Amps that have surprised & impressed you in V10

THP

For me it's the SOLO 100 RHY. I could never get on with this amp before, I found it too bright, harsh and unforgiving. However with V10, although it's still bright, crisp and edgy it seems to have lost it's harshness.

Anyone had any similar experiences with amps they had previously written off?

I have been using FW7 up until now so I have missed on many things but I was speechless at how good everything sounds... Rectos are phenomenal, way better than in firmware 7 and the Triaxis stuff just rocks too. FAS Modern struck me as it seems quite different now but still it's awesome.
This update is simply astounding.

Gotta agree that they all sound so killer it's hard to pick. I'd say the most notable for me though are the Rectos and the SLO 100 Lead channel. I never could get anything even close to useable with the old Rectos and now they are in my top 5 list. Although I could get OK sounds out of the SLO before, at the moment I'd say it's my favorite of the pack... of course that could change as the day progresses. I just reconfigured my main bass patch with some of the new cabs and... Holy Shitballs does it sound huge!

Another notable improvement for me is the Bender Fuzz. I had to completely change the settings I was using in patches that use it, but it sounds far better now than it ever did.

One more week of working and dreaming about being home to play with the Axe and I have a stay at home vacation to really dig into this thing.

So far the Bogners by far. I didn't dig the Euro Uber too much before this. Just couldn't get it to sound chunky enough like I expect an Uberschall to sound like.

Now its chunkier than Honey Boo Boo's mom.

The Vox AC30 is probably my favorite amp in real life. I've never loved it in the FAS stuff going back to the Ultra. I've never said anything "bad" about it, but I've definitely never said anything nice. It took a TON of work for me to get it to sing. So this is the first amp model that I check out with each update. My pants were soiled almost instantly. It's amazing.

I ran through about 20 of them last night. Every single one was eye opening. The Soldano as noted in the first post was the first time I've ever used it and liked it. I love it now. I've been a fan of the plexi, but holy crap I almost jumped out of my seat when I tried it. Its staggering. The Fenders sound more alive to me. I've always struggled to get a clean tone that didn't sound flat in the past on most amps. There seemed to be a narrow sweet spot on many of them to me to get them to sing without being overly distorted and while I haven't dug into making a preset with them yet they do sound more 3 dimensional.

I haven't found a dud yet. Even the more hardcore high gain amps that I tend to ignore sounded more musical to me even though my face was being ripped off by them. :)

I'm also going to throw the Citrus out there too. Once again, I was just a tad disappointed by the Citrus in FW9. It just didn't feel like it had any balls, and it was way too honky sounding no matter what I tried.

Now this thing screams with a vengeance!

All of the Bogners. Never could get them to sound the way I expected them to. Now--oh hell yeah! They get my "most improved" award.

+1. But also agree too many others but I'll list a few. :D

Rectos, Splawn, 5150, 5153....pretty much all of them that I've played so far!

Another vote for the AC30TB. But as everyone else is saying, there is not a bad one in there. I could use them all instead of just having a few that I always go to. It's an amazing update!

The Plexi's sound STAGGERING! I also found the Bogners and Soldano to be incredibly better. I like everything other than the /13. for some reason it sounds like there is something wrong with the setting. Make no mistake the Pros of FW10 far outweigh one /13 patch!

Cliff..you guys rock! I can safely say that AXE FXII is the single best gear purchase I have EVER made!!!

Try the Soldano Lead with that new cab, Greenback mix... The Ac15 and specially the AC30 - +1000 on those, the plexi 100w high... I never liked Mesas - now take the USA Lead preset, and make the GEQ flat - wow! The Recto Orange vintage mode sounds mean. Friedmans sound aggressive and yet, there's a smoothness and definition in the top end which makes me smile.
The Uber sounds great, too. I must say the Swart Atomic was a pleasant surprise from the get go! Sounds bold, mean, swampy...
Kudos to Cliff for MIMIC and the new cabs!

Back
Top Bottom