Another Convert

So here's an update on my experiences with this phenomenal piece of technology.

It's currently at home, hooked up to a pair of studio monitors, little Yamaha MSP 5's and when not thru those some decent headphones. I've gone through gazillions of presets, tweaked some, discarded others and made some up from scratch. I've hooked up the MFC 101, played around with the order of patches in Axe Edit and worked with the MFC editor to organise and come up with a logical way, for me, to work it in a live environment.

I'm still figuring that out! Presets? Presets with scenes? Song mode? All 'work' - I just need to decide which is best for my requirements/needs and then stick with that. Am aboat to take the plunge on 2 x EV-1 expression pedals for wah, volume, shimmer and a whole host of cool stuff that I've read and got in my head. I know some folk don't like the travel of the EV-1 for wah, but am used to a Vetta floor board which seems to have a fairly long travel. Watched Cooper's vids about auto engage functions and that nailed it for me on the EV-1's

Yesterday saw me at home for the day with nobody about so those little monitors got cranked - holy crapping crap!! Friedman BE & HBE. Enough said. I was wailing on 80's rock tunes for what seemed like hours!! Then I went all ethereal and ambient for another good hour or so and then, just for larks, I tried some synth stuff. This thing continues to blows my mind.

The band have continued rehearsing and for that I've used my existing Vetta rig - which now shows it's age and it's kinda "fizzy" distorted tones (cleans are still really good!). Am now gearing up to take the Axe to rehearsals, however we've just bought the Presonus RM32ai desk so the last few weeks has seen a complete PA re-wire! Tried our drummers £600 in-ears via a stereo mix and the drums (Roland TD-30's) sound epic. Vocals sound warm and reverbed (is that a word..?), bass is nice and tight - my Vetta...crap! Well crap on the distorted tones. Sounded like a bee in a jar, but FOH sounds nice and big and 'rock'! Cleans sounded good though.

As eluded to in my initial post - next major purchase is either in-ears or FRFR speaker(s). My Vetta guitar through expensive in-ears though, sounded like poo and to be honest, it's put me off a little. Heard some Yamaha DBR10's the other day and for the money and size they sounded pretty damn good! Need to visit a decent store and try out varying models and take it from there. £600 for in-ears is a lot of cash to stump up if I don't end up getting along with them.

Having said all that - I'm having a great time tweaking, thinking about tweaking, working on tones, being surprised (again and again) with the unit and reading everything I can on this amazing forum. There are some truly epically talented and knowledgeable folk in here!!

More updates (especially after 1st full rehearsal and the outcome of my FRFR/in-ears to follow...

Cheers all

Dave
UK

So here's an update on my experiences with this phenomenal piece of technology.

... Am aboat to take the plunge on 2 x EV-1 expression pedals for wah, volume, shimmer and a whole host of cool stuff that I've read and got in my head. I know some folk don't like the travel of the EV-1 for wah, but am used to a Vetta floor board which seems to have a fairly long travel. Watched Cooper's vids about auto engage functions and that nailed it for me on the EV-1's
UK

You might want to check this out mate, just in case u fancy a tinker :)

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...regular-wah-pedal-full-details-inside.107796/

Love it!! That's a possibility - will see how I get on with the EV1's and Wah when they arrive.

Question for you, up there in sunny Northumberland, what was your process for mounting the MFC 101 and EV-1's on a pedal board. Am looking kinda for the type that's a board with metal handles at each end which then sits snuggly in it's flightcase. What was your approach to models and mounting the units?

Love it!! That's a possibility - will see how I get on with the EV1's and Wah when they arrive.

Question for you, up there in sunny Northumberland, what was your process for mounting the MFC 101 and EV-1's on a pedal board. Am looking kinda for the type that's a board with metal handles at each end which then sits snuggly in it's flightcase. What was your approach to models and mounting the units?

My pleasure :)

Previously, I had removed the feet from the MFC and stuck 2 strips of velcro on the bottom, and then onto a Diago pedalboard, and that worked great. It was a real bugger to remove it and was stuck like f**k when I decided to get an MFC Mk III!

However, since the change to the MKIII, I've been busy with the new labels and haven't gigged, so I haven't yet stuck it to the board at all. When I do get round to it, I'll do the same thing - Velcro. I used the 3M Dual-Locking stuff, which is really really good.

The Diago can take the MFC and 3 EV1s - it's a wide board!

mfc%20setup_zpsdlyhubsi.jpg

Oh man, I have no idea - got it second hand. Interior mounting width is 29" so if you check out their website I'm sure you'll find it on there.

Hi Dave - glad that you're having fun with the Fractal - you'll find it just gets better and better with each new update!
I've sold all my valve gear now (Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Digitech etc) and use the Axe only.
As for the monitor solution Pauly from Oz said it earlier and that's what I use - FRFR - which in my
case is in effect a mini PA system using a Yamaha stereo amp through two Peavey full-range PA cabs.
That way you're not colouring your sound with a guitar cab etc.and you can go from super clean to ridiculous overdrive
and sound like you're really playing through the amps/cabs hidden in the software.
I don't know how long you've been a player but I've been addicted to electric guitar for 45 years now and have been through
a fair share of gear in that time and I have to say that the Axe FX plus the mini PA "Backline" is just ideal so you've chosen
wisely to get to your guitar Heaven!! Saved yourself a fortune so you have!!
Glad to offer any advice if you need just like the rest of the players on here I'm sure.
Cheers from Scotland :)

yeah, go powered frfr...not poweramp / cab

i know you're strapped for cash at the mo, but if you can, definitely check out the RCFNX12sma's or NX10's. quite pricey, but they sound amazing - fat, warm and smooth...no more bee in a jam jar! :)

if your budget can't quite stretch that far, a lot of people still swear by the FBT Verve 12ma. don't skimp on price though...you definitely get what you pay for. if you can take the axe to your local store and try a bunch of speakers out, you'll see what i mean

Was thinking of going to PMT in Leeds one weekday when they're quiet - won't be quiet for too long though! Have already tee'd them up to roll out every FRFR they have for me and they seem keen (unsurprisingly).

My Stormshadow custom's with EMG's just sound....SO BLOODY GOOD!!! PMT won't know what's hit them...

I love the idea of good in-ears, but I think I'd miss the 'oomph!!' of having a sound behind me!!

To me, one of the biggest advantages of modelling is to go all-in on silent stage and in-ear monitoring. In-ears allow to hear a much better and more pleasant mix than any on-stage speaker and monitor. Missing the OOOOMPF does take some getting used to - But to me, it was all worth it. Also, when playing small venues, minimal stage volume allows the audience to hear a better mix. And your drummer is already playing silent - that is a good start

Try FRFR I use 2 powered atomic's and I love them, top quality, plus the fractal cab's are indistinguishable from the real deal, you will be able to open up a whole new world of tone's by mixing cab's and different mic's. I would also recommend cab lab 3, I have been playing for 32 year's and this little black box is the best investment I ever made. just my to cent's..

Back
Top Bottom