"Amp in the room" - Why?

My rig of AxeFX through audio interface / Adam A5 studio monitors (or even direct into the studio monitors) does not sound or feel similar to my tube amps (yet). I have faith that the Fractomic FRFR will bridge this gap a little more, but truth be told the sound that DOES currently come out of the studio monitors IS pretty sweet, in stereo and the recording direct makes up for all of it anyway. But no, I have yet to find a setup with the AxeFX that sounds the same open and natural in sound (and texture) as my tube amp(s).
I'm an audience of one (unless the kids are downstairs watching Power Rangers or something) so the concerns about mic'd sound to FOH or "what the crowd hears" don't concern me in the least.

"On the other hand, we have lost one or 2 that have plugged back into their amps, found that 'in the room' feel, and went back to it. Why they didn't do a 4 cable method or some such, I don't understand, but there's beauty in variety."
-- I would argue that the 4 cable method is not going to use the AxeFX to it's fullest potential and for the investment in the AxeFX for many, not using the AxeFX to it's fullest potential is an unacceptable compromise. Some people just can't afford to keep a tube amp(s) AND and AxeFX rig around at the same time...
That being said, I am definitely going to dig into the 4 cable method this time. I did not realize that it's fairly easy (even though I still don't know how) to use the amps preamp OR the axeFX amp sims through a tube amp along with pre/post amp FX all at the same time. I thought with the 4CM you are always using your tube amps preamp, then only using the AxeFX for "virtual pedals" in front of and/or after the tube amps preamp section.

Jay Mitchell said:
paulmapp8306 said:
1. I know the Axe wasnt intended to sound like and amp, but a mic'd amp originally.
And just how do you "know" that? Since I began participating in the forum more than 2 years ago, I've seen the assertion from a couple users, but I've not once seen anything from Cliff to that effect. If you have seen such a statement from him, I'd really appreciate a link.

However with so many people actually after that sound - and with the acknowledgment its possible with the correct far IRs, I feel some should be included as stock.
Some - precisely, three - are "included as stock." You're welcome. :cool:

[quote:117mkf62]It cant be hard to add 3 or 4 (say a 1x12, a 2x12 and a couple of 4x12s) in a firmware update.
It wasn't hard at all, and it was done quite a few months back. Apparently it escaped your notice.[/quote:117mkf62]

OK - thanks for that.

1. I havent seen a quote from Cliff either. I guess I was just accepting it as people keep saying "its a micd up sound". I know it was also meant to be a real amp sound, but with a Power amp and cab rather that FRFR.

2. I knew you'd added some cabs, but didnt know which ones. I also wasnt sure if they were "far" or "close" mic'd. Ive had the axe a year, but as I use an SLA-1 and cab at present Ive only skimmed the cabs for the odd recording,

3. As above I didnt really miss it - I just wernr using the cabs till recently so they were already there. Just didnt know which are far mic'd.

So - Ill try those and see how I get on. My interest in cab IRs for "in the room" sound is the prospect of the Atomic FR.

electronpirate said:
Again, the POINT is that EVEN IF THERE ARE OPTIONS (like IR's), the installed cabs are not widely used.

Jay Mitchell said:
I believe you are completely mistaken here. I would wager that the majority of Axe-Fx users have never uploaded a custom IR and instead use the factory ones. We're both speculating, of course. :cool:

If anyone would like to know it exactly, you could add a poll. But the results would be only representative within the group of "forum users who take part in polls".

In most of my own patches, I use the factory IRs and I find them very usable for my purposes. Maybe I should start a factory IR appreciation thread one day.
I also appreciate the option of loading user IRs and I use this option occasionally. Anyway, no one is forced to make a religuous decision for one option and against the other. You can have both, Country and Western. :geek:
Plus, the factory IRs are easier to use. You can even use them when you do not own a computer. And I know such people.

Back
Top Bottom