Any FC release time info ?

Could you share your MC6 settings please....

There are no special Axe-FX III settings on this controller at this time. Or on any other controller, for that matter. So none is better or worse in terms of interaction with the new Axe-FX.

You just set up the switches so that they control CCs of your choosing. Those same CCs you assign on the III to the functions you need. In this way, the III will work with any MIDI controller as long as it can have switches assigned to control CCs. Someone else’s settings will reflect what that person wants to switch, so they aren’t easily transferrable, unless you have the same preferences. Also, you would need to have exact same settings on the III.

So none is better or worse in terms of interaction with the new Axe-FX.
That isn't really true... Many midi controller pedals cannot natively do scene changes, which means they also cannot do channel changes... Meaning they are not as well suited.

So, the ones that would work well in general:

Liquid Foot
RJM
BJ Devices
Gordius
Voes
Morningstar MC-6
MFC-101

The above controllers have various levels of programmability and other features you may or may not require.

Avoid the Ground Control pedals... They definitely are a poor choice for scenes and won't work for channels.

I don't think the Midi Mate supports defining CC data values, so another one to avoid (might need to check the manual).

The same for the Tech21 stuff...

The key ingredients you need:

Ability to send PCs (for preset changes)
Ability to send CCs (for IA switches)
Ability to define what CC data value is sent (for scene and channel selection)

IMO, you already have a capable controller. It's not as programmable as maybe an RJM or Gordius, but until the other controllers are updated for two way communication with the Axe Fx III then none of them is going to do things like display the tuner, automatically display the preset name, track IA states across scene changes, etc.

Edit: one more capability you really want:

the ability to "group" switches to make them mutually exclusive. Otherwise tracking the active scene could be very confusing. Alternatively, a feature like on the Gordius which allows you to assign LED state on button press works, too.

Last edited:
None is capable of Scene changes natively on the III as of now.

Or maybe you’re talking about creating mutually exclusive groups of switches?

How do you figure that? Scene changes are identical to the II.

True but they do the switching natively in Axe-FX mode where they expect certain communication with the unit. Each Axe-FX model has a unique identifier encapsulated in SysEx messages, so you’ll get an unrecognized device and possibly communication errors, timeouts and such stuff.

If you use a controller in generic MIDI mode, there’s no scene switching.

Most controllers you mention will work fine eventually, I assume, but they would need an update. Which one will get the update and when isn’t known.

Maybe some will work somehow, maybe not.

True but they do the switching natively in Axe-FX mode where they expect certain communication with the unit. Each Axe-FX model has a unique identifier encapsulated in SysEx messages, so you’ll get an unrecognized device and possibly communication errors, timeouts and such stuff.

Most controllers you mention will work fine eventually, I assume, but they would need an update. Which one will get the update and when isn’t known.

Maybe some will work somehow, maybe not.
That is just wrong...

There is nothing required for scenes other than what I wrote before.

Any controller that can send specific MIDI CC values can switch scenes. Any controller that can send CCs at all can increment/decrement scenes.

And controller that can send specific MIDI CC values can switch scenes. Any controller that can send CCs at all can increment/decrement scenes.

Yes, that’s certainly true. That’s what I said earlier - any controller capable of this will work in generic mode.

Then we started talking about “native Scene switching”.

Obviously, “native Scene switching” is just sending CCs but you need a controller that will ignore the fact that it doesn’t receive the data it expects after Scene changes. To set effect states on its LEDs, for example. Not all of them can ignore errors easily.

Last edited:
Guys, I do not play live anymore, just maybe jams with different bands I know etc or parties now and then. Home Studio 99%. BUT, the big BUT. If I was still playing live with the AXefxIII and the FC controllers I sure as hell would want a small footprint midi controller as a backup. No? Voes, morning star, liquid foot are all rather inexpensive for a small backup. For me it would be a liquid ft mini+ NEW or used or a liquid ft +jr+, VOES, or Morningstar. Great backups and not as expensive as say the rjm stuff and others. Just tryin to help ease the pain.......................

Guys, I do not play live anymore, just maybe jams with different bands I know etc or parties now and then. Home Studio 99%. BUT, the big BUT. If I was still playing live with the AXefxIII and the FC controllers I sure as hell would want a small footprint midi controller as a backup. No? Voes, morning star, liquid foot are all rather inexpensive for a small backup. For me it would be a liquid ft mini+ NEW or used or a liquid ft +jr+, VOES, or Morningstar. Great backups and not as expensive as say the rjm stuff and others. Just tryin to help ease the pain.......................

Yeah, there are cheap(ish) options out there, and, without information about updates for the big boys, these are probably the best bet.

The elusive FC, with its different approach, sounds very promising, obvious caveats aside. So I personally wouldn’t invest too much in an alternative solution. Until we do know enough about the FCs to make a conscious educated choice.

Yes, that’s certainly true. That’s what I said earlier - any controller capable of this will work in generic mode.

Then we started talking about “native Scene switching”.

Obviously, “native Scene switching” is just sending CCs but you need a controller that will ignore the fact that it doesn’t receive the data it expects after Scene changes. To set effect states on its LEDs, for example. Not all of them can ignore errors easily.
You are talking about integrated, two way communication. We are talking about generic midi control.

If the device you are using has an Axe Fx II mode, don't use it. Problem solved.

Edit:

What I meant by "native" scene switching is nothing more than CCs with specific data values, as opposed to something like preset mapping. Nothing more... Maybe that's where there confusion is from?

Last edited:
You are talking about integrated, two way communication. We are talking about generic midi control.

If the device you are using has an Axe Fx II mode, don't use it. Problem solved.

But that’s exactly what I said. If you don’t use this mode, you don’t have any native Scene switching. So it doesn’t matter whether the controller has it or not.

But that’s exactly what I said. If you don’t use this mode, you don’t have any native Scene switching. So it doesn’t matter whether the controller has it or not.
See the edit I just made... Our posts probably crossed on the ether.

Could someone with the knowledge and skill to do it please make a tutorial video to show how to program the MFC-101 to use it with the Axe FXIII. Show what it will and won't do without using the Axe FX Mode. Show how to set up presets, scenes, channels, looper controls, volume pedal, wah pedal, and turn on and off effects individually with the Axe FXIII.

You could use most of the same CC#s that the Axe FXII had for those same effects in the Axe FXIII. CC#s 100 through 119 were for x/y in the Axe FXII which are not in the Axe FXIII so those would be available for some of the new functions like channels or new effects in the Axe FXIII. CC#s 69 and 70, and 79 and 80 would be available also as those effects from the Axe FXII are not in the Axe FXIII so those numbers would be available for some of the new effects in the Axe FXIII.

Back
Top Bottom