Amps & Cabs: On Presenting Information

I think this just calls attention to how valuable a resource Yek's amp guide is. We're all grateful for his efforts. FAS, more than most modeler makers, is dependent on the kindness of strangers, but with something as valuable as the amp guide, maybe they should dedicate some effort to making sure it's maintained. I'd like to see it embedded in an amp picker in Axe-Edit.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ming-of-amp-models.172419/page-2#post-2514863

Last edited:
Isn’t it impossible to auto match amp and cab? I mean the mic position is an important factor as is the choice of mic. Multiple irs of the same cab are often present, not? Whatever is matched will never be good enough for the purists. Also, speakers present in the cabs will differ in real life too right?
If you really want the amp and cab pairs I think Austinbuddy’s pack is the way.

Another thing I recommend is to read through some of the huge York Audio threads here and on TGP. You will learn a lot and may want no other (commercial) IRs ;) After that, please share your notes in a nice and organized way :p
I would share mine (unorganized), but I probably lost them after an SSD crash... No big deal -- it's just 6 weeks of reading :p

having an auto-cab match for the amp selected can give many people peace of mind.

with various sessions teaching people over the years, we've compared tones with the "correct" speaker and "wrong" speaker, and even though the wrong speaker gave the qualities they were asking for in tone, they ultimately chose the correct/matching speaker because it felt more correct than the other one. then we proceeded to EQ the heck out of things to get it in the ballpark of what that other speaker already did. definitely happened more than once.

sometimes the eyes and mind determine tone more than the ears.

I think this just calls attention to how valuable a resource Yek's amp guide is. We're all grateful for his efforts. FAS, more than most modeler makers, is dependent on the kindness of strangers, but with something as valuable as the amp guide, maybe they should dedicate some effort to making sure it's maintained. I'd like to see it embedded in an amp picker in Axe-Edit.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ming-of-amp-models.172419/page-2#post-2514863

Plan is to wrap the next edition of the guide in a modular online format, to support easier linking and embedding.

1. The Wiki is hosted by Fractal but is maintained by volunteers, as said above.
  2. Fractal is a very fast moving target and tracking the changes to the system and finding the comments about it is a daily and daunting task. Incorporating that into the Wiki becomes bewildering.
  3. The amp list in the Wiki contains comments from leaders in the music industry about their favorite amp+cab combinations, drawing on their experiences, not only from what is modeled. We are expected to educate ourselves about the referenced cabs and their components and decide whether they will be the best sounding combination for our own sound. Just like we would in real life, like we’ve done for years.
  4. The amp guide, like its cab corollary, is also a voluntary effort. It’s not important whether the units on the cover are current.
The amp and cab lists in the Wiki compile information gathered from all over the internet over many years. It’s educational, it’s anecdotal, it’s to provide a repository to help us. If you have issues with it then there are two different paths you can take, either jump in and help fix and maintain it, or don’t use it because it doesn’t meet your standards.

In any case I think Yek needs to be thanked for his years of curating and managing the Wiki, the amp and cab guides, and his time helping in the forums.
FINALLY
After years around this subject, a coment that solves the arguments from both sides.

1708128005967.png

Plan is to wrap the next edition of the guide in a modular online format, to support easier linking and embedding.
This will be amazing @yek! Your amp guide is my “go to” for everything amp related on the Axe III. Your hard work is very much appreciated sir! You are a credit to the forum!

Here's one reason why:

The people who usually ask why there's no amp + matching cab option are the same people who never bother to look at the factory presets and see what cabs are matched with what amps.

The factory presets are -very- useful.
Oh, of course... super practical... Just have to remember to recall a preset called "Cork sniffer" to remember which speaker it's generally used in a Dumble combo, or browsing through pages and pages on internet to get a clue of which cab to start

My solution to this when I was new to the AXE-FX III was to utilise the block library.

I created saved blocks of the amp channels arranged as close as I could get to the modelled amp and labelled with the real world name.

Then created saved cab blocks of the IR’s paired and labelled with the real world name as best I could.

This way I pick and amp, search for the amp name or manufacturer name in the saved cab blocks and I have somewhere to start that is reasonably matched.

This made making presets super fast and gave my ear an “education” on what was available, things that are intended to work well together and do and things that are intended to work well together and don’t and all the grey in between.

Over the years as I’ve learned more I find I “mis-match” amps and cabs a lot nowadays. I gravitate towards particular cabs for lots of uses that may have never been intended to be used with the amp I pair it with.

Edit - Not an automated solution I know but the best method I could come up with given the tools we have.

Last edited:
I've never seen a community so united against a common sense feature.
Honestly when I bought my fm3 I which they were some kind « automatic pairing ».

But it’s definitely not a good idea. Irs are a real rabbit hole and what can be great for one is not for the other.

The factory preset are a good start. And it’s not that difficult if you choose an amp to know what « default irl » cab is generally sold with. Just hit the search button in the edit and you have multiple flavors of your favorite cab/speaker.

DCs make this much better since a big part of the issue, imo, has been the organization (disorganization really) of the legacy on board cabs list which is really a fairly inconsistent list of various mics / mic positions on various cabs supplied by various IR makers with a not so consistent naming standard - a hodge podge to choose from. DCs / CL4 adds a true "cab level" choice from a manageable list of cab items, then you dive into graphical mic / mic position choices from there, no different than irl - waaay more manageable and intuitive.

I think people sometimes confuse this issue with the ease of choosing a cab with an amp head purely for amp in the room usage, for which the comparison to amp modelling with IRs does not really hold. The comparison makes more sense to be made between modelled amp + IR selection, and real life mic'd cab selection which requires choosing a real life room, mic, mic placement, mic pre ... - there's not going to be any "default" recommended settings for those things in the physical amp head and supposedly matching cab's user manual or marketing literature (+ it seems common not to use the "recommended" cab to go with a given amp head any way, and/or it's common for peeps to change the speaker in a combo to something that does not "suck").

Last edited:
I think people sometimes confuse this issue with the ease of choosing a cab with an amp head purely for amp in the room usage, for which the comparison to modelling does not really hold. The comparison makes more sense to be made between modelled amp + IR selection, and real life mic'd cab selection which requires choosing a real life room, mic, mic placement, mic pre ... - there's not going to be any "default" recommended settings for those things
This point has been made numerous times in numerous threads discussing this topic (which I know you already know)... And yet many people still don't seem to get it.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand...

This point has been made numerous times in numerous threads discussing this topic (which I know you already know)... And yet many people still don't seem to get it.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand...
ya, it's apples / oranges, but still, I suspect the legacy cab list may contribute to some users' reaction, to the 1000s of specific IR choices presented to pair with their selected amp model (within which the much fewer actual cab level choices are buried). DCs, providing the simple cab level selection first (separately), before leading into mic/mic placement options within that selected cab, is a much much simpler, and stepped / guided approach.

(not sure they would bother, now that DCs have arrived, but, with some naming standard tweaking, the legacy list might be able to be reformed into a levelled list where one first selects "cab" from a dropdown which then reduces the list of IRs to mic/mic placements within the selected cab. I tend to just use the search term currently to narrow the selection down - there is enough naming standard there now I think, that that can be done (along with the color coding) to make the legacy list somewhat reasonably navigable).

Back
Top Bottom