Amps & Cabs: On Presenting Information

RationalRocker

I bought my Axe FX 3 June 2023 and I wish I had joined this forum earlier. It's obiously a very fertile place for information.

I still consider myself still very much a noob using this unit. Before this I have owned only 2 amps (including my very first tiny practice hand-sized amp). So my amp usage history only owning one proper amp combo, then using a few plugins, to the Axe FX, which is pretty much 99% of what I use now.

When I watched reviews about the Axe FX, people would say the most difficult thing about using the unit was the manual controls. Honestly I was able to use then fairly well (at least on my basic level) after about a day, yes they are frustration, but that's not the hardest thing. For me the most difficult thing is still being able to pair amps with the right cab, even with Yek's guide, FAS Amp Galllery, and the wikis.

I recently tried the tonex plugin demo. The best thing about it was that not only were amps and cabs automatically paired for you as a starter but more importantly there is a table showing the real amp model and the default cab match next to each other in a table. You'll find a PDF of it if you google for "TONEX v1.1.4 Tone Models". Thing is, I started using their document with the FA Amp and Cab wikis and I got great sounds immediately from the Axe FX. Sometimes I get frustrated thinking "there must be something wrong with my unit", but no, it's always something like, I'm using the wrong amp altogether or not using the best cab for that amp, or something like that.

A document like the Tonex one that starts you off on the right track, the current FA guides don't give you this immediate "default" match. By far the most amount of time I spend is frustratingly scrambling around matching amps to cabs.

The Axe FX presents you with such bewildering choices and possibilities, it's so easy to get lost and frustrated. Helpful starter documents like the tonex one go a long way indeed.

I bought my Axe FX 3 June 2023 and I wish I had joined this forum earlier. It's obiously a very fertile place for information.

I still consider myself still very much a noob using this unit. Before this I have owned only 2 amps (including my very first tiny practice hand-sized amp). So my amp usage history only owning one proper amp combo, then using a few plugins, to the Axe FX, which is pretty much 99% of what I use now.

When I watched reviews about the Axe FX, people would say the most difficult thing about using the unit was the manual controls. Honestly I was able to use then fairly well (at least on my basic level) after about a day, yes they are frustration, but that's not the hardest thing. For me the most difficult thing is still being able to pair amps with the right cab, even with Yek's guide, FAS Amp Galllery, and the wikis.

I recently tried the tonex plugin demo. The best thing about it was that not only were amps and cabs automatically paired for you as a starter but more importantly there is a table showing the real amp model and the default cab match next to each other in a table. You'll find a PDF of it if you google for "TONEX v1.1.4 Tone Models". Thing is, I started using their document with the FA Amp and Cab wikis and I got great sounds immediately from the Axe FX. Sometimes I get frustrated thinking "there must be something wrong with my unit", but no, it's always something like, I'm using the wrong amp altogether or not using the best cab for that amp, or something like that.

A document like the Tonex one that starts you off on the right track, the current FA guides don't give you this immediate "default" match. By far the most amount of time I spend is frustratingly scrambling around matching amps to cabs.

The Axe FX presents you with such bewildering choices and possibilities, it's so easy to get lost and frustrated. Helpful starter documents like the tonex one go a long way indeed.

Links:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yeks_Guide_to_the_Fractal_Audio_Amp_Models

Last edited:
OP a lot of people are about to blame you for the amp/cab matching troubles you're facing.

But let me just tell you that you're absolutely correct.

Having to leave Edit to figure out a matching cab is objectively a failure of the interface.

The amp guide hasn't been updated in almost seven years. Still has AX8 and Axe-FX II on the cover.

The wiki references point amps to cabs thet aren't even on the unit.

Literally none of these guides reference matching DynaCabs.

Still lots of improvements possible in this regard.

Last edited:
OP a lot of people are about to blame you for the amp/cab matching troubles you're facing.

But let me just tell you that you're absolutely correct.

Having to leave Edit to figure out a matching cab is objectively a failure of the interface.

The amp guide hasn't been updated in almost seven years. Still has AX8 and Axe-FX II on the cover.

Regarding the guides ...

Unless I'm mistaken, those guides were created by volunteers and maintained as best they can when they have time.

Something I'm not mistaken about: There's lots of good info in those guides.

Here's one reason why:

The people who usually ask why there's no amp + matching cab option are the same people who never bother to look at the factory presets and see what cabs are matched with what amps.

The factory presets are -very- useful.
So...if you ever want to use new amp models in the future...keep the factory presets on your device at all times?

Even though a bunch of them point to legacy IRs that aren't the real-life cab, like the Dr. Z presets?

We're saying this is more useful than auto-cab matching, or a recommended cab in Edit?

So...if you ever want to use new amp models in the future...keep the factory presets on your device at all times?

Even though a bunch of them point to legacy IRs that aren't the real-life cab, like the Dr. Z presets?

We're saying this is more useful than auto-cab matching, or a recommended cab in Edit?

Legacy cabinets doesn't always mean "worse". Neal Schon is still using one of the older cabinets IRs on tour with Journey (see his his gift of Tone). And he's just one of many examples. This is not an exception to the rule. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

I recommend to a lot of my clients to use factory presets as a starting point, there's most likely something in there for everyone. Then you can make a copy into an empty user slot, tweak the tones, subtract what you don't need and you're on your way.

This is but one example of how it's not always easy to do simple things on the Axe-FX. Part of the issue is that the Axe-FX is so flexible, but the fact is it's not an either/or. You can have flexibility and still offer a streamlined user experience. There have been suggestions in the past about how to add amp/cab matching in the Axe-FX, but the explanation for the status quo IMHO is that ease of use is simply not as high a priority for FAS as it is for other modelers. The appearance of DynaCabs gives me hope that there might be a shift coming in that prioritization.

I recommend to a lot of my clients to use factory presets as a starting point, there's most likely something in there for everyone. Then you can make a copy into an empty user slot, tweak the tones, subtract what you don't need and you're on your way.
This is objectively a more inefficient and time-consuming workflow than an auto-matching/recommend feature.

1. The Wiki is hosted by Fractal but is maintained by volunteers, as said above.
  2. Fractal is a very fast moving target and tracking the changes to the system and finding the comments about it is a daily and daunting task. Incorporating that into the Wiki becomes bewildering.
  3. The amp list in the Wiki contains comments from leaders in the music industry about their favorite amp+cab combinations, drawing on their experiences, not only from what is modeled. We are expected to educate ourselves about the referenced cabs and their components and decide whether they will be the best sounding combination for our own sound. Just like we would in real life, like we’ve done for years.
  4. The amp guide, like its cab corollary, is also a voluntary effort. It’s not important whether the units on the cover are current.
The amp and cab lists in the Wiki compile information gathered from all over the internet over many years. It’s educational, it’s anecdotal, it’s to provide a repository to help us. If you have issues with it then there are two different paths you can take, either jump in and help fix and maintain it, or don’t use it because it doesn’t meet your standards.

In any case I think Yek needs to be thanked for his years of curating and managing the Wiki, the amp and cab guides, and his time helping in the forums.

Sure. The brand of, or the legend on the cabinet means little. The construction and components are the important things and a lot of cabinets are so similar that they are interchangeable and we can mix and match and get the same results.

This is a similar situation where we use our ears and not our eyes.

1. The Wiki is hosted by Fractal but is maintained by volunteers, as said above.
  2. Fractal is a very fast moving target and tracking the changes to the system and finding the comments about it is a daily and daunting task. Incorporating that into the Wiki becomes bewildering.
  3. The amp list in the Wiki contains comments from leaders in the music industry about their favorite amp+cab combinations, drawing on their experiences, not only from what is modeled. We are expected to educate ourselves about the referenced cabs and their components and decide whether they will be the best sounding combination for our own sound. Just like we would in real life, like we’ve done for years.
  4. The amp guide, like its cab corollary, is also a voluntary effort. It’s not important whether the units on the cover are current.
The amp and cab lists in the Wiki compile information gathered from all over the internet over many years. It’s educational, it’s anecdotal, it’s to provide a repository to help us. If you have issues with it then there are two different paths you can take, either jump in and help fix and maintain it, or don’t use it because it doesn’t meet your standards.

In any case I think Yek needs to be thanked for his years of curating and managing the Wiki, the amp and cab guides, and his time helping in the forums.
+1k!

Back
Top Bottom