Amps that clean up well

rockridge98

Inspired
My holy grail amps are the ones where you can go from slightly crunchy rhythm to full solo tone just using your guitar volume knob, without a big jump in perceived volume.
This seems to be an area where modelers have trouble.

Any suggestions on which Axe-FX amp models, patches, or programming tricks are best for this?

Axe-Fx has come a very long ways in this regard! I find most of its amps clean up very well nowadays. Tonight while seeking a "new" higher-gain tone, I revisited the Mesa Mk IIC+ (I played one for years). Despite the gain being pretty cranked, I could turn my volume knob to 3 and it had great string definition and was far cleaner than the knob full up. Stops along the way yielded many other useful tones. I've been playing modelers forever (we went silent stage a good 15 years ago) and totally got away from using my volume knob anywhere except 0 and 10. No longer.

This is a great model, BTW. And it hasn't even been G3'd yet...

A "slightly crunchy rhythm to full Solo" with the volume knob is doable with a lot of amps it just depends on what flavor of amp you like. For me the Plexi 100 high works really good.

A "slightly crunchy rhythm to full Solo" with the volume knob is doable with a lot of amps it just depends on what flavor of amp you like. For me the Plexi 100 high works really good.

Oh yea, for sure...and the 1987x and the 59SLP are also sooooo good with the volume control. I could do a whole night with just one preset using any of those...

Actually Plexi 100 hi is exactly what I've been using, but I feel like the volume jump between "slightly crunchy rhythm to full solo" is too big on that one.
I am looking forward to playing with everyone's suggestions.

Actually Plexi 100 hi is exactly what I've been using, but I feel like the volume jump between "slightly crunchy rhythm to full solo" is too big on that one.
I am looking forward to playing with everyone's suggestions.

I went messing around with a few others that I normally use AC30TB, JCM 800 and noticed the volume difference was somewhat the same only the fundamental tone was the difference. You might try adding a compressor to the front end of the signal chain and attach an ADSR mod to it (Mix and Level), set the values so it adds some slight compression mix and lowers the level mix at full guitar volume to curb the volume jump.

There's too many that does that well to mention them all. I use mostly Euro blue, Dumble and a few other boutique amps, Plexi 100 high, JCM800, Morgan AC20, DC30… Euro Blue is my favorite because it can go from edge of breakup to high gain

I use Friedman BE to go from sligthly chrunch when having the guitar volume on 3-4, to lots of gain on full volume.

My PRS drops off the high end as soon as I turn down the volume. Thinking of using pedal instead of guitar volume knob. Secondly, anyone think the volume pot could be bad? Thanks...

My amps never clean up well. Now of them know how a hoover works. Marshall always leave his shoes on the table, Friedman leaves smudges after the dishes and you don't want to know what Carroll Ann does to the bathroom. And Trainwreck... Speaks for itself...

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Couldn't believe nobody did this before me...

My amps never clean up well. Now of them know how a hoover works.

ba-dum-tish.gif

My PRS drops off the high end as soon as I turn down the volume. Thinking of using pedal instead of guitar volume knob. Secondly, anyone think the volume pot could be bad? Thanks...
Sounds like it may have a treble bleed circuit in it. Click Here to see how to fix it.

There are other advantages to using a pedal for volume in addition to not losing treble. It puts your volume control after the gate, which allows you to use more aggressive gate settings to control noise, without cutting your signal when you lower volume going into the amp. I use a volume block in the first position in every one of my presets for this reason. Also, I just feel like I have better control with a pedal than my volume knob. Jeff Beck I aint :)

As for the OP, I'm completely amazed at how well all the amps clean up. Try the Tacuna 3 as well. It is amazingly dynamic.

Dirty Shirley. You can also control the Drive with a modifier attached to an expression pedal. You can set the min - max. Very cool.

... slightly crunchy rhythm to full solo tone just using your guitar volume knob, without a big jump in perceived volume ..

Check out the Two-Stone (Two-Rock) J35-1 with gain and master all the way up with a 4x12 V30 or 2x12 Double Verb cab afterwards. The breakup in that amp is phenomenal and allows the versatility of what you're referencing. Possibly put a ZenMaster in front of the signal chain for an added boost!

Back
Top Bottom