Announcing Axe-Fx III Mark II TURBO

The nature of electronics is evolution. Does LG tell you a new television is coming out next week?

I believe some of the entitlement attitude is born from the iPhone where everyone knows a new one is coming out every September.

I have the MK I and love it, on 15.05. I can’t get Cygnus to my liking yet and may never upgrade units again. Six months ago 15.05 was the bestiest, and still is good enough for my needs.
But this is not the nature of music or tone. Musical instruments are largely timeless. The more high end the stuff is usually makes it immune to this. My Diezel VH4 is 25 years old and still as up to date as the day it came out. Even some digital devices ,the 2290 for example.

Last edited:
But this is not the nature of music or tone. Musical instruments are largely timeless. The more high end the stuff is usually makes it immune to this. My Diezel VH4 is 25 years old and still as up to date as the day it came out. Even some digital devices ,the 2290 foe example.

Forward is the only way to move and Cliff keeps pushing the boundaries!!! We enthusiast get the most excited for new tech but also get the most pissed when that new tech doesn't line up with our wallet or previous purchase decisions. The mk1 and 2 are still quite valuable so I'm sure you can figure out a way to upgrade if you really want to!?

I wonder if part of the reason so few have any serious savings these days, as well as not being able to retire and keep the same standard of living they're accustomed to, is due in part to this mindset of feeling the need to have the latest/greatest of things. I cringe when I read of people having to sell gear due to unforeseen financial circumstances.

Forward is the only way to move and Cliff keeps pushing the boundaries!!! We enthusiast get the most excited for new tech but also get the most pissed when that new tech doesn't line up with our wallet or previous purchase decisions. The mk1 and 2 are still quite valuable so I'm sure you can figure out a way to upgrade if you really want to!?
Someone here had a Mark II listed for $1600. It went fast, so I assume that's what it sold for. Someone got a great deal, I believe. Maybe he valued it a bit low, due to many Mark I owners wanting the ability to utilize FullRes. Either way, at that price, if you were the one doing that, so you could upgrade to a Mark II Turbo, it will set you back $2500, plus shipping & tax, so what, another $200...? So that's essentially shelling out a grand, give or take a hundred dollars, to do that upgrade.

I think that's a poor use of a thousand dollars, but a great use of $1600!

I wonder if part of the reason so few have any serious savings these days, as well as not being able to retire and keep the same standard of living they're accustomed to, is due in part to this mindset of feeling the need to have the latest/greatest of things. I cringe when I read of people having to sell gear due to unforeseen financial circumstances.

People seem to be mostly concerned about today and not the future so much as when I was growing up (maybe the doom, gloom and drama media have stifled their hope?). Myself, I am self employed, don't have much savings but the few hobbies and things I choose to do, keep me inspired and keep me going.

What ever to you mean.

typed from my iPhone 13 PM

Wanna turbo-charge the Mark I or II you already own?
Put an FM3 in front of it, connect through SPDIF, offload PRE effects to the FM3.

I'm curious about this. If you connected these units the normal way, your total AD/DA conversion lag would be the the sum of the regularly advertised lag of both units combined.

If you connect them through SPDIF, how much less lag would there be?

People seem to be mostly concerned about today and not the future so much as when I was growing up (maybe the doom, gloom and drama media have stifled their hope?). Myself, I am self employed, don't have much savings but the few hobbies and things I choose to do, keep me inspired and keep me going.
Being self-employed is one of the best things one can do for your future, especially if you can steer your business towards being run by your employees over time.

I'm curious about this. If you connected these units the normal way, your total AD/DA conversion lag would be the the sum of the regularly advertised lag of both units combined.

If you connect them through SPDIF, how much less lag would there be?

Only the sum of the latency of each product, which is probably something 4 ms in total.

Last edited:
Though I like (liked) having a latest/greatest Axefx, I knew the feeling would not last going in given the pattern with Axefx2 (mk1,mk2,XL,XL+) - not sure how some are surprised when the pattern continues. I can't afford to do all the "mk" upgrades - I'm ok with being a little out of date till the next major release.

Before Fractal, there really was no such thing as free functionality updates after a purchase.
"Free" seems overstated to me - I think of the updates as baked into the pricing model. Imagine the uproar if they started charging (truely "free" would only evoke a "well - good while it lasted" reaction if it stopped). I've always thought of Axefx as a not so expensive best of class high end modeller particularly given the typical generous volume of updates provided during ownership.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter when we announce things, people get offended. If we announced it six months ago when we finalized the design people would complain that it wasn't available yet. Our policy now is when a product is ready to sell we announce it. The Turbo modules arrived in the warehouse last Friday. Took us a couple days to test, program and set up the e-commerce and now you can buy them.

The Mark I is still awesome and the most powerful and best sounding product on the market. A single unified firmware works on all versions of the Axe-Fx III ensuring all versions share in improvements where possible.
Now if we can get all the other OEMs to do the same(not announce a product until it's ready)

Back
Top Bottom