it only mentioned PC change at one point. must have been really early on.

this is the last i saw about it:

it just didn't seem to work well. *shrug*

I have had mine for 1.5 years, and it has had CC# options since I have had it; the release of the ES-8 Editor has made it easier to work with... I am by no means a Midi guru, so that is why I am here trying to figure out how to make all this work.

I was told by some guys on the Mesa forum that I could not control my JP-2C with it, and it does control it perfectly... For that, I couldn't use the Editor app and no CC#'s were used!

Maybe it will wok Ok for this till the the FC6/12 come out. I am still worried that my midi needs aren't going to be as user friendly with the new controller... I want to keep everything on the board, but I already have some other thoughts swirling in my mind if the 4 cable method in the III would allow me to route certain I/O to the front of a real amp... that would change a lot, and I might just build a flame maple head cabinet to most the AFXIII in with a small rack shelf for said pedals that would pull out from the back!

I have had mine for 1.5 years, and it has had CC# options since I have had it; the release of the ES-8 Editor has made it easier to work with... I am by no means a Midi guru, so that is why I am here trying to figure out how to make all this work.

I was told by some guys on the Mesa forum that I could not control my JP-2C with it, and it does control it perfectly... For that, I couldn't use the Editor app and no CC#'s were used!

Maybe it will wok Ok for this till the the FC6/12 come out. I am still worried that my midi needs aren't going to be as user friendly with the new controller... I want to keep everything on the board, but I already have some other thoughts swirling in my mind if the 4 cable method in the III would allow me to route certain I/O to the front of a real amp... that would change a lot, and I might just build a flame maple head cabinet to most the AFXIII in with a small rack shelf for said pedals that would pull out from the back!
cool. just be sure to ask questions and be as specific as you can. maybe start new threads when you're ready to ask about specific setups. the Axe3 just came out. we don't know all the answers yet, and things may change too. so just be prepared. a little patience will go a long way. the Axe3 is the best FAS has put out yet, and we're just getting started.

cool. just be sure to ask questions and be as specific as you can. maybe start new threads when you're ready to ask about specific setups. the Axe3 just came out. we don't know all the answers yet, and things may change too. so just be prepared. a little patience will go a long way. the Axe3 is the best FAS has put out yet, and we're just getting started.

Absolutely... I am ready to see what it can do!

When you get your Axe III, try the Div/13 FT37 amp model, paired with one of the 2x12 Division 13 factory cabs (there are 19 IRs to choose from). Play it through your best full-range monitors. :)

Does it sound good? The problem I have had with modeled amps in the past is that they never sound like what it is modeled after; my stepson has made impulse responses of his cabinet with his Dual Rec., and unless he has changed his mind, he felt they were the closest to his actual rig.

I need to invest in a better set of full-range studio monitors, but I likely will not invest into the power amp, full-range stereo setup that some use...

I have never owned an Axe-FX, but I have played on my stepson's, and as great as it is, the the real thing is better. For me, I have never found a slightly broken up amp to even close close on anything I have tried... I have the PG BA2 app, as well as their BFX app, and those do not even come close. They are fine for when I need to be quiet, but there isn't an amp model that comes close the the real D13!

I have no doubt the AFXIII is better... that is why I purchased it!

Does it sound good?
Oh, yes.

The problem I have had with modeled amps in the past is that they never sound like what it is modeled after; my stepson has made impulse responses of his cabinet with his Dual Rec., and unless he has changed his mind, he felt they were the closest to his actual rig.
FRFR will never be the same as a live cabinet firing at the back of your knees and bouncing open-back waves off the wall behind you. If your FTR had an effects loop, you could easily recreate the feel of the real thing. Try this:

Get your hands on an amp that's model in the Axe — one that does have an effects loop. Dial up the model on the Axe, turn off the Axe's cab and power-amp modeling, and feed the Axe's output directly into the return of the real amp. See if you can tell the difference. :)[/QUOTE]

Does it sound good? The problem I have had with modeled amps in the past is that they never sound like what it is modeled after; my stepson has made impulse responses of his cabinet with his Dual Rec., and unless he has changed his mind, he felt they were the closest to his actual rig.

I need to invest in a better set of full-range studio monitors, but I likely will not invest into the power amp, full-range stereo setup that some use...

I have never owned an Axe-FX, but I have played on my stepson's, and as great as it is, the the real thing is better. For me, I have never found a slightly broken up amp to even close close on anything I have tried... I have the PG BA2 app, as well as their BFX app, and those do not even come close. They are fine for when I need to be quiet, but there isn't an amp model that comes close the the real D13!

I have no doubt the AFXIII is better... that is why I purchased it!
Well I can say this...I have many tube amps and I preform and record for a living...
The AXE has changed how I do business. I agree, you need the correct speaker. There are many that work.

What I feel is best - a monitor with some girth - QSC K12, Atomic NEO, Xitone - small speakers live don't work as well - they are great for the studio.
As far as "the real sound"
If I was playing live - or you played my rig on stage - you wouldn't be able to tell a difference...there is some slight "getting used to" the mic'd up cab sound. But, not enough to warrant a real amp. This is more than just line 6 or modeling in my op. ITs a voodoo box...and its pretty damn real. Take the deluxe verb model and throw a tube screamer in front of it with a simple strat and with the correct speaker...just awesome. same with many of the presets.

The BOSS ES-8 has very extensive midi controller capabilities. It always has since it's release. I am using one currently to control my XL+. It does a great job. I'll likely be using it to control the III until the FC12 is released.

Well I can say this...I have many tube amps and I preform and record for a living...
The AXE has changed how I do business. I agree, you need the correct speaker. There are many that work.

What I feel is best - a monitor with some girth - QSC K12, Atomic NEO, Xitone - small speakers live don't work as well - they are great for the studio.
As far as "the real sound"
If I was playing live - or you played my rig on stage - you wouldn't be able to tell a difference...there is some slight "getting used to" the mic'd up cab sound. But, not enough to warrant a real amp. This is more than just line 6 or modeling in my op. ITs a voodoo box...and its pretty damn real. Take the deluxe verb model and throw a tube screamer in front of it with a simple strat and with the correct speaker...just awesome. same with many of the presets.

Bruce, that is excellent information, and it is why I have been so stoked to get the III; it is why I waited and kept waiting; I knew as soon as I purchased one, the III would come out... when the XL+ dropped in price, I was very tempted, but held out because I felt like the III would be special. I have no doubt it is...

I suppose that I will be weary until I have it in my hands and can play it then. I will be updating my studio monitors; Maybe that is a huge issue, so if you or anyone has a great suggestion, that would be great!

Back
Top Bottom