An update from a newb

Status
Not open for further replies.
what a trip...I'll never understand why someone would "ask for help" then refuse to listen to any suggestions given. OR why someone claims one thing is superior while refusing to do any sort of apples to apples comparison. I guess some people just like to argue.

Guys, just go bang your head on the wall a few times and go on about your day. This thread has gone on for 4 pages and gotten nobody anywhere, other than causing a lot of frustration and waste of time.

The Axe III is awesome, and personally my best musical purchase ever, and I’m sure lots agree with me, but it’s also not for everyone. For a ton of different reasons, from the very valid to the very insane, some people simply will not like it. Who cares ? Why do we need to try so hard to make people agree with us ?

I kind of like the fact that not everyone knows, and or loves the Axe. I think it’s kind of cool in a way, reading TGP posts and guys talking about their tube amps, dealing with volume issues, routing hassles etc, and I sit there with my III, getting amazing tones and not dealing with any of that.

It’s like I know a secret, or a shortcut to work, so I’m getting there in 15 minutes while everyone else is spending 90 minutes in gridlock.

Do I really want to go tell the entire building my shortcut so that then everyone takes it and now it takes me 45 minutes since my route is now equally congested ?

I wish Cliff all the success in the world, but I don’t really have any stake in how many units sell. If 1 out of 3 guitar players all move to FAS what does it really do for me ?

I use, I like it, I’m happy to share my experiences with others, but I’m not going around trying to “sell” anyone else on it. I don’t get a commission or anything lol.

I’ve had buddies try it and buy it, and love it, and then sound better than me, maybe I should of kept my mouth shut I think at times lol.

It’s really cool how helpful everyone is here, and I know we want everyone to love it as much as we do, but sometimes you’ve just got to walk away, agree to disagree, or whatever.

If the OP keeps his III, returns it, thinks a Yamaha is better, wants to tell everyone he knows FAS sucks, or anything in between, more power to him.

I don’t see a point in spending any of my limited free time worrying about what someone else thinks because it has zero bearing on what I think of my gear. Likewise, his experiences, good or bad, won’t affect anyone else’s enjoyment either.

So what’s the point of 4+ pages of threads like this, which keep popping up more and more often, and go nowhere and accomplish nothing?
It all came down to an artificial boost around 6k that the Elac speakers had. Fractal Support nailed it by suggesting I look there. By either dropping that down by 4db on the Elac speakers or using Yamaha HS8 monitors things were made much more palatable. I now hear what I expect to. I am more than willing to eat some humble pie in admitting that my initial choice of speakers which gave a pleasant sense of “air” on mastered recordings were a poor choice in this application. I may have ticked off a few folks by not being happy with what I heard but I wasn’t doing it for grins nor to knock Fractal. Perhaps my adventure and findings will help others. My final thought, and I may get blasted for it, the Axe FX III might benefit from a front panel global tone knob. Centered around 5-6k. Much like most dirt pedals have. An easy way to normalize when using different monitors or headphones. I would add that there is also the matter of taste. The gentleman that suggested Boss modeling is superior to Yamaha. I couldn’t disagree more as I can not stomach Boss modelers or Katana amps. But to each his own. I never intended to be divisive here but I was determined to get results like I was lead to expect in this forum and the various YouTube videos I watched prior to my purchase. Thanks to some keen ears at Fractal support I found a solution. Can I get a break for expecting the best from the best please? Yes, I was frustrated by my initial results. That did lead to my learning a new counter intuitive thing.... that what may help a mastered recording may not help a live performance. Many thanks to those that supported me with suggestions. To those that were offended, it was never personal. Tone is highly subjective. Making music is an emotional affair. Rock on.

P.S
A direct apology to Chris. Yes, I did it again. Sorry. I hope to make it up some day with a preset that meets my goals that I can share.

Last edited:
@King’s X - Jason bottom line is the Axe-Fx can do whatever you want it to do, sound just like the THR is you want. Until you come in here with a EUREKA report that you figured it out you'll just continue to receive beatings for whatever you say to the contrary. :tired: upload a preset!
See my EUREKA moment on the 6K frequency content and ask for a global “tone” control for the Axe FX. I appreciate your input!

Reactions: ang
My final thought, and I may get blasted for it, the Axe FX III might benefit from a front panel global tone knob. Centered around 5-6k.

See my EUREKA moment on the 6K frequency content and ask for a global “tone” control for the Axe FX. I appreciate your input!

This is what the Global Output EQ is for. It’s not a knob on the front panel but if Fractal put a knob for everyone’s favourite parameter then it simply wouldn’t be practical.

Post #17:
the speakers you mention are pretty inexpensive. i wouldn't expect anything to sound stellar out of it. they are meant for canned, processed, recorded music to sound good to the average listener. that usually means hyped highs and lows. electric guitar sounds horrible with hyped highs and lows.
The response:
If a CD sounds really good on my “cheap” speakers why can’t my guitar tone generator?

I hear things like “think outside the box” while people talk in absolutes. Count me out of that loop.

The eventual accepted solution at post #83:
It all came down to an artificial boost around 6k that the Elac speakers had. Fractal Support nailed it by suggesting I look there.
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom