Amps that have surprised & impressed you in V10

I have never bothered to try it in other firmwares but the brit pre is a great hard rock solo sound.So much fun!

Quick question: what's the difference between the Das Metal and Dizzy? Is it the channels on the amp?

Das Metal is the VH4, modeled after schematics. It was a favorite of many Standard/Ultra players.
Dizzy (3 channels) is the VH4, based on analyzing the real amp.

EDIT: and don't forget Herbert ch 3, which is also similar to the VH4 (and better IMHO).

Last edited:
Lovin the Bogner Red, all the Peavey 5150 type models, Brit Mod, Plexis, Triaxis, Super Reverb, 59 Bassguy, JVM, and Bludojai Lead. Probably a lot more, but just haven't had the time to mess with very many other models yet.

The Bludojai is just insane for getting a thick, smooth, sustaining lead tone. Great for fusion, Santana, even blues with the drive backed down.

So far, the only ones I haven't cared for are the Leggy, VH4, and FAS Modern models. But, I rarely used them much anyway.

That leads me to an interesting question. With MIMIC having been applied to the models of real amps, will the theoretical models (i.e. FAS Modern, FAS Lead) be sub-par now? I really haven't had time to spend on any of them to make a judgement yet.

...will the theoretical models (i.e. FAS Modern, FAS Lead) be sub-par now? I really haven't had time to spend on any of them to make a judgement yet.

As a high gain player and in my opinion, the FAS Modern (try it with the FAT switch engaged) is worth the cost of the entire AxeFX II alone. Cliff's ears were golden on this one...

For a good chunk of today I've been stuck on dumble...Taylor 814ce (acoustic) into the AxeII, dialed up cavernous preset, changed the amp to ODS clean, turned bright on.RCF12 sounds luscious. Delicious even. As you were..Like v10
I have a 756ce and will have to try this tonight.

Glad to read many are hearing what I am. Floored by how good/better all sound, but especially the Vox and Plexis - neither never really did it for me before. Now - wow!

I've heard Robben's and Larry's Dumbles firsthand in small clubs, so I totally understand why they're as revered as they are. I've been wanting that tone in my trick bag for a long time, but none of the 'affordable alternatives' I've ever played got me anywhere close to what I know a real one can sound like. Until now!

I'd been waiting with baited breath since the moment I found out Cliff bought a real Dumble, and I must say it was well worth the wait. I can't really comment on the quality of other models yet, because I could not quit playing that one! It (the ODS100 Lead model) has the right blend of thickness and clarity; warm, yet defined; and always with nice response to the pick or fingers. Also, it is dynamic in a way I've never heard from any Dumble model before (including v 9.02). It cleans up so well, I could probably play a whole gig with just one patch!

I love it. That model alone is worth the price of the Axe. And it warms the cackles of my heart to know that there are over 100 more amps in there that are just as well modeled, waiting patiently to be discovered. Talk about first world problems! :lol

Definitely the Bogner Red....
The SLO ones got way better
Herbie Ch 3 is awesome
but my favorite improvement is the Plexi 50w

oh and the basketweave mix IRs are bad ass!

The bogners. THE BOGNERS.. I never used to touch the Bogners's unless I was using all sorts of choruses and delays. Now they just sound sooo right.

I think there's MAGIC in V10 every amp I go to is blowing my mind. A jcm-800 with an 808 drive pedal it was like the 80's all over again :ugeek

I just fell in love with the Splawn Nitro!!! I remember trying these out a while back, but they never grew on me at the time. Tonight I was working on updating some v9 shredding patches I made and decided to check out the Splawns in v10. Holy shitballs indeed! 3 minutes later I have a patch that blows away anything I had in any of the previous firmware versions. AWESOME.

Last edited:
One of my most pleasurable finds have been the triaxis green and yellow. I can relate to the cheerleader analogy though!

I had two of them in my 'refrigerator' for years. It's so nice to have them back, and even better than the ones I had!

Amps or cheerleaders?

Seriously, I'm loving the EnergyBall, the JMP, the Plexi 100, and the Splawns. I've not got around to investigating the others...yet!

Back
Top Bottom