Amp help

Stever16

I play in a classic rock cover band and also a Cinderella tribute band. New to fractal, and just got an FM9. Although I’m having a lot of fun learning this thing, I’m a bit overwhelmed. Hoping for help finding a thick 80’s metal tone. Everything I dial up seems a bit thin. I’m playing thru a Headrush FRFR12. Any tips appreciated. Thanks

I play in a classic rock cover band and also a Cinderella tribute band. New to fractal, and just got an FM9. Although I’m having a lot of fun learning this thing, I’m a bit overwhelmed. Hoping for help finding a thick 80’s metal tone.
Have you worked through the factory presets to get an idea what the unit can do? Turn up the sound to stage level and you'll probably be surprised.

Everything I dial up seems a bit thin.
If you're not familiar with the Fletcher-Munson effect, it's worth reading about what it is and how it affects us.

"Thin" typically means your EQing isn't being done correctly. I have to keep a quiet house so I use good headphones to EQ my presets at a loud volume, again 90-95 dB. Then when I get set up on stage I adjust the EQ, then work with FOH on level and the EQ a bit more, and that helps get a good tone I like.

An additional problem is that when EQing and setting gain at home, either using headphones or not enough volume, is that we have no or little acoustic coupling between the guitar and the speakers. That's an important part of the guitar's sound on stage or in the studio, because it makes the guitar sound a lot fatter. We can try to recreate it with EQ by increasing the lows and low-mids, but then when you're on stage the sound will be too fat and boomy. We can improve the sound by either having more volume or by standing closer to the speaker. Cliff talks about that in The "Modelers Don't Clean Up with the Volume Knob" Myth.

A follow-up problem is that, without that acoustic coupling pumping up the guitar's sound, we tend to turn up the gain in the Amp block so we get more sustain, but, once we're in the "real" environment we suddenly have too much gain and the guitar won't respond to the volume knob like we want and we can get a lot of feedback. When I get done working on a preset at home I do another check and make sure my gain is a bit less than I think it should be, because sure as shootin' it's gonna go way up when I get done turning up my speakers. :)

These modelers can get a great sound but physics require we play by its rules, so turn up the volume, and turn down the gain.

I’m playing thru a Headrush FRFR12.
The Headrush 112 is not the best example of a FRFR. It's possible to EQ it to help flatten it, but, again, run it at 90+ dB to get it working a little.

Not exactly your issue, maybe, but there are lots of comments here about the Headrush not being very accurate, or sounding very good, especially at volume.

Various folks have liked various alternatives at various price points. One that's well liked, including by me, is the EV PXM - 12MP. Not as inexpensive as the Headrush but way better.

More directly to your point, I'm not an expert on tones for either of those genres, but I'd start with the factory presets, Leon Todd and Cooper Carter's videos, and maybe Austin Buddy's Live Gold of you don't mind commercialware.

HOWEVER!!! Don't forget to have fun! Pull up an amp and cab you know, or that players in those areas use, turn the obvious knobs - BMT gain and volume - until you find something you dig, and rock out! You'll find the Axe responds very much like the real thing.

The EV's are the cat's meow according to many well respected members here. I am more interested in some of the hybrid backline focused FR's coming out now.

Examples: the Fender FR12 (half the price of the EV's), BlueAmps, etc.

There are many new ones coming out too from Raezor's Edge and others.

I think these will end up providing the best of both worlds between traditional guitar cab and FRFR.

The Fenders are getting a good amount of love here on the forum. Since they are only around $500 and change, that is the one that has my attention at the moment.

Last edited:
I'll throw my advice in the ring....
1. Welcome!
2. @Greg Ferguson will not steer you wrong nor will many others around there.
3. An EV PXM-12mp will get the job done. It's a beast. Use monitor 2 setting for best results.
4. Remember that you're hearing a mic'd cabinet. It may sound thin at first, but it'll be great through a P.A. and band mix when you get the volume cranked up. If you get too thick of tone from the start, it'll probably be muddy and not cut in the band mix.
5. Mids are your friend.
6. Add some parameters to the "Performance Page" so you can tweak easily at a gig.
7. Maybe try a digital delay at 7-10ms to thicken up your guitar if you're the only guitarist.

For me personally, I play a ton of rock/hard rock/metal stuff and have good luck using an IR of a 4x12 with a single 57. Then use the "proximity" parameter to give it some bottom end (essentially doing what Dyna-Cabs does. YMMV. I just haven't fully committed to DC on all of my presets. Maybe try the Lynch 57 cab in Factory 2 and add some proximity. Again YMMV. You may need the Lynch 121 mixed in some.

Last edited:
I'll throw my advice in the ring....
1. Welcome!
2. @Greg Ferguson will not steer you wrong nor will many others around there.
3. An EV PXM-12mp will get the job done. It's a beast. Use monitor 2 setting for best results.
4. Remember that you hearing a mic'd cabinet. It may sound thin at first, but it'll be great through a P.A. and band mix when you get the volume cranked up. If you get too thick of tone from the start, it'll probably be muddy and not cut in the band mix.
5. Mids are your friend.
6. Add some parameters to the "Performance Page" so you can tweak easily at a gig.
7. Maybe try a digital delay at 7-10ms to thicken up your guitar if you're the only guitarist.

For me personally, I play a ton of rock/hard rock/metal stuff and have good luck using an IR of a 4x12 with a single 57. Then use the "proximity" parameter to give it some bottom end (essentially doing what Dyna-Cabs does. YMMV. I just haven't fully committed to DC on all of my presets. Maybe try the Lynch 57 cab in Factory 2 and add some proximity. Again YMMV. You may need the Lynch 121 mixed in some
Can’t find the Lynch 57?

If everything sounds a bit thin it could be your monitoring system (in this case the Headrush). I have the EV PXM-12MP and it doesn't sound thin. I also have the Fender FR-12 and it sounds even beefier...more like a real cab. And it's less expensive as a bonus.

However as others have said, make sure you're listening at gig level if using an FRFR. If you can't listen loud you're better off using some good studio monitors.

There are many new ones coming out too from Raezor's Edge and others.
i got mine for $800 this year. im seeing the fr12 for $550. no hiss, multiple inputs and numerous ways to position the cabinet easily bridge the price gap for me. but im definitely surprised at the fr12 pricing and the great reviews herein).

to OP:
also, pay attention to the thumbtack in the upper right corner of the windows when selecting fx, amps & cabs. enable the looper, play something, open the cab/amp picker, use the thumbtack and then use the arrow up/dwn keys to navigate through the numerous options w the looper playing. took me a while to put it all together but it's SO HELPFUL as a time saver

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom