Any Axe-FxII users that utilize ASIO drivers and Reaper?

romanianreaper

Power User
I don't get any sound unless I use some experimental drivers in Reaper or Wave, but of course the second has horrible latency.

I've tried to use the ASIO drivers from the pulldown menu but never get sound. I can see the meter getting the signal but no sound. Anyone know what might be going on? Is there something I have to adjust within my Axe-FXII? Thanks!

I'm using ASIO. No complaints. Check your Output Levels on the AXE?
Also, you might want to check out this thread: "Axe-II doesn't work as an interface with FW18.07"

Check your I/O settings. USB Return setting should be ~-6, not -60.

Last edited:
I use with Reaper like CLiff and Rick no issues. I am using the latest version of Reaper, but I never had issues with any version of reaper or Axe Firmware. Probably the USB IO setting that we have been talking about on the forum for weeks now:)

My goto recording setup. Never had any problems; works like a charm.

Have you reset your USB level from -60dB to 0dB in the I/O-Audio menu...?

Did you download the fractal drivers?

What sort of latency is everyone else getting using the axefx as the audio interface? When I use my mbox 2 the latency is way less than the axefx.

I get a slight latency when using ASIO and AxeFX2 as a soundcard in Reaper as well. It was fine when I was using Windows 7. It's only until I started using Windows 8 did I start running into this. It's a little noticeable when tracking and listening back with a click. I am now using a Universal Audio Apollo Twin and sometimes a Scarlette 2i4 and there is no latency with those units as a soundcard.

I have used Reaper exclusively for years. Try a different usb port and/or reinstall your drivers. If you can see the meters running
you either have the output set to the wrong channel, or you do not have the track armed and monitoring on.

Did you download the fractal drivers?

What sort of latency is everyone else getting using the axefx as the audio interface? When I use my mbox 2 the latency is way less than the axefx.

The default setting for the driver is "Safe". If you change to a different mode you can get much lower latency. I use "Minimum Latency" with no problems and no perceptible latency. I imagine it depends upon the host computer.

Please excuse the dumb questions I am about to ask. Just wanted to clarify a few things to make sure I understand specifically what is happening.

When you say you aren't getting any sound, what are you listening to your output on? The Axe FX, right?

Can you hear the "backing track" but just not hear the guitar? Or are you hitting play on reaper, seeing the meters go but just not hearing any output?

I use reaper and Asio. The Axe FX is my input/output device and as such my monitors are hooked directly to the Axe FX.

I of course hear the guitar the same I would hear it if it were not hooked up to anything sense I am listening to the headphone out of the Axe FX. So the ONLY potential issue would be am I hearing the backing tracks or tracks previously recorded.

And I have not had any issues. Latency is not an issue at all

I'm using Reaper with ASIO4ALL with no problems. ASIO4ALL lets me use the Axe audio interface simultaneously with other audio interfaces in Reaper. Works great.

As others have stated, as of firmware 18+ you have to reset your USB Return level to what it was before as it got set to -60/no sound. Read here: USB Playback is quiet FW18 - Axe-Fx II

As a side note, why did this happen? I went to record (with Reaper) after the update and got no sound and had a hell of a time figuring it out. Just seems like something that shouldn't have happened.

As others have stated, as of firmware 18+ you have to reset your USB Return level to what it was before as it got set to -60/no sound. Read here: USB Playback is quiet FW18 - Axe-Fx II

As a side note, why did this happen? I went to record (with Reaper) after the update and got no sound and had a hell of a time figuring it out. Just seems like something that shouldn't have happened.
I don't know why happened, but it's documented in the Release Notes that comes with every firmware. I don't know why people see an upgrade and just jump without even read what changed.
From the release notes: "NOTE: The USB Return Level parameter will be unitialized after installation of this firmware. Set the desired USB Return Level via the I/O->Audio menu."

The default setting for the driver is "Safe". If you change to a different mode you can get much lower latency. I use "Minimum Latency" with no problems and no perceptible latency. I imagine it depends upon the host computer.

I do what he does. Works here on my Win7/64 bit machine.

I don't know why happened, but it's documented in the Release Notes that comes with every firmware. I don't know why people see an upgrade and just jump without even read what changed.
From the release notes: "NOTE: The USB Return Level parameter will be unitialized after installation of this firmware. Set the desired USB Return Level via the I/O->Audio menu."

That's the most likely thing - read the release notes is the only answer. Failure to read them results in issues like this.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I should mention that I have never used ASIO so basically, other than trying it once before years ago, I really have never messed with it. I guess I didn't understand how one audio choice could be much better than another. I'll give it a whirl. :)

I'm using Reaper with ASIO4ALL with no problems. ASIO4ALL lets me use the Axe audio interface simultaneously with other audio interfaces in Reaper. Works great.

How do you monitor with this setup? Speakers plugged into axe fx or audio interface?

Yep axe fx listed latency in reaper is still alot higher than the mbox2.

Not that it really matters I guess.

Crazy that I'm still getting no sound at all. My USB return was already at "0". Anything else that has to be changed either on the unit or in Reaper?

Back
Top Bottom