Amp in the Room?

This conversation reminds me of the "Harmonic Converger". That external device made by Radley to give a "magic character" to the guitar modellers (before the Fractal Audio era). I did buy one of these for the Boss GT Pro.

He claimed that his secret circuit was not just an equalizer and that it restored "tube-amp essence". Cliff demonstrated at the old forum, with an spectral analysis, that it was only an equalizer.

Is this anything like the Turbo Encabulator?

Not everyone.

Is this a “cabinet simulator block” though? I don’t understand what that means.

I don't know why someone doesn't create modeled speaker IRs so we can get closer to full speaker sounds without the mic and mic proximity baked in.

I don't know why someone doesn't create modeled speaker IRs so we can get closer to full speaker sounds without the mic and mic proximity baked in.

Modeled speaker IRs??

If you want to capture something, there always has to be a mic, and there is always distance.

Modeled speaker IRs??

If you want to capture something, there always has to be a mic, and there is always distance.

I am not talking about capturing a real speaker. I mean creating a simulated IR which is what I assume Line 6 is doing with the Powercab.

So basically you're talking about a real cab simulation, which you could export an IR from? That would of course be very handy and has been requested quite a few times. Would of course be a killer application! Doesn't need to come from Fractal, all we need is an exported wav file :)

I’ve been curious about this for some time. Not to create an IR , seems that would still be static,, but an actual block of modeled mechanical speakers (such as the amp block models all the components of the amps interacting so well) then have the ability to eq or shape , add mic color etc.

I am not talking about capturing a real speaker. I mean creating a simulated IR which is what I assume Line 6 is doing with the Powercab.

Juding from the reviews, Line 6 hasn't achieved very succesful results in that area...

But is this discussion not just another "far-field" IRs debate?
Where only Jay Mitchell claims to have captured IRs that live up to expectations.

Juding from the reviews, Line 6 hasn't achieved very succesful results in that area...
I have a PC+. I think the modeled speakers sound great. IR mode does not sound as good as the ALTO's that I had previously.

Where only Jay Mitchell claims to have captured IRs that live up to expectations.
TBH - I was not that impressed with the far-field IR's. They didn't sound bad, but I didn't think it was anywhere near AITR.

Didn't someone at sometime say that we would never get a modeled Guitar Amp? Maybe there could be a Cab modeler in our future? One can only hope.

Hasn't @antcarrier? ;)
Please Yek, you are above the cork sniffing appearance of this post. This is not an exclusive club of elites with golden ears as much as we would like to think it is.
I see no cork sniffing or elitism. He's just saying a 10-band para/graph-EQ + a low-pass filter cannot replicate the sonic result of most guitar cab IRs.

The whole point of this thread and this method is that it gets you a different result than guitar cab IRs, not the same.

I see no reason an IR cant be modeled and adjusted from within the parameter rather than trying to duplicate this with 10,000 IR's of basically treble and bass manipulation. Really when it comes down to IR's I listen and say too bassy too trebly too boomy too muddy ah just right, kinda thing. Ive asked for such a modeler many a time.

In fact in reality most of us probably find a decent IR, then adjust all the other parameters, equalizers, cuts and boosts to get what we really want, even if the IR wasnt perfect to begin with.

Hasn't @antcarrier? ;)

I see no cork sniffing or elitism. He's just saying a 10-band para/graph-EQ + a low-pass filter cannot replicate the sonic result of most guitar cab IRs.

"If one can't hear the difference between Filter+EQ and an IR, one shouldn't have gotten an Axe-Fx in the first place."

Saying that anyone should not have gotten an AXE if they can't hear the difference is not the same as saying there is a difference.
Anyway I was just saying that the the post had the APPEARANCE of elitism.

I do imagine that "IR-less" physical modeling of speakers with virtual mics will continue to grow and improve.
Indeed... I even imagine "modeled speakers" will surpass what is capable in the real world. For example:
-- a speaker curve that is slightly modulated in realtime to give the sound a unique quality. Imagine a "modeled speaker" that were essentially a 124 band EQ (or more), and then imagine that you could modulate any number of those bands with an LFO (or other modulator). Interesting stuff.
-- a modeled speaker for which the resonances are slightly "retuned" in realtime based on a pitch detection algorithm. Essentially "listening" to the guitar and then boosting harmonic frequencies or cutting dissonant ones.

I'm sure someone smarter than me can think of cooler examples of what is possible.

Cab IRs are a snapshot. I wonder what is dynamically moving, changing sound wise and what circumstances you would consider applying to a model. We already have dynamic eqs but they respond to content and are not modeled to be anything. I’m sorry my head just exploded.

Back
Top Bottom