Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR - UPDATED 7/27/09

Re: Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR

This thing was first posted about nearly 5 months ago...I know there was never a firm release date but I see why people are getting antsy.

It's tough to see a shiny new solution to the whole FRFR situation and wonder if it's something that you'll realistically have in your hands soon.

Most will just say to buy something else for now but no one wants to be the guy that buys another amp and then the next day the Atomic is released.

I think most of us are just excited for the product and are wondering the current status, that's all. There may be a storage area full of completed units at this point...but no one knows when they'll get to own one.

Peter Hundley said:
hdtv4me said:
Is this thing happening? I'm getting concerned that Fractal/Atomic may not be capitalized well enough to expand the product line as quickly as they had hoped in this economy. The lack of updates on this stuff tells me that little progress has been made and we'll be waiting much longer than initially expected.

That said, were there any other FRFR amps announced recently at NAMM? Any other options other than the QSC monitors? Peavey? Tech 21?

What are you even talking about? Last summer/fall Tom told me that January was an optimistic time frame for the release of the cab and that it may even be into the spring for the cab depending on parts and all that.........so they aren't late even based on his VERY ROUGH estimate.

If the wait is much longer than you "expected" then it's only because your expectations aren't grounded in any kind of reality.

As far as what other options are out there, I don't know..........but I think it's smart too look either way. Maybe you'll find something that you like even better.

p

Not sure where I said "late" I said the lack of new information leads me to believe we'll be waiting longer than expected. My expectation could be August for all you know. Now if they're on track to MP in April then the design should be pretty well buttoned up and they ought to be kitting up soon to actually make these things. But again, the silence is disconcerting...to me...maybe not you, but hey...no offense taken as to how offended you seem to be with my post. It's all good.

Frankly, this is the danger of announcing products before they are even developed. It's tempting to do as a start up as you want to create buzz, generate early adopter interest, and perhaps even receive important feedback to consider in the design. But invariably, the design will change, the time lines will slip, and in this economy....maybe even get derailed all together. I've seen this movie before and I hope it is not happening to Fractal/Atomic - not only for them as entrepreneurs, but selfishly, as a customer and fan of their products. The Axe-FX is a terrific product and I love it dearly - but it needs a FRFR amp. I still hope to buy the Atomic FRFR whenever it ships....for now, I need something to use and some advice what to consider.

That said, if I knew of other options I would look at them. But I really don't know of any. I was hoping someone up here would have some ideas.

hdtv4me said:
Peter Hundley said:
hdtv4me said:
Is this thing happening? I'm getting concerned that Fractal/Atomic may not be capitalized well enough to expand the product line as quickly as they had hoped in this economy. The lack of updates on this stuff tells me that little progress has been made and we'll be waiting much longer than initially expected.

That said, were there any other FRFR amps announced recently at NAMM? Any other options other than the QSC monitors? Peavey? Tech 21?

What are you even talking about? Last summer/fall Tom told me that January was an optimistic time frame for the release of the cab and that it may even be into the spring for the cab depending on parts and all that.........so they aren't late even based on his VERY ROUGH estimate.

If the wait is much longer than you "expected" then it's only because your expectations aren't grounded in any kind of reality.

As far as what other options are out there, I don't know..........but I think it's smart too look either way. Maybe you'll find something that you like even better.

p

Not sure where I said "late" I said the lack of new information leads me to believe we'll be waiting longer than expected. My expectation could be August for all you know. Now if they're on track to MP in April then the design should be pretty well buttoned up and they ought to be kitting up soon to actually make these things. But again, the silence is disconcerting...to me...maybe not you, but hey...no offense taken as to how offended you seem to be with my post. It's all good.

Frankly, this is the danger of announcing products before they are even developed. It's tempting to do as a start up as you want to create buzz, generate early adopter interest, and perhaps even receive important feedback to consider in the design. But invariably, the design will change, the time lines will slip, and in this economy....maybe even get derailed all together. I've seen this movie before and I hope it is not happening to Fractal/Atomic - not only for them as entrepreneurs, but selfishly, as a customer and fan of their products. The Axe-FX is a terrific product and I love it dearly - but it needs a FRFR amp. I still hope to buy the Atomic FRFR whenever it ships....for now, I need something to use and some advice what to consider.

That said, if I knew of other options I would look at them. But I really don't know of any. I was hoping someone up here would have some ideas.

I totally agree with you about the dangers of announcing products too soon........and I think Fractal has learned their lesson about releasing any information. We used to get this kind of information on this forum, but the complainers have thrown the balance and those days are long gone, so I can't blame Fractal.

And you are right, I don't know when you "expected" this product to be released (could be August for all I know).........but the opening line of your post ("Is this thing happening?") led me to believe that you were maybe expecting it sooner, if not already. Maybe I'm just crazy for having read it that way though. ;)

Tom King said:
We're working hard to get it to market ASAP. I'm going to stay away from giving a specific timeline at the moment but I should have better info to share by the end of January if not sooner.

The one thing I will say is that no-one wants the Reactor FR to be available more than we do! Thanks for hanging in there.

Peter Hundley said:
I totally agree with you about the dangers of announcing products too soon........and I think Fractal has learned their lesson about releasing any information. We used to get this kind of information on this forum, but the complainers have thrown the balance and those days are long gone, so I can't blame Fractal.

And you are right, I don't know when you "expected" this product to be released (could be August for all I know).........but the opening line of your post ("Is this thing happening?") led me to believe that you were maybe expecting it sooner, if not already. Maybe I'm just crazy for having read it that way though. ;)

Honestly, I'm TOTALLY happy that we are in the loop on this. It causes some pain for Tom and Cliff as our expectations are 'weeks', when they're thinking 'months'. But I'm okay with waiting for it.

Again, I might feel differently if I was regularly gigging again...

God, I gotta find a band.

Well, he said new info by the end of January if not sooner...seeing as it's the end of February I think people are just going off his statement and feeling left behind.

Hey guys, just popping in to say that we are still working hard on the Reactor FR and are every bit as excited to have this available ASAP as you are. Things are progressing a little slower than expected but everything is still moving forward at a decent rate. Just as soon as I have more concrete info, I will post here and update everyone on the list. We should be talking weeks not months for an update but don't sound the alarm if 31 days passes and I haven't nailed it down yet.

Thanks for hanging in there!

-TK

Thanks for ruining my joke Tom :twisted:

And thanks for the update. Looking forward to it.

Anyone have any opinion how the Axe would sound with any of the current Atomic offerings like the 18 watt 1x12?

Josh O said:
Anyone have any opinion how the Axe would sound with any of the current Atomic offerings like the 18 watt 1x12?

i heard the axe fx through both stereo qsc's and stereo atomic 1x12's at the ny amp show last year. the atomic 1x12's sounded good the qsc's sounded much better to me. i would just wait for the atomic frfr.

As far as I understand, a FRFR will allow me to use the cab simulation in the Ultra, right? So I could go straight from the Ultra into the Atomic FRFR? Is it going to sound as good as going into a cab? I don't know much about these things. I'm very interested in this product, but is a 1x12" going to be enough for small venues?

cheers

The way it's been explained, you'd use the full range of options...cabs included. As for the 'as good as going into a cab', that's been a debate for some time, since we have alot of 'in the room' discussions. For me, it's absolutely there.

Well, it's 50 tube watts through a very efficient speaker, and a horn for other freq's.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't enough, but YMMV. And you can always get 2...

So Cliff or whoever was behind the official fractalaudio username said that the 7.04 firmware would be it for a while so they could, "spend some time on a few pressing projects." Releasing the atomic? MFC. Oh please oh please let it be the MFC!!!

electronpirate said:
The way it's been explained, you'd use the full range of options...cabs included. As for the 'as good as going into a cab', that's been a debate for some time, since we have alot of 'in the room' discussions. For me, it's absolutely there.

Well, it's 50 tube watts through a very efficient speaker, and a horn for other freq's.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't enough, but YMMV. And you can always get 2...
Thanks dude! Seems the easiest way. And I can use the unbalanced to go straight to a PA if I'm in a bigger venue, turn it around and have the amp infront of me as a monitor?

juliancs said:
electronpirate said:

Thanks dude! Seems the easiest way. And I can use the unbalanced to go straight to a PA if I'm in a bigger venue, turn it around and have the amp infront of me as a monitor?

Not sure if it's been covered, but I'm hoping that it's an XLR out of the cab itself. That's what I would send to FOH (and what I do now out of my FRFR speaker...)

But if there's only an unbalanced out, I'd rather set up a MONO setup, and just do a copy L->R, left to the Fratomic, and send the right to FOH.

electronpirate said:
juliancs said:
electronpirate said:

Not sure if it's been covered, but I'm hoping that it's an XLR out of the cab itself. That's what I would send to FOH (and what I do now out of my FRFR speaker...)

But if there's only an unbalanced out, I'd rather set up a MONO setup, and just do a copy L->R, left to the Fratomic, and send the right to FOH.

Sorry, I'm getting confused : "the system comes equipped with a balanced input and output so you can go directly FOH out of the cab."

So there you go. I just didn't remember. I did say 'not sure it's been covered'... Just didn't remember, and waiting for the final stats before really studying it...

All good -thanks for the info. Was just making sure what was rattling around my head was correct. Seems pretty perfect then. Better start saving!

Back
Top Bottom