amp relays short-to-sleeve?

alexwald

I own an ENGL Savage and plan to use relay switching with FX8.
is it safe to do so? I have no idea if the amp is “short-to-sleeve” or anything else, I can only say it has 2 rear TRS connectors dedicated for relays.

also, how about for Laney ironheart? is it “short-to-sleeve”?

thanks for help

Plug in a trs jack lead and use a bit of wire to short first the tip and then the ring to the sleve in turn. You should see the amp functions selected accordingly.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

just got an answer from an ENGL technician (regarding engl savage):

"switching is working Sleeve (GND) to Ring and Sleeve (GND) to Tip."

I'm not an technician, can anyone confirm this is short to sleeve?

just got an answer from an ENGL technician (regarding engl savage):

"switching is working Sleeve (GND) to Ring and Sleeve (GND) to Tip."

I'm not an technician, can anyone confirm this is short to sleeve?

Yes

Hey guys, I've got an FX8 on the way to me. Unfortunately, I'm brain dead when it comes to this relay thing. I've got a Mesa 5:25 Express Plus. According to the Mesa manual re External Switching:

Four ¼ “ jacks trigger the SOLO, CHANNEL, EQ and REVERB feature of each Channel when you want to control your Express Plus with a master external switcher. In this way you can call up the sounds on your Express Plus remotely without connecting the Footswitch and have your effects and amp sounds respond to a single button(possibly midi) program change command. Simply connect standard unshielded (speaker) ¼” phone cables to these four jacks and short the “tip” to “ground” to activate the features. This standard tip-to-ground “latching type” logic is supported on most all master switching devices, so all you will have to do is program what ports on your switcher will be grounded under which programs."

Can anyone confirm this is the same as "short to sleeve" and I'll be able to use the FX8 with the Mesa to switch channels? Thanks!

EDIT 5/23/24: Both Mesa and Fractal support have confirmed the switching on the Express+ is short to sleeve. For those technically challenged (like me), sleeve = ground.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've got an FX8 on the way to me. Unfortunately, I'm brain dead when it comes to this relay thing. I've got a Mesa 5:25 Express Plus. According to the Mesa manual re External Switching:

Four ¼ “ jacks trigger the SOLO, CHANNEL, EQ and REVERB feature of each Channel when you want to control your Express Plus with a master external switcher. In this way you can call up the sounds on your Express Plus remotely without connecting the Footswitch and have your effects and amp sounds respond to a single button(possibly midi) program change command. Simply connect standard unshielded (speaker) ¼” phone cables to these four jacks and short the “tip” to “ground” to activate the features. This standard tip-to-ground “latching type” logic is supported on most all master switching devices, so all you will have to do is program what ports on your switcher will be grounded under which programs."

Can anyone confirm this is the same as "short to sleeve" and I'll be able to use the FX8 with the Mesa to switch channels? Thanks!
The sleeve of the connector is the ground connection. So shorting tip to ground is the same as shorting tip to sleeve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom