Announcing Axe-Fx III Mark II TURBO

Everything is the same except the processor speed. The Turbo module has a 1.25 GHz processor. The standard module has a 1.00 GHz processor.

Some of the supporting components (power supply stuff) are also different but that's not visible to the user.
What benefit does this provide if "everything is the same"? For example, can you add an additional amp block? Or is there really no difference currently and this is purely for future proofing?

Only the sum of the latency of each product, which is probably something 4 ms in total.

Wouldn't the SPDIF connection be a bit faster though?

two fractal devices connected in series with instrument cables:
1. AD conversion
2. however many samples it takes to process the signal in device A
3. DA conversion
4. AD conversion
5. however many samples it takes to process the signal in device B
6. DA conversion

two fractal devices connected in series with SPDIF:
1. AD conversion
2. however many samples it takes to process the signal in device A
3. device A sends signal to device B via SPDIF
4. however many samples it takes to process the signal in device B
5. DA conversion

In other words, the SPDIF connection trades two AD/DA conversions for one instance of sending the signal via SPDIF.
Of course it's kind of splitting hairs here, but still. Just wondering if there would be a difference.

I think of the updates as baked into the pricing model.
That's a good way of looking at it. I didn't realize this..., well, I knew there would be FW updates from time to time; I didn't however, realize just how much improvement and added features they would bring. However as I've said before a few times, I went without great effects for a long time, and the amazing amp modelling was a sort of "icing on the cake" for me, since I bought the AF3 primarily as a top-of-the-line multi-effects processor, so post-Cygnus, if the unit never received another update, I'd still be quite content with it.

I guess I choose to look at it in terms of how far the tech has come, and enjoy that, as opposed to lamenting the newer improvements that, with the advent now of the improved processor being available, I won't receive unless I upgrade.

And I'm fine with that! Even if I had a Mark I, and couldn't use FullRes the same way it can be used in the Mark II. And I'll probably just stay on FW16 for a while yet.

I believe it allows you to add an additional block or two to a maxed out preset.

Let’s say your preset on your current unit is at 85% but you wish to add an additional reverb, you can’t because you are too close to CPU overload. On the turbo unit, that 85% preset goes down to say 70%, thereby creating capacity to add that reverb block.

I'm pretty sure the benefit would be for players who are currently using presets that are butting up against CPU limits.
That would make sense but has it been confirmed? Maybe I missed it in the announcement. "Everything is the same" was posted in response to someone asking if they can use more blocks...

I'm mainly interested in whether it would allow for an additional amp block since I don't use many effects. I could see using an additional amp block for multiple instruments when I have people over to jam.

That would make sense but has it been confirmed? Maybe I missed it in the announcement. "Everything is the same" was posted in response to someone asking if they can use more blocks...

I'm mainly interested in whether it would allow for an additional amp block since I don't use many effects. I could see using an additional amp block for multiple instruments when I have people over to jam.

I haven't read anything about allowing more amp blocks, but you never know what Cliff will come up with! You oughtta make a wish list request for the Turbo to support three amp blocks!

Though I like (liked) having a latest/greatest Axefx, I knew the feeling would not last going in given the pattern with Axefx2 (mk1,mk2,XL,XL+) - not sure how some are surprised when the pattern continues. I can't afford to do all the "mk" upgrades - I'm ok with being a little out of date till the next major release.

"Free" seems overstated to me - I think of the updates as baked into the pricing model. Imagine the uproar if they started charging (truely "free" would only evoke a "well - good while it lasted" reaction if it stopped). I've always thought of Axefx as a not so expensive best of class high end modeller particularly given the typical generous volume of updates provided during ownership.

Yes, you're right about the wording choice- I changed it.

I read "everything is the same" as meaning that block count limitations (like only 2 amp block supported at max) remain the same, but with the additional CPU my preset that hits 85% will use less CPU and maybe allow another couple of blocks to be added.

Lets face it, Cliff has spoiled the S#% out of us by having the best
software upgrade cycle on the planet. This also spills over to hardware
as the Tech improves. If you need the latest and greatest,
generate more income and buy everything Fractal produces,
then sell last weeks model to the rest of us at a discount :grinning:.

Though I like (liked) having a latest/greatest Axefx, I knew the feeling would not last going in given the pattern with Axefx2 (mk1,mk2,XL,XL+) - not sure how some are surprised when the pattern continues. I can't afford to do all the "mk" upgrades - I'm ok with being a little out of date till the next major release.

"Free" seems overstated to me - I think of the updates as baked into the pricing model. Imagine the uproar if they started charging (truely "free" would only evoke a "well - good while it lasted" reaction if it stopped). I've always thought of Axefx as a not so expensive best of class high end modeller particularly given the typical generous volume of updates provided during ownership.
Great points. I agree that the updates are "baked in" as you say, and I'd take it a step further and say that the updates are part of their advertising approach. Mention Fractal Audio to an interested guitarist, and you're more likely than not going to mention free updates in your sales pitch as well lol

Great points. I agree that the updates are "baked in" as you say, and I'd take it a step further and say that the updates are part of their advertising approach. Mention Fractal Audio to an interested guitarist, and you're more likely than not going to mention free updates in your sales pitch as well lol
Ya know, now that you mention that, I have done that exact same thing. I think it's my 2nd, maybe 3rd, sentence! haha

The sense of entitlement here is astounding.
It reminds me of a comedian telling a story about a flight where he sits down, buckles up, and the guy seated next to him says something like "can you BeLiEvE that the wifi is out on this flight?! Such crap right??" and the comedian responds with "I didn't even know they had wifi on flights."

He goes on to make the point that how quickly people become entitled to things that a couple months ago didn't even exist.

I think I'd prefer it if they charged for software updates, rather than provide them for free and sell new hardware every 5 minutes. Obviously, the model works for enough people, and I am not demanding change, nor am I saying what Fractal should do, nor do I feel entitled to tell them to do anything.

But a software update model is one way I think people might feel like they were more invested in the hardware, rather than every purchase being a countdown to obsolescence. The onus would be on delivering cool features, making the software more efficient so the same hardware could do more, or even just supporting fractal, rather than them getting a deal on some more powerful processors or nicer screens that arguably nobody asked for and putting a +1 on the model number! :p FWIW, I haven't even updated to the latest firmware and think my guitar sounds great, I think the AFX3 was great before I heard this news and still think so, I do think it's quite interesting how many people seem bummed out by this release and also how quick some people are to try and shoot them down for saying something, it's nice that people are so passionate about the product, but I think it's ok to not think this is good news.

Last edited:
It reminds me of a comedian telling a story about a flight where he sits down, buckles up, and the guy seated next to him says something like "can you BeLiEvE that the wifi is out on this flight?! Such crap right??" and the comedian responds with "I didn't even know they had wifi on flights."

He goes on to make the point that how quickly people become entitled to things that a couple months ago didn't even exist.
I remember that, it was Louis CK, and I laughed all the way through it! So true. He’d love to be here for new product announcements.

Fractal sells you a product that is awesome, and provides free firmware updates. They deliver on every point, but it’s never enough. We‘re spoiled rotten here.

I've heard back from FAS and I could box my MKII up right now and send it back if I felt the need. I had to really weigh this decision carefully, since I just bought and sold an FM3 to get here in the first place.

I would want extra CPU to compensate for the use of FR IRs. I only would use those at home at my desk, so there is no need for everything to be in one preset at all. Also, who knows if the FR IR process is fully optimized yet? We might or might not see future reductions in CPU use in that application. It's not a given but I wouldn't rule it out, either.

I can recognize that instinctive "but but it's not fair" voice in my head but I also know that voice is 100% emotional and 0% thoughtful. It's my job to acknowledge, understand, and govern that voice in my head; because that voice is not rational.

Extra CPU is a great thing! If I needed it I'd start this return process now, but I really do not.

Now someone please tell me I'm right so I can tall that voice, "See, someone agrees with me!" 😋

Back
Top Bottom